Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Momentary Black Screen / RNG 200N DVR

Posted by
Regular Contributor
  • On your way! Congrats on Posting 10 topics!

Message 401 of 534 (4,837 Views)

Re: Momentary Black Screen / RNG 200N DVR

The "fix" is reportedly scheduled for mid-year, but I have been hearing about it since last August, when I had a tech at the house.  He said a "fix" was due out in a couple of weeks...then it was for Nov/Dec.  So be patient and enjoy reading all the posts here on the forum.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 402 of 534 (4,848 Views)

Hi - happy to have found this thread. I'm a recent Comcast re-subscriber and recently setup my new RNG 200N's. One through an AVR via HDMI and one direct HDMI to the TV. Both exhibit the OP's issue.

After reading through the entire thread it seems as though Comcast/Cisco have acknowledged the problem (or a somewhat similar variant) and also suggested that a fix is in the works. I'm hopeful that this is the case as these new 200N's seem far superior to my prior 8300's from when I was previously a subscriber.

I'll wait it out a bit for the fix before trying any of the suggested workarounds. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

Just wanted to chime in to add to the user count reporting the problem. 

Posted by
Visitor
  • The Community would like to Welcome you!

Message 403 of 534 (4,890 Views)

I have this same issue with the RNG110 and haven't gotten a reply from anyone yet. The only reply I ever get is "well, we can send a tech out" ... sure send a tech out for $20 and then to tell me it's my signal or receiver. I have the comcast box going through a Denon 1912 to my LG 3D LED TV and it flickers when OnDemand is activated. At first it was all channels until I tricked my harmony remote into thinking it was a pace box, which solved that, and now it's only OnDemand and sometimes a HD channel. I'm really becoming upset with Comcast's service, and even more their customer service. This obviously has something to do with a signal strength issue being emitted out of the box, and being carried through the AVR to the TV.... I pay for comast monthly and just acquired a 3D TV for xmas and can't even use it properly because of the poor service. After I was told I had to change my box also because of the 3D function, it now won't even display OnDemand properly. Comcast needs to address this issue ASAP or they will be having complaints via BBB about this and their poor customer care. Maybe comcast will actually be a good company and somehow contact me to replace my box and address the problem, and maybe, just maybe upgrade me to a DVR and waive a few bills since IAM a TRIPLE PLAY customer. 

I expected better, especially since I have AT&T knocking on my door each week asking to goto u-verse.

I hope to hear from someone ASAP in order for myself to keep this SERVICE.

an incredibly frustrated customer, and computer science graduate.

Frank

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 404 of 534 (4,939 Views)

Tried the adjustment also, still having problems! You would think Comcast would address the issue after all the time and money they spent on my problem and the frustrations they have caused for the past year with no sucess in remedying the problem. Last tech out vaugely refered to the problem, can't believe they are really that oblivious to their problems.

Posted by
Contributor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 405 of 534 (4,957 Views)

It is hard for me to believe that the receiver is the issue.   It is just a passthru.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 406 of 534 (4,962 Views)

After about 4 hrs the tv just flicker again. I notice the issue hasn't occur in my master bedroom where the box goes directly into my LCD TV via HDMI. The one having the problem even with the 1080i fix is connected to my Bose v30 system via HDMI then out to my Samsung. Being a Cisco guy myself configuring their asa firewalls, switches etc, Im shocked this isn't fixed yet.
Posted by
Visitor
Message 407 of 534 (4,966 Views)

I also tried the 1080i adjustment in the past and it worked for a while but the problem then came back. The only thing that Comcast needs to do is to release the firmware update to fix the problem. Whoever is reading this forum should be well educated by now about the cause of this problem and the lack of response by Comcast.

Posted by
Edited on
‎01-17-2012 07:48 PM

Contributor

Message 408 of 534 (4,974 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hopefully ur luck is better than mine.   I made the 1080i adjustment and the problem persisted.   Boy, wouldn't it be great if Comcast could educate us on this problem so we would stop shooting in the dark!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 409 of 534 (4,977 Views)

I just got 2 of the cisco RNG200n boxes and I was like what the heck is this, the black screen of death issue was happening to me as well. I made the change to only 1080i and so far no black screen. Tv has been on for 2 hrs.
Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 410 of 534 (5,060 Views)

I'm back!  And I'm afraid I still have the problem although it seems to be far less frequent.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 411 of 534 (5,066 Views)

Same problems with RNG200N and on the 4th box from Comcast....they are incompetent! Keep sending out tech to always verify good signal...they replaced underground cable, cable in house, etc...going on for over 1 year. changing cables doesn't seem to help. Got $20 credits but wasting endless hours of my time!!!

COMCAST SUCKS .... TIME TO TRY Dish or Direct

Posted by
Visitor
Message 412 of 534 (5,078 Views)

With all of the issues that we have all been experiencing, I was shocked to see that my monthy cable fees were increased 9.6% this month.  Now I get to pay more while still receiving less than adequate service.

The Internet fee went up but I am so happy with that service that I don't mind.  Why can't Comcast provide cable service as well as they provide Internet service? 

Posted by
Edited on
‎01-05-2012 05:36 PM

Visitor

Message 413 of 534 (5,175 Views)

[ Edited ]

dsaul9 wrote:

you can go to the SA8300 - should work ok, won't support 3D

No 3DMan Mad  Well, I guess that beats the black screen of doom.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 414 of 534 (5,212 Views)

you can go to the SA8300 - should work ok, won't support 3D

Posted by
Visitor

Message 415 of 534 (5,215 Views)

Add me to this problem. I've tried forcing 1080i, a new HDMI cable, and components cables with no luck. As of right now, watching tv via the RNG 200N is totally unbearable; black screen glitches happen about every 2-5min. I'm having to watch tv in the rooms that only have the digital converter just to get consistant video. Thats not acceptable given I'm paying for a pricey HD package. I'm wondering exchanging for another box will only provide a temporary fix.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 416 of 534 (5,263 Views)

After reading these posts on a daily basis I was wondering WHY are WE the ones trying to come up with a fix when Comcast is dragging their feet?  There is a problem and they KNOW there is a problem, but yet we keep paying our bill month after montrh...so why should they rush to fix it, spending THEIR money?  We are all so connected to that TV that we accept this situation as a part of having the big screen in our life.  I am guilty too.  We all are hooked.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 417 of 534 (5,268 Views)

I have a Motorola box and am still having this issue a year later, so i don't think its limited to one particular box.  I also have the multi room dvr, and only have the problem on my main box.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 418 of 534 (5,284 Views)

The problem still remains.   After adjiusting RNG200N to 1080i only and adjusting my Samsung TV, the black screen still appears randomly.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 419 of 534 (5,287 Views)

I'm afraid ahauman is out of town till the 4th...I report back then...

Posted by
Visitor
Message 420 of 534 (5,293 Views)

Wondering if  problem is still fixed???  I think he had the Cisco box.

Posted by
Edited on
‎12-30-2011 12:27 PM

Contributor

Message 421 of 534 (5,333 Views)

[ Edited ]

manamok wrote:

Agilis wrote:

I don't know what cable box/DVR or guide version Anon55148 was using but there is no HDMI configuration options. That being said...

Based on his post it appears Anon55148 is in a Motorola market - not a Cisco market - so his Guide software would be a bit different than ours. 

i've had my RNG200N set exclusively on 720P since I got it and still have the blank screen problems.

Ahh that explains it! Thanks! That's a totally different box which means different hardware and different firmware.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 422 of 534 (5,343 Views)

Agilis wrote:

I don't know what cable box/DVR or guide version Anon55148 was using but there is no HDMI configuration options. That being said...

Based on his post it appears Anon55148 is in a Motorola market - not a Cisco market - so his Guide software would be a bit different than ours. 

i've had my RNG200N set exclusively on 720P since I got it and still have the blank screen problems.

Posted by
Edited on
‎12-29-2011 09:35 PM

Contributor

Message 423 of 534 (5,369 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well I just experienced the black screen using the proposed solution and it did not work. I'm going to assume what worked for Anon was the fact the person had an HDMI Options menu available in the guide and was able to turn off the CEC feature.

For those who don't know, CEC, is a feature available to those using HDMI which allows devices to intelligently control other devices connected via HDMI. Different brands have a different name for it, and also have different implementations of the CEC protocol. But in the end, it pretty much does the same thing. Samsung calls their CEC implementation Anynet+ Some of the things CEC can do is to allow your TV to power on a Bluray device when the TV's source is changed to the source for the player.

Now I use HDMI-CEC with my AVR, my TV, PS3, etc. and when browsing for devices, the RNG200N does not show up in the list of devices supporting CEC. IF in fact the RNG200N supports CEC, (the guide version currently in use does not allow it to be configured or its use) then it could very well be the issue. Only CISCO knows for sure.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 424 of 534 (5,374 Views)

I am a little confused.   I went into the HDMI setup for the RGN200N box and initially none of the options were chosen.   I chose the 1080 option and it remained the only option selected when I went back to re-check.  I could only watch the TV for several minutes, but I thought when I went to a non-HD channel, the black screen did appear.   I do need to do more thorough testing.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 425 of 534 (5,376 Views)

I went into the HDTV Setup by powering off the RNG200N and pressing HD Zoom on the remote. I chose Advanced option and selected 1080i and 720P as being the only video formats valid. After doing this, the RNG200N was stuck using 720P. Changing the channels did not help, the RNG200N insisted on the format being 720P.

