online now

discussions

Loss of HD channels to Baisc Cable Customers

77 REPLIES
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 1 of 78 (940 Views)

Re: Loss of HD channels to Baisc Cable Customers

If you want to see the HD channels listed in the Limited Basic lineup you are going to need the HD DTA. Unfortunately not everyone can get these yet. I am still waiting for these to become available where I live.

Posted by
Visitor
  • The Community would like to Welcome you!

Message 2 of 78 (962 Views)

I was in the same boat.  I had to put the new box.  They do have HD boxes now...  

I looked closely... HD Channels with Basic Cable are included but HD channel numbers are different.

http://www.comcast.com/Clu/ChannelLineUp?clu=658#

Cheers,

Ashwini

North Suburbs Chicago

Posted by
Visitor
Message 3 of 78 (1,097 Views)

Don't blame you on that. Is SD 720 or 480I? I think comcast pumps a 480i on non HD subscribers. Terrible.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 4 of 78 (1,124 Views)

Hi there,

This is my first post on this community. The reson I am in is that the quality of cable TV is soooo low.

I am only watch SD and they charge more for HD .. its shocking ... 

I'm still under 30 day return money ... I am asking for my money back from comcast .. 

Pathetic !!!

Disappointer Comcast Customer!!!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 5 of 78 (1,573 Views)

The DTA only supports downstream communication, so this box does not allow Comcast to collect any information as to what you are watching.

Posted by
Edited on
‎12-19-2012 01:53 PM

Gold Problem Solver

Message 6 of 78 (2,419 Views)

[ Edited ]

edpeters wrote: ... I beleive that most (if not all) local network staions that broadcast in HD, also broadcast in SD (so their local non HD TV viewers can see their signal)..

Ed, I don't think so. Checking my local stations in Wikipedia, the listed subchannels agree with what I see OTA, and none of them duplicate their HD subchannels on an SD subchannel. There's an SD version on the Comcast coax line, but that's Comcast's doing, not the station's. Are you really seeing this with your local stations?

As to §76.1904, I literally don't know what to make of it. The wording of that rule is something only a lawyer could love.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 7 of 78 (2,441 Views)

Good point, but I checked into my locals and since going all digital, they're broadcast in HD with no corresponding SD channel....that being the case, I still wonder if the Comcast retransmission in SD only is against the regulation 76.1904.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 8 of 78 (2,495 Views)

CrazyTom20 wrote:

Am I reading this correct, even with the DTA, operators cannot change the resolution of the broadcast show, so network TV, that's broadcast in HD, must stay in HD.

From http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2006-title47-vol4/pdf/CFR-2006-title47-vol4-chapI-subchapC.pdf

FCC Regulations, Chapter 47, 

§ 76.1904 Encoding rules for defined business models.
(a) Commercial audiovisual content delivered as unencrypted broadcast television shall not be encoded so as to prevent or limit copying thereof by covered products or, to constrain the resolution of the image when output from a covered product.

I beleive that most (if not all) local network staions that broadcast in HD, also broadcast in SD (so their local non HD TV viewers can see their signal)..

Posted by
Visitor

Message 9 of 78 (2,500 Views)

Am I reading this correct, even with the DTA, operators cannot change the resolution of the broadcast show, so network TV, that's broadcast in HD, must stay in HD.

From http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2006-title47-vol4/pdf/CFR-2006-title47-vol4-chapI-subchapC.pdf

FCC Regulations, Chapter 47, 

§ 76.1904 Encoding rules for defined business models.
(a) Commercial audiovisual content delivered as unencrypted broadcast television shall not be encoded so as to prevent or limit copying thereof by covered products or, to constrain the resolution of the image when output from a covered product.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 10 of 78 (2,770 Views)

I just unplugged our DTA and went staight to the wall and voila!! Beautiful HD clarity!!!! I had to do a channel search via the autoprogramming tool on the tv (took about 20 minutes) and I only have a few channels (all the major networks plus a few local channels) - but these are SOOOOO Much better than the crappy channels we were getting via the DTA.

I pay a TON of money to Comcast at my primary residence (over $250 per month for everything they offer in 4 different rooms). But we also have a vacation home where we just have basic cable. It's in a condo that has a large number of elderly people as well. Many of these folks have very nice TVs, but about 6 weeks ago, comcast came in and told everyone they had to have the DTA box or they "wouldn't have channels anymore" (a lie). Most of these folks do not understand they can just use an antennae or go straight to the wall to get nice pretty pictures on their new HDTVs.

