online now

discussions

New AnyRoom DVR Installation - Observations and Feedback

109 REPLIES
Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 1 of 110 (671 Views)

Re: New AnyRoom DVR Installation - Observations and Feedback

Still no fix for my cable tv. It's been out since tues and they said the earliest someone could come out would be Saturday. This is totally unacceptable especially when you have children. I've had it with Comcast - I'm having the uverse people out tomorrow. You would think Comcast would care especially since I pay them almost $600 a month and have been a customer for 15 years.
Posted by
Visitor
Message 2 of 110 (709 Views)

Please post your AVR receiver make and model and the RNG150N firmware version.

I have the Yamaha RX-V367 and the RNG150N is at 22.65.

Tech was out again yesterday to reinstall the RNG150N (replacing a working standard HD box and still has drop outs on all outputs; HDMI, optical and RCA.  He said there are a bunch of upgrades being pushed out this week and we are hoping for an update.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 3 of 110 (718 Views)

So great, after finally having things working fairly well for a couple of months, my clock is now fast again by 5 hours both on my anyroom dvr and in the guide.  AND, I have no picture.  Of course I tried unplugging it, calling comcast, sending re-fresh signals.  All I get is a subscription error and a message to call comcast for ordering information.  God this sucks!

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 4 of 110 (923 Views)

No, the boxes are not smart enough to know where you stop and resume recordings.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 5 of 110 (925 Views)

I began watching a recording on the "slave" box but when I returned to the master dvr, the recording was still at the beginning, so I had to fast forward to where I left off on the slave box.  Is that normal? So you can "resume" watching something on the slave but if you go back to the main dvr the show won't be at the position you left off on the slave?

Posted by
Visitor
  • The Community would like to Welcome you!

Message 6 of 110 (997 Views)

Called and ordered Any Room DVR service as a Triple Play upgrade.  

Comcast's automated scheduling dialer confirmed 3x that they would arrive and complete the install between 9-11 AM today.  So I took off work to be home and meet the install technician.  

Around 9:15 AM they called and said the tech was outside my door.  I looked outside and no one was there.  Phone scheduler asked if I was on the third floor.  I replied no, I live in a house.  Scheduler said they made a mistake and apologized.  They had called the wrong customer. 

Around 9:30 AM another scheduler called.  This one said that the technician was on his way but that when he stopped by their warehouse to pick up the Any Room DVR, they were all out.  He wanted to know if there was anything else I wanted the technician to do instead of install the service I ordered.  LOL.  I explained to him that no, I wanted the service installed and that they had obviously bungled their first pass at the install.  I told him that I had been reading these forums and was not surprised.  He agreed that these types of issues are going on all over the place and offered to have a supervisor contact me.  I said sure.  

1PM:  No one has called so far.  I guess I'll go back to work and try again another day.  Can't wait to see what happens next.  I thought Comcast had improved but see from my own experience and your comments that they have slipped back to their old ways.  

Posted by
Visitor

Message 7 of 110 (1,315 Views)

I am at the end of the block on a lake I am the last house.I currently have uverse 3 rooms and 18mbit internet. I tried to switch to comcast for 25mbit internet and since they finally got anyroom dvr it made sense to switch. I didnt cancel uverse. Last Saturday comcast comes and installs. The guy argued for 10 minutes that I have a panel or attic or wires. I told him the only thing uverse touched was the outlet in the living room.

After 30 minutes he got the main dvr working downstairs, then the two boxes upstairs. I test my internet speeds, I am suppose to get 25mbit i am only getting 10 He says its noise in the line and I have to call customer service? I told him youre the installer you call. I ended up calling, he pretty much left. He was a contractor. On the phone they tell me there is signal issues and will dispatch someone for Monday night 5-7pm. I deal with slow internet and anyroom DVR not working. Monday comes they cancel my appointment due to the tech running behind schedule, they promise tuesday. I told them I was going to cancel. Tuesday, REALLY GOOD tech comes, fixes all the issues and tells me that anyroom DVR isnt really comparible to uverse. I can only watch tv, play dvr, rewind / ffw on dvr. Everything else has to be done from the master DVR. WTH KIND OF DVR IS THIS? He tells me my slow speeds are due to a broken tap and the connection on the outside has line issues. He ran a new line and someone would come bury the line and replace the tap on Friday. Last night I come home, test speeds and it is still slow.

