New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

xFi Pods Fast Connection Throughout?!?!

ANSWERED
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

xFi Pods Fast Connection Throughout?!?!

I’ve purchased 6 xFi Pods and the setup was fast and seemless. Through the xFi app it says that they are all connected to my network. My question is, am I suppose receive the sm3 speeds throughout the house using the Pods as if you are close to the WiFi router/modem? Speedtest says I have around 240mbps down and 12 up when close to the router/modem. Are the Pods suppose to expand these same speeds throughout the entire house? Even at the furthest point? I believe at the furthest point I was getting 100mbps down. I’m asking this question because it seems that I am not getting these speeds throughout the house. Is the coverage that much better from before I had them? I guess I was under the impression that the highest speeds would be channeled throughout the house with this mesh system. If anyone can help give me some feedback on your experience and possibly help with some of my questions I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much! 

Accepted Solution

Re: xFi Pods Fast Connection Throughout?!?!

I’ve got the normal Plume Pods rather than the Comcast version but AFAIK, they are architecturally the same product. I’ve never done better than about 120Mbps when the pods are using wireless backhaul (the inter-pod connection). When I use wired backhaul, speeds jump to 240-325Mpbs. That’s measured using iperf3.

Wireless performance is effected by a huge number of factors so every situation is unique and almost impossibly complex to analyze without specialized expertise and knowledge. To a large extent, customers and the Comcast techs are largely just stumbling around in the dark trying to guess at the best placements for the pods and if the results observed are “as expected” or show a problem. I know that when I did my initial configuration, I ended up sending a layout for my house to Plume tech support and they worked with me to fine tune the pod placements based on the strength of the intro-pod connections. I have no idea if a Comcast customer to tech can get access to the same kind of support.

The “rules of thumb” I’ve developed over the past 9 months of using Plume are:

1. Whenever possible, use wired rather than wireless backhaul with Gigabit Ethernet, MoCA 2.0 or better, or Ethernet-over-Powerline (latest gen only) connrctions. That dramatically decreases complexity and increases performance.

2. Place the pods in the rooms where you most heavily use WiFi. Ideally, you want a near line of sight connection between the client and the pod.

3. Try to have no more than 2 walls and 40’ between two pods that are using wireless backhaul. As soon as the backhaul has to switch to 2.4, performance is compromised. RF obstructions (think rebar in concrete walls, HVAC ducts and equipment, larger mirrors) are big issues.

4. Don’t obsess about benchmarked performance. The reality is that a 80-100Mps stable, low-latency connection for all your wireless clients is plenty of performance for almost all devices all the time.

View answer in context
New Poster

Having the same issue here.  And the speed is sporatic.  Sometimes I am down to under 10mbps in places I had 60 or 70 mbps before.

I am not satisfied with them.   And the tech service from Xfinity is AWEFUL about the pods.  The reps all say to have 2 networks (5 and 2ghz), but anyone that has set these up knows that is not what the app wants you to do.

I am frustated and taking it out on the board today!!  I have been dealing with this since the end of December.  Numerous (15 to 20) call, open tickets, 2 tech vists, new gateway, and still no answers.   Having to reset the gateway 4 to 5 times a week is unaccepatable.....

Service Expert

wrote:

Having the same issue here.  And the speed is sporatic.  Sometimes I am down to under 10mbps in places I had 60 or 70 mbps before.

I am not satisfied with them.   And the tech service from Xfinity is AWEFUL about the pods.  The reps all say to have 2 networks (5 and 2ghz), but anyone that has set these up knows that is not what the app wants you to do.

I am frustated and taking it out on the board today!!  I have been dealing with this since the end of December.  Numerous (15 to 20) call, open tickets, 2 tech vists, new gateway, and still no answers.   Having to reset the gateway 4 to 5 times a week is unaccepatable.....

I don't have the pods but I do have the Orbi mesh devices; they also show low download speeds on speedtest.net when I am in certain areas of my residence.  My feeling is that it is normal for my network.  If I am sitting next to my Orbi router it shows a download speed that matches my speed tier.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

PearlJam, thanks for posting and great question. The xFi Pods speeds apply just as WiFi speed applies when you aren't connected directly to your modem: You will see faster speeds when connected directly to your modem via ethernet cable. All other WiFi connections via WiFi or router (in this case, the pods) will see varying speeds. For your speed tier, you will have speeds up to a certain mbps when connected directly and otherwise.

WiFi Signal degradation is influenced by many factors including signal interference (walls, microwaves, etc), distance from the modem itself, and device capabilities. 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert

@Antndeb wrote:

I just checked speedtest.net again; 299 down sitting next to the Orbi that is ethernet-connected to my XB3.  That is with my iPhone7 which is obviously wifi to the Orbi.  

My home has always had terrible wifi and I've tried many different configurations; I even ran an ethernet connection all the way from one end of my home to the other trying to get a better connection; I bought a Nighthawk at the end and still couldn't get a decent wifi connection.

If I lived in the market where the xFi pods were available. I would buy a six-pack and plug them into every room and hope that fixed the issue.

But my experience with Orbi is telling me that even with a mesh network, there are dead spots that can't get a decent wifi connection.

I have four adult children that visit often and they bring their wifi devices and say they can't get a decent connection.

And it is very difficult to use my Chromecast Ultra.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I’ve got the normal Plume Pods rather than the Comcast version but AFAIK, they are architecturally the same product. I’ve never done better than about 120Mbps when the pods are using wireless backhaul (the inter-pod connection). When I use wired backhaul, speeds jump to 240-325Mpbs. That’s measured using iperf3.

Wireless performance is effected by a huge number of factors so every situation is unique and almost impossibly complex to analyze without specialized expertise and knowledge. To a large extent, customers and the Comcast techs are largely just stumbling around in the dark trying to guess at the best placements for the pods and if the results observed are “as expected” or show a problem. I know that when I did my initial configuration, I ended up sending a layout for my house to Plume tech support and they worked with me to fine tune the pod placements based on the strength of the intro-pod connections. I have no idea if a Comcast customer to tech can get access to the same kind of support.

The “rules of thumb” I’ve developed over the past 9 months of using Plume are:

1. Whenever possible, use wired rather than wireless backhaul with Gigabit Ethernet, MoCA 2.0 or better, or Ethernet-over-Powerline (latest gen only) connrctions. That dramatically decreases complexity and increases performance.

2. Place the pods in the rooms where you most heavily use WiFi. Ideally, you want a near line of sight connection between the client and the pod.

3. Try to have no more than 2 walls and 40’ between two pods that are using wireless backhaul. As soon as the backhaul has to switch to 2.4, performance is compromised. RF obstructions (think rebar in concrete walls, HVAC ducts and equipment, larger mirrors) are big issues.

4. Don’t obsess about benchmarked performance. The reality is that a 80-100Mps stable, low-latency connection for all your wireless clients is plenty of performance for almost all devices all the time.

Frequent Visitor

Forgot one other tip. If you are experimenting with different placements using wireless backhaul, you have to wait for the great optimizer in the sky to run before testing it. You have to wait 24 hours to be sure it ran. I don’t know a way to tell when it last run and the only way I know to force it is by contacting Plume support (don’t know if it’s an option if you are running the Comcast versions).

Also, testing any of the mesh systems is a giant PITA as it’s impossible to force the client to use a particular band and access point for a connection. Maybe it’s possible with a few specific devices but I don’t know any way to do it with a macOS/iOS device. Just set it up with a best guess and don’t mess with it unless you encounter a problem with performance being a noticeable problem in some part of the house. Unless you want to become a WiFi engineer in your spare time...

New Poster

Are the xFi pods capable of being configured for wired ethernet backhail, and, if so, what are the required steps.
Service Expert

Googled.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-pods-faqs

"Note: Be sure to plug your Pods into active electrical outlets. Do not connect your Pods directly to your xFi Gateway using the Ethernet port on the bottom of the Pod. The Pods connect wirelessly to the xFi Gateway. You will not be able to activate your Pods if one is connected directly to the Gateway."

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I have the PODS, and will be installing them soon around a nasty multilevel staggeredlevel house.

I also have the NetGear WiFi Analytics [Android] app installed on a smartphone with both 2 and 5 capability, and the app can be set to choose either, both, or a specific channel.

When initially trying placement, would I want to place the first Pod where the signal on both bands is quite high, then start moving outward/upward from there in "baby steps" to places close to that first one and where the signal is currently a bit weak?   

Roughly how long after initial install should we wait before attempting to tune coverage? 

After any intial placement adjusts, how long should we wait to check strength again before making further adjustments? 

24 hours, or does the mesh adjust itself in a shorter time?

Thanks.  

Tags (1)
Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation