New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

xFI, Roku Express & Tech Support

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 1 of 3

Just wanted to add this experience to the forum in case anyone else runs into this problem. We received a letter about xFI about this being added to our service. We do not have Xfinitiy XI, so I didn't pay much attention. It stated that changes were being made as of July 31st that would clear block settings. We've never blocked any devices, so, again, I did not think that this applied. On July 31st, our Roku Express stopped being able to communicate with the Arris TG1682G modem. After several days of power cycling both the modem and the Roku, and checking various settings on both, we checked the trouble shooting logs on the Arris. The logs showed that the firewall and the parental controls were blocking the Roku connection. There were multiple attemps to connect recorded in the logs. The logs also showed a port being added for the Roku, and immediately deleted, over and over and over.  Technical support was contacted. They not only could not solve the problem, they did not want to even check the logs that reflected what was going on, and acted like they did not know what I was talking about. At one point, I was told that Comcast has no responsibility for connecting every device you have in your home, and to contact Roku about the problem. After talking to three people, it was clear that it was a waste of time to contact technical support. 

Last evening, I looked at the logs again, and found that the problem seemed to be in parental controls. This is where xFi comes in. (BTW, I was told to access this on my TV, but cannot, as we do not have X1 service). I followed the link to the new xFi controls on the web, and everything looked as it should, nothing was blocked. I gave the Roku a "device" name, and checked it over again. All seemed fine, but it still could not connect. I started looking at the individual choices you are given to control devices, and found the answer in bedtime. Now, there was no moon icon showing that this device was in bedtime, yet, when I clicked on bedtime, a message came up saying that I could not set any time because I had previously set blocks of time control this device. I had not, and, with xFI being brand new, had never seen this before. I canceled out of there, and went back in, and now it would allow a bedtime to be set. Of course, I did not set one.

I plugged in the Roku Express again, and everything was immediately working. When I checked the logs in the modem, it showed a port being associated with the Roku, and NOT being deleted.

Very disappointed that Tech Support could not resolve this problem. It was a simple fix, but I could not convince them to check the troubleshooting logs to find the cause of the problem. If you don't look at the logs, how can you even begin to solve the problem??? Customers should not be treated like they know absolutely nothing about their own networks. I won't ever be calling them again.

2 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 3

Hi @XFINTVONLY. You're right. We apologize you were not provided a solution immediately. Thank's for bringing this to our attention. I am glad you were able to find a resolution, apologetically on your own. 

If you need anything further, please let me know and I'll be happy to help. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 3 of 3

Hi ComcastJoeTru,

Thanks for your response. I have to say, though, that speaking with Tech Support is an exercise in total frustration. It would help if they were trained to actually LISTEN to what people are saying, and, again, not treat the customer like they don't know anything about their own network. The responses I got were beyond ridiculous. All three people I spoke to assumed that we have X1 service, which we do not. Even though we've had the Roku connected for almost 10 months, all three thought we were just trying to set it up and didn't know how to do it. None would even consider the fact that something on the Comcast end had changed to block it. The third person I spoke with, who I was told was a supervisor, stated that it was not possible to block something with the firewall. As I stated to him, and I will say it again here, I do not work for technical support, you do. These are things that you should know and understand, yet you do not.

I appreciate the apology, but will never contact Tech Support again. No customer should have to waste the amount of time on the phone that I did for a problem on the Comcast side of the system, then spend more time to fix the problem on their own.