I removed all the comcast equipment, and reconnected my uverse. I canceled comcast. When they get a real DVR and update that god awful outdated guide and DVR maybe ill try it again. UVERSE guide and STB is so much better. When I saw the comcast guide it was the same guide from 5 years ago. NO UPDATES. At least uverse updates every 6-8 months..

While uverse is limited on the bandwidth..

Max bandwidth uverse can give is 32Mbit - each tv channel uses 8MBIT. If I watch / record 3-4 things, the internet drops after recording / watching 2 since it cuts into the total bandwidth available.

I

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 8 of 110 (1,441 Views)

Still waiting on SOMEONE who can fix the clock on my anyroom DVR.  So far, about 5 phone calls to customer service, 3 hours on hold, 4 people out to my house, 3 different DVR's and NO ONE, NO ONE has a freaking clue.  My clock on my dvr and on the guide are both 5 hours fast.  Yes, comcast I've tried unplugging it 256 times and that does not fix it. 

I can't be the only one with this issue.  Oh yea, the last guy out plugged all my input cables in wrong and it took my 5 days to figure out the correct way to hook all my surround sound, receiver, etc up. 

For $500 a month that I pay them, you would think the service would be just a tad better.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 9 of 110 (1,649 Views)

Hi folks,

Great thread...wouldn't it be nice if the Comcast folks read it. They might learn something about the products they offer.

Has anyone (else) had issues with the RNG150 terminals using optical (or coax) audio connections? I've had constant audio drop-outs on many channels. Most are only for part of a second or half of a word, but are very distracting. I've done as much troubleshooting as I can, swapping out terminal boxes, cables, inputs and even receivers. No help.

I had a DCX3400 in this exact same spot up until a couple weeks ago, and the audio worked fine, so I know the house wiring, etc. is OK.

Not much info on this problem on the forum, although there are HDMI audio issues. I'm using HDMI for video, direct to the TV, and optical to the receiver for audio. This is the 'fall back' configuration with HDMI audio problems, so I'm scratching my head.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 10 of 110 (1,696 Views)

Really, really disappointed with the anyroom dvr.  Guess it's my fault for not knowing that ONLY the main dvr box can pause, record, etc.  Does anyone know if U verse can do this?  If so, I'm taking all this stuff back or may just go back to having 4 regular DVR's. 

P.S. This forum is a hundred times more helpful than calling Comcast or having them come out.  They still don't know that you can't pause live tv on the anyroom dvr's.  I had to tell them that!

Posted by
Edited on
‎10-16-2012 04:00 PM

Official Employee

Message 11 of 110 (2,372 Views)

[ Edited ]

Apologies for the issues you described. I have contacted the Comcast team in Memphis and you should hear from someone on that team soon to get the issues resolved.

The satellite boxes are playback only devices; they are not DVRs and can not pause live TV. Your main DVR can pause live TV. Apologies for any mis-information that you received.

More info on that here: http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2 and

http://info.xfinity.com/Portal/content/Comcast/VideoMicrosites/onscreenguide2/anyroomdvr.aspx

DVR Manager should also work; it can take up to 24 hours for the DVR to sync.

For the clock time being off, this is a rare occurance.  

If you experience the issue of your led clock and guide displaying current time and listings, but the clock in the bottom right hand corner of the screen displaying time four hours later, follow these steps:

1) Unplug your DVR for 15 seconds
2) Plug your DVR back in and let it reload the guide data
3) Unplug your DVR for a second time for 15 seconds
4) Plug your DVR back in for a second time and let it reload the guide data. 

Check your bottom right hand corner clock. It should now be reset to the correct time in all three places.