Ugh......

But I am so glad to be able to watch football and basketball and a couple network shows without everyone looking super wide or watching 4:3 screen on a widescreen TV (my only two choices with DTA - oh wait, I could juse the "zoom" function but then no one has the top of their head). Lol......

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 11 of 78 (2,856 Views)

Re: Loss of HD channels to Basic Cable Customers

macaddict1 wrote:

Thanks!

So I called the billing department and they said that if you have an HD box, they charge you the HD Technology fee which obviously is not what the website that you sent me says. Getting escalated to a supervisor which mysteriously "there are none available at this time". So I'll probably be on hold for the rest of the day

Wanted to give everyone an update. After fighting Comcast (calling 4 times) over this HD Technology Fee that I should not be paying (since I only have Limited Basic), I decided to call and cancel my service.

Miraculously, the person doing my cancellation was able to finally remove the HD Technology Fee from my account, refund me all the months that I've been charged for it (since January) and put in my account the $3 rental fee for the HD cable box which is the correct amount.

So at last, I'm getting charged the right amount, it only took 10 months, 4 calls to customer service and 1 call to the cancellation department.

My score on Comcast's customer service? F-

I wish I could get my local channels over the air Smiley Sad

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 12 of 78 (3,469 Views)

720 is considered HD. 480 is considered SD.

An HD box would be needed to get any 720 or 1080 picture outputs.

One link that may help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p

Posted by
Visitor
Message 13 of 78 (3,473 Views)

Can some one please explain the difference between 480 and 720? Is 720 considered SD? I get 480 def coming directly through the comcast standard cable boxes? The picture is ridicoulously poor before we were required to have boxes on each television.

All of these topics are discouraging to the basic cable consumer. COMCAST=CONTROL.

Shame om comcast!! The FCC really needs to revise these regulations. Just call Dish or Direct TV.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 14 of 78 (3,658 Views)

Thanks!

So I called the billing department and they said that if you have an HD box, they charge you the HD Technology fee which obviously is not what the website that you sent me says. Getting escalated to a supervisor which misteriously "there are none available at this time". So I'll probably be on hold for the rest of the day

Posted by
Visitor

Message 15 of 78 (3,661 Views)

They should not charge you with a HD technoly fee or fee for transmitting HD signals. It says so on the comcast webpage: http://www.comcast.com/Clu/ChannelLineUp

Qoute: "HDTV broadcast signals are included with subscription to Limited Basic Service".

If you get anything higher then this limited basic service then you do pay a HD service fee.

Quote: "To receive Expanded Basic, Digital Preferred Tier, Sports Entertainment Package or Premium HDTV signals, a subscription to that service and subscription to HD Technology fee is required."

Call comcast and make sure you don't pay $9.95 too much. Good luck.

Posted by
Edited on
‎06-26-2012 04:07 PM

Regular Visitor
Message 16 of 78 (3,870 Views)

[ Edited ]

--The short story--

I live in North West NJ and I have Limited Basic. They sent me a DTA which made the picture look terrible on my HDTV. I ended up keeping the Limited Basic service but they tagged on a $9.95 "HD Technology Fee" so that I could get my local channels on HD.

--The long story--

First I called the 800 number to ensure that I could get HD channels by just getting an HD box and paying the HD box rental ($3). The person who spoke with me said that this was correct, I could either get the box shipped to me (for a fee) or I could go to my local Comcast office and pick it up. When I first went to pick up the HD box, the person at the Comcast office tried up upsell me to a Digital Started plan for much more money, after insisting that I didn't want to upgrade my plan and that HD would work with the Limited Basic, she let me go home with the HD box.

Just to be sure she didn't upgrade my service, I called the 800 number as soon as I got home, and sure enough, she added the Digital Starter package. I wasn't happy to say the least...

I am also unable to get OTA channels with an antenna so this is my only option. $13 for limited basic + $9.95 for the HD Technology Fee.

:-(

Posted by
Visitor

Message 17 of 78 (3,876 Views)

I'm glad someone understands how the game works. It's corporate greed and monopolization. Which is supposed to be illegal in th U.S. Unfortunately the government is run by corporations who donate to political parties in return for bills and laws getting passed or dismissed that favor said corporations.

That said, I tried setting up a large antenna in my attic but only got one channel, and that was spotty reception too. Not sure if there's too many trees or what. I'm about 45 miles from the transmission stations. Any thoughts?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 18 of 78 (3,892 Views)

OnTheWater wrote: Actually, as of 6/25/2012, a DTA (or whatever the correct term is) box is required for all TVs, including digital, to receive any station via Comcast cable. ...