I then repeated the process, deselected 720P, and left 1080i as being the only format selected. I'm now in the process of testing the second part of Anon55148's suggestion.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 426 of 534 (5,391 Views)

I will give it a try.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 427 of 534 (5,397 Views)

I found and re-read carefully a post by Anon55148 on 11-06-2011 at 12:53 PM and updated on 11-17-2011 at 4:09 PM in this Forum Topic Thread...

-----------------

UPDATE:

Latest tech was a "lead" - he was able to watch the problem occur, took all the usual readings and couldn't figure it out either.  He concluded that I shouldn't be using HDMI - stick to component cables.  He also felt that the pixelation and breakups on component are due to old underground cables in my neighborhood.

Found the solution to the HDMI issue myself. 

There seems to be a bug in Comcast's implementation of the Consumer Electronic Control part of the HDMI protocol.  The CEC is supposed to allow the cable box to communicate with the HDMI device (tv) and read what capabilities the tv can handle.   I went into the cable box HDMI setup menu and changed "Auto Detect" to Disabled - then went into the HDMI Display Capability settings and turned off 480i and 480p, leaving 1080i and 720p on.

Switched back to viewing and watched for 2 hrs without a drop-out.  Went back into the cablebox and turned "Auto Detect" and the 480 res on - lots of dropouts again.   Changed the settings back and problem fixed.   It would seem that the periodic "Auto Detection" is the culprit.

----------------------------

I have not found the "HDMI Setup Menu" or the "Auto Detect" setting Anon55148 references.  However I did find on the HDTV Setup Wizard, after choosing "Advanced", that all HDMI Display Capabilities were checked.  I unchecked all but 1080i and 720p as Anon55148 suggested.  I then pressed the power button on the remote.  I noticed the LED light on the front of the box then read 720p rather than 1080i.  I reentered the HDTV Setup Wizard and choose "A" for "Easy Setup", chose "16:9" and exited.  The LED then read 1080i.  I again went back in to the HDTV Setup Wizard and chose Advanced.  Only 1080i was checked.  I exited.  Still testing this but I have not seen the Momentary Black Screen issue since.  And we had it bad.  All channels HD and non-HD still work fine.

To start the HDTV Setup Menu on a Cisco RNG200N Box power the set top box off then press HD Zoom on the COMCAST Remote.  Or you may have to press Menu, Guide and Info all at the same time.

Posted by
Contributor
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 428 of 534 (5,416 Views)

Re: Cisco black screen

Seems fairly straightforward........... Read the Topic "Momentary Black Screen / RNG 200N DVR".

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 429 of 534 (5,448 Views)

how would the OP know what that even means?

Posted by
Contributor
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 430 of 534 (5,453 Views)

Read topic: "Momentary Black Screen / RNG 200N DVR"

Posted by
Contributor

Message 431 of 534 (5,448 Views)

Whomever checked solved for this problem is dead wrong..... The following is not a solution.

"Correcting the issue requires momentarily changing the channel during a live show or stopping DVR program, exiting the DVR entirely, and then returning to the show a moment later".

Posted by
Visitor

Message 432 of 534 (5,461 Views)

Cisco black screen

Cisco RNG200N just installed.  Frequently, video interrupted by black screen for a second or less. Sound continues.  No pattern, just random.  Suggestions?

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 433 of 534 (5,489 Views)

Comcast has told me that the problem being discussed in this thread is a firmware problem with the Cisco RNG200N.  Cisco is developed a firmware fix for the issue and once Comcast has tested the fix thoroughly it will be released to the boxes.  They expect the testing to be finished in mid-2012.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 434 of 534 (5,501 Views)

I can't say the problem is HDCP related or not - Comcast has maintained it is the software related to GUIDE.  But I can tell you I have a brand new HD/3D  Plasma TV, brand new Yamaha receiver with my RNG200N and definitely have the problem.  It would surprise me to learn that whether the TV is LCD/LED/Plasma makes a difference regarding this issue.  I would be interested to hear what others think.  