The cable box must be reset at least twice in succession.

The team will also talk with you about getting that cable line put in the conduit or buried. Thanks for your patience and again apologies for these issues.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 12 of 110 (2,378 Views)

Brand new in the Memphis area to the anyroom DVR.   I can not pause live TV on any of the "satelite" boxes.  I was assured when I went with this package that I could do this.  I talked with someone in customer service for 50 min who had no clue how to fix this.  Was told someone would be out to my house this am from 9-11 and the automated line called me 3 times to confirm this, which I did.  Then I get an actual person who leaves me a message saying I havent responded and they are cancelling my appt!  Finally a guy shows up and says " oh you have the barcelona package, Im not trained on that".    UGH! 

I have no working home phone line, no ability to pause the tv, cant use my iphone to control things and my clock is 4 hours ahead.

Thinking very seriously of cancelling all and going to u verse.  Oh yea, I still have a cable laying across my driveway because the guys didn't know how to pull it through the conduit that my builder left for them. 

This just sucks.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 13 of 110 (2,494 Views)

Thanks for posting this info.  I had the exact same problem - no help from calling Comcast support - but I tried your step by step suggestion and it fixed the issue.

Why doesn't Comcast support know about this issue and resolution!!!!

Thanks again...

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 14 of 110 (2,766 Views)

AnyRoom uses MOCA over the coax, at a little over 1000mhz.  The installer will install a MOCA filter between the splitter and the ground block and test the signal level at each TV outlet.  It should work well in your situation with everything home run.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 15 of 110 (2,771 Views)

JayInAlg;

Thanks for your response!  I should have clarified that I am only contemplating to have the AnyRoom DVR system installed.  I installed all the cable TV wiring in my house last year and ran the additional wire to the TV I mentioned purposely and it is currently unused.  If I understand you correctly having home runs from each tv to one central point is a good thing!  How does the DVR communicate with the other boxes?

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 16 of 110 (2,792 Views)

Homerun would be correct, if there is a spare run, perhaps it is damaged and another run needed to be installed. (or it was already there, un-needed)

Posted by
Visitor
Message 17 of 110 (2,795 Views)

Does anyone know how this system is wired?  I have 5 TV's in my home and each one has one "home run" to a main distribution panel with the exception of one tv which has two cables (one unused) to the main distribution panel.  Would any additional wiring be needed?

Posted by
Contributor
Message 18 of 110 (2,841 Views)

Success!  I have anyroom DVR now!  Crossing fingers that it works like it's supposed to.

Posted by
Contributor
Message 19 of 110 (2,996 Views)

Somebody called and left a message for me to call them back; then nobody answered when I did.  The repair technician who came for the simpler things today took pity on me and called a dispatcher supervisor; that nice gentlemen has supposedly set me up to have everything installed on Tuesday of next week.

At least I got the dvr's turned back on while the technician was here.  Now I can empty them out, just in case nothing happens (again) on Tuesday.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 20 of 110 (3,049 Views)

MLurie wrote:

I think it's outrageous, too.  But for right now, they even have my existing DVR's turned off, some how; I have to wait until tomorrow (when they are supposedly coming out to do a couple of other things, much simpler things) to even get those turned back on.  I'm afraid to rock the boat until that's done, for fear of losing more of my service.

This has been a disaster.

Apologies for the experience so far, I have asked that the local team look at your account and work to get this right for you. Thanks for your patience.

Posted by
Contributor
Message 21 of 110 (3,051 Views)

I think it's outrageous, too.  But for right now, they even have my existing DVR's turned off, some how; I have to wait until tomorrow (when they are supposedly coming out to do a couple of other things, much simpler things) to even get those turned back on.  I'm afraid to rock the boat until that's done, for fear of losing more of my service.

This has been a disaster.