In what market? Not in mine, where a QAM TV can still receive all of Limited Basic without a box (for the moment).

And where is our government who is supposed to be representing and protecting us on all of this?  Oh yes, they are the ones who mandated this mess in the first place...

The FCC required broadcast stations to switch to digital -- there is no "mandate" for cable systems. Comcast's decision to inflict digital signals and encryption on us was its own.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 19 of 78 (3,888 Views)

Actually, as of 6/25/2012, a DTA (or whatever the correct term is) box is required for all TVs, including digital, to receive any station via Comcast cable.  With their box you will not receive any HD programming - not even local network stations.

So the way comcast has it you: 1. must pay extra monthly fee plus a converter box rental for each tv in your house if you want to view HD content of local network stations 2. the DTA box is old tech from 30 years ago - put your tv on channel 4 in order to receive anything just like vcr's were back in the 80's.  So much for HD displays and digital tuners in your tv sets.  3. you are buying a Digital HD TV with a tuner that you will neve use with comcast - you must use their box (which is a tuner) so you might as well have bought a monitor only, like what you buy for a computer. 

Why are millions of people buying TVs with tuners to only use cable boxes that replace the tuners?  Oh yes, so cable companies can charge for what you could get for free over the air with an antenna. 

The problem is that there are too many people who will just live with it rather than deal with switching to an antenna or some other alternative to cable tv.  We also have the situation now where, when people get their fill of a product/service and switch to some other company's product/service the same number of people switch from that service to the one you just left.  There is no net loss to any of these companies so they have no incentive to change.  Its all just "industry standard" pricing and practices that will not change as long as people only switch back and forth between the same players in the industry.

And where is our government who is supposed to be representing and protecting us on all of this?  Oh yes, they are the ones who mandated this mess in the first place...

Posted by
Visitor

Message 20 of 78 (3,952 Views)

Hi,

Just thought I would provide an update to my particular situation in case it helps.  My issue was resolved by an onsite service technician, who quickly detected that there was an old filter at the outside box, and that was causing an issue with channel availability.   (I won't get into all the hoops I jumped to isolate the issue before that.  Suffice it to say, the onsite technician was very capable and pleasant.)

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 21 of 78 (3,965 Views)

Your only alternative is to put up an antenna, or get a full HD cable box from Comcast with the additional

monthly fee.

HD DTA's are in the lab being tested, there is no date on any deployments as a cheaper way to receive any encrypted HD limited basic channels.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 22 of 78 (3,969 Views)

I also agree with Jagerwolf.  I am now receiving a downgrading product for my money.  As mentioned by Jagerwolf, I am no longer receiving my local channels in HD.  I now am forced to watch every thing in 4:3 aspect ration (which is annoying when I paid for a nice HDTV ... aka 16:9) and I can no longer use my TV's remote control to control what I watch.  I am VERY displeased with what is taking place.  

Why is this change happening and why is it negatively impacting the product I now receive?

Are there any CURRENT alternatives that will give me back (atleast) my local channels in HD?

Is there any way to make the signal I receive work in 16:9 without stretching the picture?  We are now past SDTV guys!

Disappointed Comcast Customer

Posted by
Visitor

Message 23 of 78 (4,203 Views)

Yes, I am with jwolf on this one. I am in the far SW outskirts of the Chicago area. I have two sony TVs with built in QAM tuners. My basic service worked great without a DTA and received HDTV stations straight from the cable. They cut over the system to all digital earlier this month, and sent me DTAs which seriously downgraded the quality of the service. That does not even count the time and aggravation getting them to activate. Now I am getting 1990's analog quality on my 2011 vintage sets. I am packing up the DTAs and cancelling my Comcast service on Monday. I would rather pay nothing for nothing than $60/month for poor quality service.

BTW Nice that their customer service is 24x7 but you have to call 9a-5p M-F to cancel your service.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 24 of 78 (4,481 Views)

mgad

In order to receive all HD channels on your existing HD package you need a full HD cable box from Comcast along with paying for the HD technology fee each month.

DTA's will get you most of the digtal starter channels in SD.

Hooking up any recent clearQAM HDTV might get you your limited basic tier including HD local network TV stations depending on the system.  Some cable systems are encrypting everything including limited basic so nothing will tune in on a TV connected directly to the coax.  There are some systems that you can get clearQAM limited basic, but no gurantee of any of those channels in HD, only SD. 