Highlighted
Posted by
Visitor
Message 435 of 534 (4,465 Views)

Tech came back out today.  He brought is own LCD TV and we hooked it up.  No issues at all.  That left us with the HDMI cable or the Panosonic Viera Plasma from 2003 we use.  Grabbed another HDMI cable made by Monster and the problem was still there on my TV.  I started researching about the HDMI technology and came across HDCP compliant issues with older TV's.  Looks like this is a digital content protection system to stop piracy.  Trying now to see if my TV is compliant.  Here's a link about HDCP Info on HDCP.

For now we are running a RNG150N with no issues on the older TV and I have the RNG200N in the bedroom going to S-Video with no problems.  I can't pause the main TV, however I can watch recorded shows via the Anyroom service.

Maybe this was just a good reason to treat myself to a new Sharp 60" LCD.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 436 of 534 (4,487 Views)

dsaul9 wrote:

You might want to make sure they have an SA8300 box with them when they come.    That box has few problems - but not sure u can use HDMI cables.

You can use an HDMI cable with the SA8300HD box.  I have one and use the HDMI cable.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 437 of 534 (4,496 Views)

You might want to make sure they have an SA8300 box with them when they come.    That box has few problems - but not sure u can use HDMI cables.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 438 of 534 (4,519 Views)

Just called customer service again.  Unreal how condescending the rep was.  First really bad experience.  Tech scheduled to come out tomorrow as the rep refused to even acknowledge this forum or other users having the same problem.  8.5 hours the other day to get the service running.  Wonder how much more time they will waste tomorrow.  Thinking the 30 day money back guarantee may become an option.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 439 of 534 (4,536 Views)

Keisha,

Same problem with my new service.  Installer was at my home from 10:30am-7pm yesterday.  My RNG200N has a blank screen hiccup about every 5 minutes.  Very difficult to understand why a firmware push is set for mid-2012.  This should be NOW and all new boxes coming from Cisco should be corrected.  I now have spent an hour on the phone with a tech rep with no help and he continues to tell me they know nothing of this problem.

Can you tell me why not all of the boxes are having this issue?  Many people must be happy with the hardware they received.  If they were having this problem there is no way they can ignore it.

Please review this with the highest level you can and post an updated report.  We need a fix now.

I am going to call my sales rep and ask for two HD-DVRs to be installed until this is fixed.  Can anyone on here comment on the quality of the seperate HD-DVRs and which model I should request?

Posted by
Visitor
Message 440 of 534 (4,615 Views)

I have been following this forum for at least one month. I live in South Florida (West Palm Beach). I have the RNG200N box with a Samsung 3d Plasma TV. The black screen issue happens either with HDMI or component cables (it doesn't matter as other have posted here). I appreciate that someone from Comcast is monitoring these forums but honestly the solutions that you are giving not only are wrong but have been tested multiple times by multiple users (including me) with the same results (they don't work). We all know by now that the only solution to this problem is a firmware upgrade which as you are saying won't be deployed until mid 2012 (If high priority meas waiting 6 months I don't even want to know how long would it be for a standard priority problem). That's simple not acceptable. I subscribe to your high definition package and I am paying for a service that I am not getting. I have the box connected to my receiver with a digital audio cable so at least I don't loose audio when the image goes black. I had the SA8300 box before but requested the new RNG200N box because I got a new 3D Plasma TV and I wanted to enjoy 3D programming (For that reason going back to the old box is not an option). I am able to see on demand 3D content but when the black screen interruption occurs the TV momentarily sets back to standard viewing and I have to put it back in 3D mode to continue watching the program. This is very annoying and as others have requested if Comcast does not fix this promptly then we should all get some form of credit on our monthly bills. If this box was not ready for prime time then it should have not been released to the public until all the problems have been resolved. We are acting as beta-testers for Comcast but still we are paying full price for a service that is suboptimal. Don't get me wrong. I am very happy with your other services (internet and phone) but the issue with this box is not acceptable.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 441 of 534 (4,632 Views)

Motorola DCH3416 Exact same issue (momentary black screen on DVR recored playback).

It started about 3-4 months ago.

Praying for Verizion Fios to come to our town.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 442 of 534 (4,643 Views)

ComcastKeisha,

Is there a problem ticket number (or however Comcast refers to previously documented issues) that we as Comcast customers can refer to when speaking to other Comcast representatives about this Momentary Black Screen / Cicso RNG200N problem?