Posted by
Regular Contributor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 22 of 110 (3,065 Views)

When I wanted to have it installed, the first time tech actually came to my house, but was not trained, and admitted he could not do the installation. The second time I had an installation scheduled, they did stand me up, and no one showed up. I complained bitterly with Comcast when I scheduled it the third time. This time a Comcast employee showed up. He had already done the installation server times, knew exactly what he was doing, and within three hours, everything was working.<br><br>You say they have stood you up several and that is outrageous. keep trying. Once you get it installed, it really does work very well. Also, as far as I know, it only works on the RNG200N HDDVR, and RNG150N satellite boxes. <br><br>The IPhone app also works quite well now. I am on vacation this week in Florida. I left myDVR Turned on before I left, and last night I looked at the program guide for this week, and scheduled several movies to be recorded while I am away from home
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 23 of 110 (3,071 Views)

Posted by
Contributor
Message 24 of 110 (3,086 Views)

I could never get a service person here; they would simply stand me up with no phone call or anything.  Then I'd see a call "scheduled" on my account online, even though I had never talked to anybody.  I'd love to know how to get this installed.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 25 of 110 (3,105 Views)

AnyRoom DVR is indeed available in Olive Branch. I have had it installed and working for several weeks. The IPhone app now works as advertised for controlling TVs and HDDVR. You must get Comcast employee techs to install it. Contractors have not been trained to do this installation.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 26 of 110 (3,108 Views)

Posted by
Regular Contributor
  • Communication is Key. Way to go, keep it up. Congrats on 100 Replies!
  • On your way! Congrats on Posting 10 topics!

Message 27 of 110 (3,116 Views)

JayInAlg wrote:

The use MOCA over the coax.  Comcast has no solution for a wireless receiver.

Only U-Verse has a wireless receiver.

Thanks for the info. U-Verse was going to be my first choice in my oddly-wired house, but I found out it's not available in my area.

Posted by
Contributor
Message 28 of 110 (3,121 Views)

I also live in the Olive Branch area.  I have been "stood up" by Comcast four different times, and then told by a "supervisor" that Anyroom DVR is NOT available in the Olive Branch area.  I stayed by my telephone four separate days, with no contact from Comcast, taking days off work.

So, IS Anyroom DVR available in the Olive Branch area?  It would be wonderful if we could get past the robotic customer service people who can only recite what they are reading.  I'm about ready to just give up.

Posted by
Edited on
‎09-11-2012 09:03 PM

Cable Expert

Message 29 of 110 (3,149 Views)

[ Edited ]

They use MOCA over the coax.  Comcast has no solution for a wireless receiver.

Only U-Verse has a wireless receiver.

Posted by
Regular Contributor
  • Communication is Key. Way to go, keep it up. Congrats on 100 Replies!
  • On your way! Congrats on Posting 10 topics!

Message 30 of 110 (3,157 Views)

What medium do the remote boxes use to communicate with the master DVR? Coax? Ethernet? WiFi?

I'm hoping the answer is WiFi, because I have 1 unwired room where I'd like to put a TV.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 31 of 110 (3,576 Views)

Fixed it. 

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 32 of 110 (3,660 Views)

Hello and thanks for the reply.  Rough weekend as my house got a direct hit by lightening.  Doesnt matter how many UPS's you have, direct hit will blow things.

Anyways, I got the anyroom installed yesterday and I was very pleased with the installer and his way of working.  The new guide and funtionality is great.

I have one issue which I noticed last night.  Everytime I shut the TV off which has the RGN150 attached to it via HDMI, the cable box shuts off.  When I turn the TV back on again the rGN150 goes through the whole new setup routine.  IS there a trick or something I need to do to fix this?  Im sure this isnt correct.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 33 of 110 (3,775 Views)

No one had called for several days. So, this morning, I called Comcast app support back on my old ticket number and explained the problem yet again. This guy insisted again that the Iphone app should allow control of my RNG200N HDDVR via the MYDVR functionality of the app, and should allow me to change channels on any of the TVs attached to either the RNG200N or the two RNG150N satellite boxes. They opened up another ticket and scheduled a tech to come out to my house next week and try to resolve this issue. We shall see what happens. I hope that I do not receive any more calls from Tier 2 support swearing that the aforementioned functionality exists only on Motorola boxes, and not on any Cisco boxes whatsoever. I did indeed receive such calls twice before on previous tickets.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 34 of 110 (3,780 Views)

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 35 of 110 (3,790 Views)

PM ComcastTeds since he posted he opened up a ticket.   They usually respond the next day or two.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 36 of 110 (3,806 Views)

No one from Comcast has yet contacted me on my continuing problems with MYDVR not working on the IPhone Xfinity TV app.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 37 of 110 (3,807 Views)

Posted by
Contributor

Message 38 of 110 (3,831 Views)

In case any of you missed this link that Comcast Teds posted, it has some great information in it and I thought it would be worthwhile posting again.

http://info.xfinity.com/Portal/content/Comcast/VideoMicrosites/onscreenguide2/default.aspx

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 39 of 110 (3,861 Views)

pblanco10 wrote:

Hi Ted

I am currently testing out Comcast TV as I am considering leaving DTV due to the signal issues when bad weather is in the area.  I just received and activated the Cisco 200 and would like to add AnyroomDVR mainly for the guide, the current old guide looks terrible on a 60".  I am in the Miami area.  If I request anyroom service today via chat or call, would the guide be pushed to my Cisco prior to the satellite box being delivered and installed?

Thanks

Thanks for trying us out!

For AnyRoom DVR and the new guide, we would need to change out your currently installed cable boxes and get you those that are configured for the new guide and AnyRoom DVR. Professional installation is required.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 40 of 110 (3,865 Views)

Hi Regnal,

The techs came out this morning and installed the anyroom. I did, however, had to tell them the clock trick, so they did what I told them and the clocks are correct.

I just programmed all of my shows, which took forever to do, but it's only been a few hours and so far so good.

CT told me that the dvr's now have that "fix" so we shouldn't have those problems. If I do, back it goes.

Posted by
Edited on
‎08-02-2012 01:13 PM

Contributor

Message 41 of 110 (3,876 Views)

[ Edited ]

anita0817 wrote:

regnal,

Did they fix your Anyroom DVR problem when you got the old guide? A tech & supervisor is coming to my house tomorrow because of my reguar DVR guide problems, but they are bringing the Anyroom DVR if I want to have it, but with all of these problems  I'm not sure what to do.

Are you still having problems or are they fixed?

Thanks

Anita,

Sorry for the delayed response.

The tech hooked up the new DVR with an enormous amount of delay and frustration.  Nevertheless, he finally got it hooked up.  The new guide is back and the dreaded black screen problem has not appeared again.  

I thought it was funny when he said to me, "it's the DVR's and you can expect the same problems with this new one as you had with the old one.  What confidence.  But...so far, so good.

Note:  As stupid as I thought he and his comment were, this was the third exchange of the AnyRoom DVR so maybe he knows something the rest of Comcast just won't admit.

Posted by
Edited on
‎08-01-2012 05:28 PM

Regular Visitor
Message 42 of 110 (3,910 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Ted

I am currently testing out Comcast TV as I am considering leaving DTV due to the signal issues when bad weather is in the area.  I just received and activated the Cisco 200 and would like to add AnyroomDVR mainly for the guide, the current old guide looks terrible on a 60".  I am in the Miami area.  If I request anyroom service today via chat or call, would the guide be pushed to my Cisco prior to the satellite box being delivered and installed?

Thanks

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 43 of 110 (3,930 Views)

regnal,

Did they fix your Anyroom DVR problem when you got the old guide? A tech & supervisor is coming to my house tomorrow because of my reguar DVR guide problems, but they are bringing the Anyroom DVR if I want to have it, but with all of these problems  I'm not sure what to do.

Are you still having problems or are they fixed?

