It does seem related to the full digital channel list. In my zip, 94549, if I choose the basic channel set all is ok, if I choose what I really have- full digital, still fails. The big question is why do we have to do this diagnosis- 2 minutes of testing on whatever Comcast did would have found this proble. I agree that this is obviously not life and death, but it's a customer service disgrace, and is going to cost Comcast in word of mouth, not to mention some public hearings on rate requests.
Still dead in the Midwest - 46143. Strange thing here is that we've had 1000+ for a couple of months I think and I haven't had any problems until now. I'm guessing we won't see this fixed until Monday when the regular software developers are in. At least I hope they fix it by Monday. I've gotten used using the app instead of my remote and who among us hasn't remotely changed the channel to irritate their teen?
I just got 2 new iPads the tv app works fine on one of them and crashes on the other at the lineup screen. Tried reinstalling, resetting the iPad software. Nothing seems to help. I thought one of the iPads may be bad till I saw the posts on this site .
I've got both iPad 1 and 2. Same behavior on both. I've also completed a total rebuild on the iPad 2 fo an unrelated issue so I can't imagine having a cleaner system to run on. Most importantly it runs with non-1000+ channel guides. Only the app developers know what's going on, but I haven't seen any posts on the apple support sites about network handling for the iOS.
Yes this a pain, but I'm hoping I can give Comcast the benefit of the doubt. These forums are a rich source of info for developers and hopefully we'll see an update soon. Realistically I'll only hold my breath for so long.
Update. On the second iPad I tried something I found on the iTunes app feedback for xfinity tv. We reloaded the app and used a different zip. 98008. The app came up fine and with the app running we went into settings, changed the zip back to ours and it now it works great. Very strange
The key sems to be the type of channel lineup - in my zip, 94549, the basic lineup (cable card) works fine, but the digital lineup fails. Once set, the crash is so quick that you can't change back without remove/reinstall. Clearly Comcast changed something in how the digital channel lineup is delivered that's crashing the app. Again, 3 minutes of testing the new method, whatever it is, would have found this. Comcast is perilously close to a Dilbert quote "Once I realized I hate our customers, everything became easy"
2. completely power down the device. Just going into sleep mode wasn't
3. Power back up and reinstall the app. You'll have to sign back in and set the app up again.
It worked on my iPad.
It's annoying to have to set up the favorites but the fix does work.
I would imagine the fact that it is working now is coincidental to their technique. I didn't do any powering down, but eventually when I reinstalled the app for the nth time they had fixed whatever the problem was, probably a function of my channel lineup's relation to the app. It's working for some, but not for others.
Just for grins, I've got a support chat session going on this - it's obvious that the rank and file support folks have no information. I also used Comcasts "mail Rick" page to email this issue to Rick Gennaro, VP customer support - let's see if something happens.
Oh, and yet another remove/reboot/reload failed. It works when I use the standard channel lineup for 94549, but not for the digital, which is, of course, what I have.
Fwiw, I pointed the support person on ,y chat session to this thread and s/he said they would "escalate". Also, android version is working, although it's portrait only, doesn't recognize when I move the phone to landscape.
Mine is up and running, sort of. (iPad1 98077). The app no longer crashes, but when I get to Play Now it says "No Wi-Fi Connection" which is stupid since I clearly have a wifi connection in order to even get anything to show in the app. Hope they get all the weirdness sorted out soon.
I sent an email to customer service too and received a quick reply. I don't know what they did, but 46143 is working now and with channels over 1000. I know everyone on this thread was getting tired, but I will offer a thanks to Comcast for addressing this. I think if this happens again the best thing they could do would be to have a rep post that they're aware and working on it.