A.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 443 of 534 (4,649 Views)

Please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't this issue start with the update to the new guide this past May (for Naples, FL)?  I know that is when all my NEW problems began.  I reboot my DVR at least once a week, which helps a little with the "blink" of the signal.  When I do call Comcast, they always want to send out a tech.  I keep telling them "it is a known problem" but they don't seem to KNOW it is a known problem.  I don't need a tech and I don't want to swap out the DVR for the 8th time.  When I had a supervisor and a lineman at my house several months ago I was told to wait for the "fix" scheduled for early 2012.  I actually have the RGN 200 DVR because the 200N they brought the last time to swap didn't work.  The "N" doesn't seem to make a difference because the problems are the same.  We have all stuck with (or maybe I should say "are stuck with") Comcast through all these updates and fixes and still the problems are here.  How about a credit ($$) for customer loyalty?

Posted by
Edited on
‎12-17-2011 11:24 PM

Contributor

Message 444 of 534 (4,662 Views)

[ Edited ]

dsaul9 wrote:

First, thanks for your interest.

A couple of points from my view.

1. HDMI is required for 3D and after paying a high price for HDMI quality, I don't think everyone will be happy to go out and buy component cables for a lower quality picture.

Just thought I'd let you know that component is not a lower quality picture than HDMI when it comes to HDTV. It is simply less convenient because you need to connect a separate audio cable. The only thing HDMI can do is 1080P which is not supported by Component or cable/HDTV. Also, HDMI allows different devices to 'network' together so they can power on together, or be controlled by different devices. Another thing is HDMI supports HDCP which Component cannot, which could be a problem if your display device requires HDCP.

Cheers!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 445 of 534 (4,666 Views)

ComcastKeisha wrote:

All,

This issue has been identified and a current fix is being implemented.

Correcting the issue requires momentarily changing the channel during a live show or stopping DVR program, exiting the DVR entirely, and then returning to the show a moment later. There is a firmware fix slated to address this scheduled for mid-2012.

You may switch to component cables or swap to an 8300 HD cable box to avoid this issue altogether.

If this issue has been identified, then why doesn't Comcast know that using Component cables does not fix the issue? The only thing that fixes it is to move to the old and outdated Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. The steps Comcast is listing to correct the issue is absolutely rediculous. There is no correcting the issue, just wait for a few seconds for the signal to resync. Changing the channel, or stopping the DVR is worse than just waiting.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 446 of 534 (4,680 Views)

Thanks again for your reply.

Is there someone we can petition to get the fix earlier than "the next guide release".

It really is a pain and I believe we should get the Rng200n service for free until we get the fix.

signed,

"did Ray Rice score that touchdown? My screen went black."

Posted by
Edited on
‎12-17-2011 03:31 PM

Problem Solver

Message 447 of 534 (4,688 Views)

[ Edited ]

The issue has been identified and is an high priority with Comcast. We are correcting the firmware with our  Cisco boxes and the fix is scheduled to be deployed to customers as a part of the next guide release in mid-2012.  Now that may be subject it change to be earlier but for now it's scheduled for mid-2012.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Posted by
Contributor

Message 448 of 534 (4,692 Views)

First, thanks for your interest.

A couple of points from my view.

1. HDMI is required for 3D and after paying a high price for HDMI quality, I don't think everyone will be happy to go out and buy component cables for a lower quality picture.

2. I am not sure the problem doesn't also exist for component cables.   I haven't proven this, but others on this board seem to validate.

3. When I inquired to "Corporate" Comcast, I was called within 15 minutes by someone who said they were aware of the problem.   They said that a fix was due mid January and not to switch to a 8300 box.

4. Unfortuneately, those people who want the best quality (RNG200n and HDMI) are those impacted by this problem.

Who can we contact to make sure they understand that this problem is unacceptible and should be a high priority to fix?

thx.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 449 of 534 (4,701 Views)

All,

This issue has been identified and a current fix is being implemented.

Correcting the issue requires momentarily changing the channel during a live show or stopping DVR program, exiting the DVR entirely, and then returning to the show a moment later. There is a firmware fix slated to address this scheduled for mid-2012.

You may switch to component cables or swap to an 8300 HD cable box to avoid this issue altogether.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Posted by
Contributor

Message 450 of 534 (4,712 Views)

Re: Momentary Black/White/Snowy Screen / RNG 200N DVR

GCHSR wrote:

If you use the component (RCA) outputs on the RNG 200N you'll get  flashes across your display instead of the black screen when using the HDMI. 

Thanks for that info. So it seems this signal issue is global when it comes to it's core functionality. Originally thought it just affected HDMI and Component, but now it's much wider.  The box for some reason cannot output the signal consistently.

Now, can anyone see if this black out occurs on NON-HD channels?