Thanks

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 44 of 110 (3,968 Views)

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 45 of 110 (3,972 Views)

Bowmanal wrote:
I am still totally confused about the Xfinity TV IPhone app. I have AnyRoom DVR and Guide 2.0 installed. I have An RMG200N HDDVR and two RNG150N HD satellite boxes installed, all of them Cisco boxes. AnyRoom DVR works fine, and the new guide is a major improvement. The IPhone app sees my DVR and other two TVs. I went online and attempted to do the MyDVR synchronization and three days later it still said it was synchronizing. When I use the IPhone app or go online and try to change channels on a TV it does not work. When I first tried to manage my DVR with the IPhone app it said my DVR was full, and that I had no recordings scheduled, neither of which was true. In fact, I had five recordings scheduled and the DVR was only 10% full. This morning I went online, and changed the names of my DVR and TVS, then looked at my IPhone app, and it saw the names had been changed. Online, I was able to attempt to schedule three recordings only? But I cannot schedule any further recordings. I looked at my IPhone app, and much to my surprise, it could see those supposedly scheduled recordings. Yet, when I look at my DVR, those supposedly scheduled recordings do NOT show up. At Comcast's direction I have twice deleted the IPhone app and again downloaded it from the Apple store. they have twice sent "signals" to my boxes. None of this had made any difference whatsoever. When I open tickets with Comcast, they swear that the app is supposed to work on my boxes with my current level of software. All Comcast advertising say that it works. Yet I have twice had the same person from Tier 2 support call me and swear that the app absolutely does not work on any Cisco boxes whatsoever, pnly on Motorola boxes. Therefore, I am still completely confused. I have no idea if the app is really supposed to work, or if others actually have it working on the latest Cisco boxes, or whom in Comcast to believe. This is extremely frustrating.

AnyRoom DVR and On-Screen Guide 2.0 on the Cisco RNG 200N works with the DVR Manager app. I have opened a ticket on your account, someone will reach out directly to help resolve. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 46 of 110 (3,983 Views)

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 47 of 110 (3,995 Views)

I am still totally confused about the Xfinity TV IPhone app. I have AnyRoom DVR and Guide 2.0 installed. I have An RMG200N HDDVR and two RNG150N HD satellite boxes installed, all of them Cisco boxes. AnyRoom DVR works fine, and the new guide is a major improvement. The IPhone app sees my DVR and other two TVs. I went online and attempted to do the MyDVR synchronization and three days later it still said it was synchronizing. When I use the IPhone app or go online and try to change channels on a TV it does not work. When I first tried to manage my DVR with the IPhone app it said my DVR was full, and that I had no recordings scheduled, neither of which was true. In fact, I had five recordings scheduled and the DVR was only 10% full. This morning I went online, and changed the names of my DVR and TVS, then looked at my IPhone app, and it saw the names had been changed. Online, I was able to attempt to schedule three recordings only? But I cannot schedule any further recordings. I looked at my IPhone app, and much to my surprise, it could see those supposedly scheduled recordings. Yet, when I look at my DVR, those supposedly scheduled recordings do NOT show up. At Comcast's direction I have twice deleted the IPhone app and again downloaded it from the Apple store. they have twice sent "signals" to my boxes. None of this had made any difference whatsoever. When I open tickets with Comcast, they swear that the app is supposed to work on my boxes with my current level of software. All Comcast advertising say that it works. Yet I have twice had the same person from Tier 2 support call me and swear that the app absolutely does not work on any Cisco boxes whatsoever, pnly on Motorola boxes. Therefore, I am still completely confused. I have no idea if the app is really supposed to work, or if others actually have it working on the latest Cisco boxes, or whom in Comcast to believe. This is extremely frustrating.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 48 of 110 (4,000 Views)

Posted by
Contributor

Message 49 of 110 (4,069 Views)

Our anyroom DVR went off this morning, reset itself, and when it came back on, it was with the old Guide.  Imagine that, a new glitch.

Tomorrow is exchange day and I'm hoping the third DVR will be a charm.

Posted by
Edited on
‎07-24-2012 09:09 PM

Contributor

Message 50 of 110 (4,133 Views)

[ Edited ]
Same software version as I have. I have the 2.0 guide. I don't have any satellite boxes any more.