Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

data usage

Contributor

data usage

I need help understanding where the data is being used.  I have installed the xFi app and upgraded modem, usage still looks like an amount I could not possibly be using.  I need help tracking data usage per specific device and by application or software that is using the data.

Thanks

Mike

Expert

Re: data usage

Contributor

yes, I read that and am trying to absorb it.  It looks like the big users of data would be any devices in the home that stream 4K video.  What I am seeing in usage patterns on devices assigned to family members is that one computer that is connected by ethernet and used for gaming does not appear to gobble up the data and two game consoles that are also used for gaming are showing up as connected by wifi and they are gobbling up the data.  So:

does it matter if the connection is wifi or ethernet? 

Should/can I change the settings on the game consoles to have them stream HD or some setting other than 4K video?

I think I saw a screen in xFi that showed me what application was using the data at one time, but I can't find that screen now.  The strange thing about that was that a simple backup program (syncback) was identified as the biggest user of data, but that program should not be pulling any data across the cable or the modem, it's just backs up within the home network from individual computers to an external 5 TB drive that I have attached to my computer.

??

Contributor

data usage still looking very high and I can't figure out how the household could be using this much data.  I need to find the screen that shows which specific program is using the data.  Can a comcast employee answer the question please?

Expert

@maryleacoday wrote:

data usage still looking very high and I can't figure out how the household could be using this much data.  I need to find the screen that shows which specific program is using the data.  Can a comcast employee answer the question please?

There is no screen for that; just the xFi's screen for each User.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-app

Contributor

I found the application data usage screen in Windows 10.  You go to Start, Network and Internet, then the Data Usage link on left side, then View usage per app.

One of my windows 10 computers shows 199 gb of data usage by ethernet for the  SyncBack program that simply backs up an internal hard drive on one computer to an external hard drive on this computer.  It appears to me that this household backup usage across the ethernet cable is being counted as data usage being pulled through the cable modem.  How do we get an adjustment to reduce my reported usage by the 199 gb?

Contributor

I checked several of the household computers and most of them are using data in the range of 30 gb per computer over the past thirty days.  This is what I would expect to see given the internet usage.  Two computers show much large usage.  One is showing the 199 gb backup reporting error. 

The other is showing 487 gb of usage by an app identified as SMB.   I think SMB is an internal windows file sharing function that allows the computers in the household to share files that are stored on the household computers.  This usage should not be counted toward the data usage cap because it is not data being drawn from comcast through the modem, it is just data being shared within the household computer network.  How do I get an adjustment for this data usage reporting error? 

Expert

@maryleacoday wrote:

I found the application data usage screen in Windows 10.  You go to Start, Network and Internet, then the Data Usage link on left side, then View usage per app.

One of my windows 10 computers shows 199 gb of data usage by ethernet for the  SyncBack program that simply backs up an internal hard drive on one computer to an external hard drive on this computer.  It appears to me that this household backup usage across the ethernet cable is being counted as data usage being pulled through the cable modem.  How do we get an adjustment to reduce my reported usage by the 199 gb?

Comcast won't give you an adjustment.  It should not me counted because it is not being sent to an Intenet address.

And I could not find the place you describe on my Win10 computer.  Could you include a screen shot of what you see?

Contributor
Contributor

screen shot attached

mikez400.jpg
Expert

That only applies to the Win 10 PC.  It doesn't show what data is being used by wifi devices and the X1 system if you have it, among other things.

Contributor

Well, of course, it only applies to the single computer, but the number itself is ridiculous.  Look at the other screenshot that I sent that shows the other computer using 487 GB of data through SMB.  Again, like the 199 GB of data usage by the first computer, I think this is all internal network data moving through the ethernet and being incorrectly counted as data pulled from Comcast. 

Please kick this question up to someone who has the knowledge to address the problems.  Your skills are insufficient with Windows 10 to find the screen in question without my help and now your response shows you don't understand my fundamental question about these data usage stats from the 2 windows computers.

Some one else now, please.

Highlighted
Official Employee

I can assist you. Please send me a private message with your full name and account number by clicking on my name and then "private message me" and we can get started. 

Tags (1)
Contributor

here is a printscreen from a third windows 10 computer on the network.  This is the computer that streams the most video content and yet it shows only 30 GB of data usage.  This is the amount that I expect each connected device to use.  No single device should be consuming 487 GB plus in 30 days. 

hometv.jpg
Expert

Contributor

yes, I have read the article and I have a range of devices that pull data from the internet.  All of them combined should not use 1 TB of data.  I believe Comcast Daniella is now reviewing the usage questions regarding the two windows ten computers that show data usage of 487 and 199 GB of usage in the past 30 days. 

Do you know a way to list each one of devices in use with its part of the data usage from the current monthly data total?  It would be helpful to be able to get an itemized list of each device that is in use (by mac address or other identifier) and it's total usage in the current total. 

Expert

At this time I know of no way to do that.

Contributor

If there is no way of actually accounting for the data usage of each device, then the whole idea of the data usage charges are based on insufficient evidence of real usage.  Especially in this instance where one of my windows 10 computers reports data usage of 199GB for the internet network backup program Syncback and another windows 10 computer reports data usage of 487 GB of data for the internal network SMB windows process, right?

Contributor

This article talks about a program/app called Tomato that can be added somehow to allow for a doublecheck on the data usage questions.  It appears from the article that there are other folks who are also raising questions about the comcast usage reports.  I don't mind paying for things I use, but in this case, I can't get any reasonable accounting for the data that comcast says I am using.  Can I get more help with establishing a better data management setup on my cable modem please?  Can I install Tomato or a similar program that will help me sort out what my true data usage is and which device is pulling the data? 

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/09/tales-from-comcasts-data-cap-nation-can-the-m...

Contributor

When I look at a single device and see something like the screenshot attached, what does the term Very High translate into in terms of GB per hour.  Zero is clear, Very High is not clear.  If I have to monitor each device to know how many GB are being used, I have to have a means to monitor actual usage.  A term like Very High is not sufficiently useful.

Screenshot-2018-6-30 Profile - Xfinity xFi.png
Contributor

Glasswire is indicating data usage of 6.3 GB since 9 am, 6.1 GB of that is local data transfer and should not be counted as it does not come from the internet or comcast.  I am wondering if the most recent windows 10 update that removed the home group is responsible for the rather sudden jump in my reported data usage.  My network has been a mess since home group was removed. 

Here is a glass wire print screen.

Tags (0)

glasswire 7 2.jpg
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity is the biggest con on the planet.

I have two devices in my home that have been disconnected from my network for two weeks, they have no power cables running to them and no ethernet cables plugged into them, one of them does not have wifi capability at all.   They physically have no way of connecting to the internet and have been in that state for 2 weeks.

The Xfinity app still says they are using data every single day.   Last Saturday my entire family was 60 miles away on a boat in the middle of a river and it still said they were using data despite being unplugged from both the network and the power supply with the power cables not even in the same room. 

All I get when I talk to support is basic stuff about changing my wifi password which has nothing to do with my issue.  Complained to Corporate, called me back, hung up on me and have not called back yet.  

I will be switching to ATT Fiber as soon as it is available in my area 

Expert

@davva360 wrote:

Xfinity is the biggest con on the planet.

I have two devices in my home that have been disconnected from my network for two weeks, they have no power cables running to them and no ethernet cables plugged into them, one of them does not have wifi capability at all.   They physically have no way of connecting to the internet and have been in that state for 2 weeks.

The Xfinity app still says they are using data every single day.   Last Saturday my entire family was 60 miles away on a boat in the middle of a river and it still said they were using data despite being unplugged from both the network and the power supply with the power cables not even in the same room. 

All I get when I talk to support is basic stuff about changing my wifi password which has nothing to do with my issue.  Complained to Corporate, called me back, hung up on me and have not called back yet.  

I will be switching to ATT Fiber as soon as it is available in my area 

Does ATT Fiber have control of each device that connects?

Contributor

Hey Robert,

When the person tells us that the devices are no connected to the internet and yet comcast still shows data usage at a significant level, why not address the question of how that happens instead of asking about how ATT Direct functions?   Your response is like the "change your password" response, it's effectively non-responsive to the situation the customer describes. 

I have asked a similar question:  how can a single win 10 computer that streams almost no video use 485 GB of data in a 30 day period?  Nobody on these forums has addressed these hard questions as far as I can tell. 

Give it a shot.  How do these things happen?  Can these data usage reports possibly be correct?

Expert

Sorry, I don't know any more than you do; I'm just a user who is trying to help in any way I can.

Frequent Visitor

No idea. But I'm sick of the con men at Comcast who still say devices that have no power running to them, no ethernet connection and no wifi capability are using data every day.

If they are allocating data usage to unplugged devices how can I believe their total data usage is accurate?
Expert

@davva360 wrote:
No idea. But I'm sick of the con men at Comcast who still say devices that have no power running to them, no ethernet connection and no wifi capability are using data every day.

If they are allocating data usage to unplugged devices how can I believe their total data usage is accurate?

I can't picture how Comcast could allocate usage to unplugged devices; they could only do that when the device is connected to the Internet.

Frequent Visitor

I can't picture it either.   However it is happening. 

My son lost his privileges for a month on June 17th.  Both of the devices are on his profile and his entire profile was paused on June 17th.  Furthermore, I took the power cables that run both devices, made sure there are no other compatible cables available and locked them in my office.   They have been there ever since.   One of the devices is a desktop, it does not have a wifi card in it.  The Xbox could theoretically connect via wifi if it had power.   The ethernet cable that feeds his room has been disconnected and also locked in my office the entire time.  

On Saturday June 29 we were 60 miles away on a boat in the middle of a river and during that time Comcast say there was activity on those two devices.  As I mentioned previously it is an absolute impossibility for that to be the case.    Both disconnected from power and ethernet, no one in the house to change that status.  

I am not saying they really used data, what I am saying is the Xfi app is not reliable AT ALL when it comes to monitoring activity and my situation proves it.   With that in mind am I wrong to doubt what it says when it reports my overall data usage?  If it is not correct on a device level why should I beleive it on a total usage level which is just the individual devices combined?

I will be leaving Comcast permanently as soon as I have an alternative, and that should be pretty soon.   They have not been able to explain this, because it is not explainable.   They have not admitted there is a problem, and they are still using this system to bill people extra money if they go over their data limit.  I never have gone over the limit but I have come close.

Contributor

I filed a complaint with the consumer protection division of WA State AG office citing exactly these issues.  Comcast keeps saying trust us, we measure the data, but if you ask for proof of the data usage, they cannot provide anything.  And if you measure your own devices or turn them off, you may find that the comcast numbers make no sense. 

But, yeah...  change your password and pay the extra $50 per month for unlimited data. 

I have looked around here, I don't see many good options that would allow me to move away from comcast, but I will keep looking. 

Cheers,

Mike

Official Employee

Hello @maryleacoday. I can assist with reviewing your account to ensure we have a ticket opened to investigate your AG complaint regarding your concern of our measuring data usage. I understand it can be frustrating trying to understand how your data usage is measured, without a tool to break down the fine details of usage by device. So that I can take a look at your account, please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary phone number.

Frequent Visitor

There is already a ticket open on this issue. Like I said in my earlier posts there is clearly something wrong with how Xfinity are measuring data usage if devices that have been offline for over 2 weeks are still said to be using data. I am not concerned about my high usage, I stream all my TV from another provider as Xfinity are now too expensive for TV. I know my usage is higher than average because of that but I do wonder whether the usage is accurate at all now that I have discovered this issue.. Thanks for the offer but I don't want to waste any more time than I already have on this issue.