Each system or market area will be doing things differently, some are encrypting, some dont, some have HD locals, some don't.

Your only guarantee of getting all your channels in HD is with a HD cable box, paying for HD service, and hooking the HD box to your TV with HDMI or component cables.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 25 of 78 (4,487 Views)

You are right. Customer service no help. I'm one of the lucky ones who have a competing cable company in my location. Will not miss all the aggravation Comcast has put me through.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 26 of 78 (4,491 Views)

I have limited basic cable and just purchased a digital tv, but without a QAM tuner. Perhaps I need to exchange it to avoid the necessity of the DTA. I ordered DTAs from xfinity but have not completed the installation process yet. There's small print on the xfinity letter stating that access to HD channels requires an HD set-top box. QAM tuner TVs will continue to receive limited basic channels  (channel ranges were listed) without a digital device.  So, as best I can tell, if I have a QAM tuner TV or DTA device, I will get certain limited basic channels. However, it's looking like I won't get them in HD?  With the new digital tv, the only HD signal that I seem to be receiving is the local PBS station. Local ABC, CBS, NBC are coming in at SD. That was a little disappointing.  Thanks in advance for any further insights.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 27 of 78 (4,561 Views)

There was nothing wrong with crkunselman post.    I am still going to answers his/her post.   There is no way to get around a DTA or it would of been posted on google.   What  I mentioned is not really a way around it.  It is still an inconvenience to record-when recording I can't use that tv.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 28 of 78 (4,666 Views)

I replaced one of my 3 way splitters with a 2 way and that seemed to do the trick..  Thanks guys..

Posted by
Regular Contributor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 29 of 78 (42,618 Views)

I would also say you can probably get a splitter from comcast for free. I would also agree you might as well have the newest rated splitters capable of 1g. But if i was a betting man i would say it is more likely a case of too many splits rather than a 900mhz splitter.

I can't be sure since i am not sure about your actual cable plant but most cable systems are not 900mhz.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 30 of 78 (42,627 Views)

andre,

Two things. The splitter should be replaced with one that will pass at least 1 MGhz. I have gotten them straight from Comcast for no charge in the past. Would be an investment for your internal cable setup to have the latest for any provider you may choose. Your choice.

Also Comcast does sometimes change the frequencies of stations around so people using straight connections from the wall need to rescan for channels every once in a while.

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-06-2012 04:55 PM

Visitor

Message 31 of 78 (42,633 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Andre, when I was talking with the Tech that came out to my home Saturday, he was mentioning that bad splitters and even bad connectors can hinder signal. So yeah, it could be your splitter, or it could be the connectors. If the connectors were self-installed with cheap tools, it might be a problem.

I wouldn't invest too much time/effort into fixing this though. As was mentioned, they're going to be scrambling your signal soon.

If I were you I'd call Uverse and see if they have any special packages to offer to "entice" you to switch from Comcast. You might get a better deal.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 32 of 78 (42,635 Views)

Interesting to know, Grday. I was indeed picking up a couple of HD channels with this antenna, but it wasn't enough channels to warrant keeping it hooked up.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 33 of 78 (42,638 Views)

for now it works, so i will take advantage of it until they do the switch over.    So does anyone know whats causing my problem?  At that time I will move to another provider like ATT UVERSE...

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 34 of 78 (42,647 Views)

S-Man23

Over the Antenna should be able to get HD signals.  (Note even an old tv antenna is cable of getting HD signals.)  The HDTV antenna was just a marketing tool,  plus it gave them an excuse to price it higher.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 35 of 78 (42,650 Views)

I cant post a diagram on this system.   My drawing would look horrible.

Line in--DTA A---------Splitter------------------------------TV 1          

Line in--DTA A---------Splitter---------A&B switchbox---TV 2

Line in--DTA B---------VCR 1---------A&B switchbox----TV 2

Line in--DTA C---------VCR 2---------TV3

DTA=Digital Transport Adapter.

1=Room One

2=Room Two

3=Room Three

I have 3 dta & 3 tvs and 2 vcrs.   I was going to do the above set up but figured out a different way.

Line in--DTA A---------Splitter------------------------------TV 1          

Line in--DTA A---------Splitter----------VCR 1 rf input,  VCR audio/video output-to TV 2 audio/video input.

Line in--DTA B---------VCR 1-----------TV 2

Line in--DTA C---------VCR 2---------TV3

DTA=Digital Transport Adapter.

1=Room One (Bed room)

2=Room Two (TV Room)

3=Room Three (Computer Room)

On this set up.   All I have to do is go to room one, and set in the channel I want to record.   Then go back to room 2 and set the tv on input, turn on the vcr.   Turn the vcr itself to channel 3.  Then set the time to recorded.  Then I hit input or switch the tv back to channel 3 or 4.    When watching it through the input it will be a little dim but the recording comes out fine.   Note if newer tv.  Use the game video & audio input.  The newer video/audio input may not work.      Then I can watch tv in the TV room,  while the VCR is recording off of the Bedroom dta.   Yes,  I know I could put the vcr in the bed room.  We like to watch are tapes in the tv room.   Plus there is no room for the vcr in the bed room.   

The problem is you have to manually change the dta, to recorded another program on a different station.   That kind of hard to do when you are asleep or gone.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 36 of 78 (42,659 Views)

I tried that. Bought this antenna from Amazon. It was like $42 at the time. Hooked it up and only a few channels worked. But the channels that did work looked gorgeous. I miss having HD Smiley Sad

The transmitter towers are like 30-40 miles away from me, plus I have some trees around me. It's a good thing I don't watch TV hardly at all.

I wish the FCC would not have de-regulated this mess.

Posted by
Regular Contributor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 37 of 78 (42,665 Views)

Could always use an OTA antenna for the OTA HDs and just use the DTA for the standard def channels...

Posted by
Visitor

Message 38 of 78 (42,668 Views)

Bruce and Andre -

This doesn't solve the problem that the DTAs are causing.  Comcast is planning to encrypt the signals so even running straight into the TV or switch box will not allow you to get the HD channels that you once got for free (without the DTA boxes).  Comcast owns us... there's nothing you can do.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 39 of 78 (42,697 Views)

So here is my dilema..

I'm wondering if I have too many splitters or if its because one of my splitters is only rated to 900MHz...

I have the cable feed going straight into my TV so I can watch the HD channels, 5.1,7.1, etc..   sometimes I loose some of the HD digital signals like 7.1 will work, but 5.1 will not.  So yesterday I moved the tv so  the line was shorter and there was one less spltter in the line.  all of the HD signals worked great..   So what could be causing that?   Bad signal strength or the splitters or both?  

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 40 of 78 (42,703 Views)

grday wrote: ... I am able to record one program & watch a different programs at the same time. ... 

Interesting. Could you describe how to do this? Maybe post a diagram?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 41 of 78 (42,706 Views)

thekid1959

There is a way around the vcr issue.    It is a pain but it works.   I use 3 dta (Since I am allowed that many without any extra fees).    I thought I was going to have to use a a/b switch box but I set it up differently.    There are a couple problems with that but I am able to record one program & watch a different programs at the same time.    It did take some time to figure it out.   My writing maybe horrible but I am excellent on configuration.   

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 42 of 78 (42,723 Views)

.....I call this TRIPE......No one on Basic cable. Can afford to: upgrade Tv. from analog to digital, vcrs, dvd/dvr, I will be forced to make some budgetary  downsizing...cable, internet, phone, NONTHING?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 43 of 78 (42,790 Views)

Thank you for this post.  It cleared up several of my questions.  After I hooked up 3 DTAs in my house I noticed that I no longer received several of the local HD channels (5-1, 29-1).  I called the customer service rep who said it was a signal problem and spent 15 minutes trying various fixes.  With no results, she transfered me to a "technician" who said that I had to upgrade to receive the HD channels.  When I complained that I had received them "just fine" before connecting the DTAs and demanded to know why their "upgraded" service now left me with no HD -and- a substantially poorer quality picture, he responded: "We're very sorry that you are disappointed by the new service."  That was the extent of it.    Comcast, shame on you.  I had bought a new TV with a crisp clear picture which (because of the DTA) looks about as clear as my 20 year old TV.  I'm so angry I can't see straight!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 44 of 78 (42,807 Views)

Just as an update, had a tech come out today and he said there was no trap on the line, so he tested some signals and figured he'd better run a new line from the street to the house.

Weird thing is, he ran it on the ground and put in an order for a contractor to come bury it later this week.

The good news is we have good signal on our DTA boxes and have Television again. Albeit sans HD :/

Thanks for your help here.

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-01-2012 01:13 PM

Visitor

Message 45 of 78 (43,034 Views)

[ Edited ]

Awesome. That's what I needed to hear. Yes, we're on limited basic. But we've always run it straight from the wall to the TV and used to get local HD channels.

I remember when they came and put a filter on the line outside at the street. Long ago we used to get a few stray channels in HD like ESPN and such. I'll give them a call. However, I already know how it's going to go down. They're going to tell me to hook up the DTAs, then when they don't work to wait 30-45 minutes and give them a call back. They always give me the same run around.

Also, do you know of any direct lines to get to a CSA instead of having to spend 10 minutes going through the touch-tone recorded messages?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 46 of 78 (43,060 Views)

S-MAN23

I assume you are on limited service.

You need to call them and tell them to remove the limited basic filter or trap from the pole.   So, you can activate your dtas.   If that doesn't work,  you will have to switch to antenna if you are close to Houston.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 47 of 78 (43,074 Views)

I'm in Houston, 77066 area, basic subscriber, and just lost signal last night as well. Tune to channel 2 and it say's "All comcast subscribers must use a DTA box..." or something to that effect.

I had been getting all local channels in SD and HD straight out of the wall into the TV with no problem for a long time until last summer. Then they cut all the digital and HD channels and just allowed SD channels. They sent us some DTA boxes but they didn't even work. The screen constantly says "your service has been inturrupted. It should be restored shortly..." but it never does. Even after trying to activate the DTA several times.

Spoke with a CSR the other night while trying to activate the boxes and told her the above. She said "There's no way you could get HD straight out of the wall." I laughed.

I hope they do something to fix this quick. It's irritating having to take half a day to deal with this with no results.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 48 of 78 (43,092 Views)

Its not a cable, its the box, I can fix it in 5 mineuts by REMOVING comcast's DTA... ...  put the DTA on....  crappy signal.. take the DTA off.... fine signal...  tried 3 differet DTA's on 2 different TV's by 2 different manfacuters ..  sorry its Comcast.   And I'm not the only one on these message boards who have experience this with the comcast supplied DTAs.

Also .. as an aside, last night all local HD channels went off air for 2 min, when they came back ABC, CBS, NBC, WB ect (all the local HD channels) were replaced with PBS is HD... I rescanned twice, and the local stations are gone..   apparently encrypted.

Tell me THAT wasnt' on purpous...

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 49 of 78 (43,103 Views)

grday wrote..That not necessarily Comcast as I found out.   First make sure you have new type of coax.   If using a splitter make sure it goes up to 1000 mhz  (950 mhz  may work in some areas).    Sometimes you get what is called a 4 box screen (Bar at the side &  at the top & at the bottom) .  That is the station or the station's network not Comcast.   I confirmed this with the PBS station.  They gave me a technical reason why it was doing that.  They said last fall they are going to work on this but haven't yet.

And my PBS station's broadcast engineer said they only send out the coding for start of program, end of program, and aspect ratio. I have seen programs start out on PBS and a few broadcast channels that start out full screen and then switch over to the "windowbox" picture (black bars on all 4 sides). Sometimes they go back to normal. I can watch a repeat of that same show on the same channel later in the day or that week and no windowbox picture. Sometimes I can switch channels and the picture goes back to the original aspect. From what I have read this apparently happens when a SD signal is sent coded for a 16:9 ratio and somehow gets read as a 16:9 ratio, then 4:3 ratio, then again as a 16:9 ratio ( I will need to double check this to make sure I have this correct)

It could be the broadcast station or it could be the AGC on Comcast's system or a combination of both. My local phone company was trying to sell me on their video service. During their demostration at their office I noticed the same picture. I asked them about that. The lady said that was not right and they needed to adjust settings on their equipment.

And I see what jagerwolf said about not being able to see the whole screen on tvs that don't have boxes. Can even see a difference on the SD box when it looks like they are putting the HD feed on the SD channel also. I have to agree that the signal seems to need to go through a HD box so that the box settings for native aspect ratio can be used. Or if there is a way for them to send the SD signal to SD channels and HD to HD channels then it might be getting messed up.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 50 of 78 (43,110 Views)

Jagerwolf

When I then plug in teh DTA provided by comcast, Signal quality goes to down, aspect ratio goes to down, can't see the whole screen. Its not my TV it happens to all three TV's in the house. Its the DTA's provided by comcast.

=====================================

That not necessarily Comcast as I found out.   First make sure you have new type of coax.   If using a splitter make sure it goes up to 1000 mhz  (950 mhz  may work in some areas).    Sometimes you get what is called a 4 box screen (Bar at the side &  at the top & at the bottom) .  That is the station or the station's network not Comcast.   I confirmed this with the PBS station.  They gave me a technical reason why it was doing that.  They said last fall they are going to work on this but haven't yet.