New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 5

need to know if i t cost to get a gateway device to use xfinity xfi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted by
New Poster
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 2 of 5
Solution

yes and no.  comcast doesn't allow customer bring-your-own cable modem for Xfi yet.  So if you are renting a gateway for $10/mo, they will let you upgrade to an Xfi supported gateway at no cost.

But if you like to use your own cable modem, they don't support this.  Even if you buy a modem model that is supported by comcast, they need their Xfi firmware on it.  

4 REPLIES
Posted by
New Poster
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 2 of 5
Solution

yes and no.  comcast doesn't allow customer bring-your-own cable modem for Xfi yet.  So if you are renting a gateway for $10/mo, they will let you upgrade to an Xfi supported gateway at no cost.

But if you like to use your own cable modem, they don't support this.  Even if you buy a modem model that is supported by comcast, they need their Xfi firmware on it.  

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 3 of 5

Hello @tansley72. What kraussowitz has stated is true. If you already rent our Wireless Gateway, and you would like to upgrade to an XFi compatible modem, we can upgrade you at no additional cost. I can assist you with the upgrade if you are interested. Send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account if this what you would like. 

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
New Poster

Message 4 of 5

Hello @ComcastJoeTru, when I was upgrading my internet speed I asked the employee at the Comcast store if I needed to utilize Comcast's gateway or if I could bring my own. I was told I could bring my own device for xFi. The system keeps telling me I need to upgrade so I called for technical support. Technical support advised me I could use my device and that they were having system issues with xFi and they would text me when it was up and running. NEVER received a text message. I've been told multiple times by Comcast employees that I can access xFi with my personal device but from reading these comments and the xFi overview site that appears not to be the case. Can you please confirm whether or not you can use your own device for xFi. This has been a very frustrating experience.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 5 of 5

tansley72, it will not cost anything to update your current gateway for one that is compatible with XFi services.

JTP69, you can bring your own modem over to Comcast to work with your internet. However not all modems are compatible with XFi services. For more information on our XFi app and compatible equipment please click on this link

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon