members

online now

discussions

Xfinity xFi Pods - Updated Market Availability and Gateway Compatibility

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity xFi Pods Now Available in Select Markets

ComcastKate,

I sure hope you are reading this and can help me again.  This morning I noticed that the internet in the home was very flaky.  All the lights were flashing on all six xFi pods showing they were not connected.  I thought this strange.  I tried normal troubleshooting techniques but these did not work.  I then tried to re-add one of the pods via the mobile app, which to my surprise said I was not on the correct firmware.  I verified this via the admin app at 10.0.0.1 and to my surpise showed me I was at: Software Image Name:DPC3941_2.7p8s1_PROD_sey.   Why was I surprised, because back on 12/18/17, my original post, you pushed me version 2.8 which corrected my original issue.  I have already tried rebooting my Gateway twice to see if I could get firmware version 2.8 back, but this has not worked.  I called Comcast support, talked to 5 different people, from technical support, to a supervisor, to someone in equipment and no one could assist me.  After 90 minutes, they finally told me that the manufacter has identified a firmware issue with the DPC3941T, they had no way of pushing firmware 2.8, and that my only resolution would be to go to a service center to replace my modem with an Arris TG1682G.  Really?  C'mon, can you please get your act together.  So ComcastKate, can you help me out?

1. How can I get firmware 2.8 back on my gateway so that I can get my xFI pods back up and running?

2. What caused the firmware (that you pushed) to go back down to 2.7 causing all the xFi pods to disconnect?

3. Do I really need a different modem for the xFi pods (forget the fact that they were working for me for a month!)?

3. How can we better train your internal support staff with respect to the xFi pods?

Most appreciated,

Peter

Official Employee

wrote:

ComcastKate,

I sure hope you are reading this and can help me again.  This morning I noticed that the internet in the home was very flaky.  All the lights were flashing on all six xFi pods showing they were not connected.  I thought this strange.  I tried normal troubleshooting techniques but these did not work.  I then tried to re-add one of the pods via the mobile app, which to my surprise said I was not on the correct firmware.  I verified this via the admin app at 10.0.0.1 and to my surpise showed me I was at: Software Image Name:DPC3941_2.7p8s1_PROD_sey.   Why was I surprised, because back on 12/18/17, my original post, you pushed me version 2.8 which corrected my original issue.  I have already tried rebooting my Gateway twice to see if I could get firmware version 2.8 back, but this has not worked.  I called Comcast support, talked to 5 different people, from technical support, to a supervisor, to someone in equipment and no one could assist me.  After 90 minutes, they finally told me that the manufacter has identified a firmware issue with the DPC3941T, they had no way of pushing firmware 2.8, and that my only resolution would be to go to a service center to replace my modem with an Arris TG1682G.  Really?  C'mon, can you please get your act together.  So ComcastKate, can you help me out?

1. How can I get firmware 2.8 back on my gateway so that I can get my xFI pods back up and running?

2. What caused the firmware (that you pushed) to go back down to 2.7 causing all the xFi pods to disconnect?

3. Do I really need a different modem for the xFi pods (forget the fact that they were working for me for a month!)?

3. How can we better train your internal support staff with respect to the xFi pods?

Most appreciated,

Peter

Hi Peter, 

My apologies for this issue. I am not sure why the firmware version reverted back to 2.7, but I have escalated this issue to our Engineering teams to find out more and to get this fixed for you as quickly as possible. I hope to have an answer later today. You do not need to swap your Gateway. 

I will revisit the troubleshooting steps the technical teams followed to address this issue as only the Engineering team can push this version of firmware at this time. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Thank you, I'll wait to hear back.

If you want to follow-up with a phone call, I could explain how yesterday's call went, if it helps.  A short summary follows:

• Called Xfinity support and followed the prompts for Internet/Phone
  • Spoke with the 1st person in Customer Support, who sent a signal to the modem to reboot, then realized she wouldn't be able to help further and sent me to Technical Support
  • The 2nd person, also tried to send a different (?) signal to the model to reboot, that also did not help, and he felt he did not have the right tools or information to assist me further.
  • He then sent me the a 3rd person.  She was so clueless, I couldn't stand it anymore.  She started talking about modem specifications that had nothing to do with the issue.
  • Apparently her supervisor was listening on the call, and then the supervisor took over the call.  At this point my patience was growing slim, and I re-articulated the issue.  I asked him to tell me the highest firmware update that he was aware of for my gateway.  He said 2.7.  So he was unaware that there is this 2.8 update.  He then connected me with another person.
  • The 5th person was in equipment, who goes on to say that they couldn't resolve the issue.  The gateway had a company-wide recall and they were rolling out new gateways, and that it was best for me to replace mine with an Arris TG1682G, and that would correct the issue.  My personal opinion is they could wait to get me off the call, which clocked in at just under 2 hours.

I hope you find this helpful.

Official Employee

wrote:

Thank you, I'll wait to hear back.

If you want to follow-up with a phone call, I could explain how yesterday's call went, if it helps.  A short summary follows:

• Called Xfinity support and followed the prompts for Internet/Phone
  • Spoke with the 1st person in Customer Support, who sent a signal to the modem to reboot, then realized she wouldn't be able to help further and sent me to Technical Support
  • The 2nd person, also tried to send a different (?) signal to the model to reboot, that also did not help, and he felt he did not have the right tools or information to assist me further.
  • He then sent me the a 3rd person.  She was so clueless, I couldn't stand it anymore.  She started talking about modem specifications that had nothing to do with the issue.
  • Apparently her supervisor was listening on the call, and then the supervisor took over the call.  At this point my patience was growing slim, and I re-articulated the issue.  I asked him to tell me the highest firmware update that he was aware of for my gateway.  He said 2.7.  So he was unaware that there is this 2.8 update.  He then connected me with another person.
  • The 5th person was in equipment, who goes on to say that they couldn't resolve the issue.  The gateway had a company-wide recall and they were rolling out new gateways, and that it was best for me to replace mine with an Arris TG1682G, and that would correct the issue.  My personal opinion is they could wait to get me off the call, which clocked in at just under 2 hours.

I hope you find this helpful.

Thank you, Peter. This detail is very helpful. I'll be sharing with the team and I'll direct message you to set up a time to discuss.

Your Gateway should have the correct firmware version 2.8p17 and your Pods should be online again. Please let me know if you are continuing to experience any issues. Thank you for your patience. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

wrote:
Hello, we bought the pods in Philly this week and are trying to set up them up and it we get the “please try again” when merging the names of the 2 WiFi nets (2.4 and 5). Current firmware is DPC3941_2.8p17s1_PROD_sey

Hi Kek215, 

It sounds like there is an issue with trying to merge the bands during activation. Can you use the xFi mobile app to first combine your bands prior to attempting to activate the xFi Pods? To do so, please visit the Network section, tap on 'Edit WiFi' and choose to use the same WiFi name and password for both bands. Once that edit is made, then try to activate your Pods. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you! As of 6:30pm all 6 xFi pods are online and the firmware is confirmed to be 2.8. Looking forward to our call.
New Poster

Was able to order Pods here in Colorado yesterday.  I received an order number on the website, but no confirmation email.  Any suggestions on how to track?  What's the shipping time?

Admin1

Hi boomer2G -- You should receive a notification with shipping information once the xFi Pods are ready to ship. Shipping would be standard 5-7 business day shipping. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Hi,

When is this going to be available in Cali? My home wifi is horrible especially in our master bedroom and looking to purchase something like xfi pods but you don't let us californians buy it. When can we take an advantage of this cool gadget?

Thank you!
Admin1

GillSaab -- We're slowly launching this product throughout our service area. We have launched them in Boston, Chicago, and most recently Colorado. We have not announced a launch date for other areas at this time yet. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Visitor

Hi Comcast folks, I was able to order a 3-pack of Pods this week and should arrive in 2 days, per UPS.  My issue is my modem is still on DPC3941_2.7p8s1_PROD_sey and from I’m reading I need an update of the firmware to support my upcoming Pods. For kicks, I rebooted my modem twice, but no change. Can you push out the new firmware to me before I receive the Pods so I can set them up as soon as they arrive?

Thanks!

Regular Visitor

Hi, additional question, I would like to use the Pods while wired back to the Modem via Ethernet. I’m reading that I cannot setup a Pod if its Ethernet port is connected back to the modem.  However, once they are setup, I would like them to be all connected via Ethernet. Is this possible? My assumption here is that wired Pods will be faster than wireless meshed Pods.  I know the original Plume Pods can do this but cannot confirm that the XFi versions can. If not, what is the purpose of the Ethernet port?  I would really like to take advantage of my hard wired Ethernet ports throughout my house. 

Thanks for the help. 

Official Employee

@sr2801 wrote:

Hi Comcast folks, I was able to order a 3-pack of Pods this week and should arrive in 2 days, per UPS.  My issue is my modem is still on DPC3941_2.7p8s1_PROD_sey and from I’m reading I need an update of the firmware to support my upcoming Pods. For kicks, I rebooted my modem twice, but no change. Can you push out the new firmware to me before I receive the Pods so I can set them up as soon as they arrive?

Thanks!

Hi sr2801, 

The firmware update should automatically happen prior to receiving your xFi Pods, but I'm double checking with the teams to make sure it's in process. I will confirm later today.

Thanks!

ComcastKate

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

@sr2801 wrote:

Hi, additional question, I would like to use the Pods while wired back to the Modem via Ethernet. I’m reading that I cannot setup a Pod if its Ethernet port is connected back to the modem.  However, once they are setup, I would like them to be all connected via Ethernet. Is this possible? My assumption here is that wired Pods will be faster than wireless meshed Pods.  I know the original Plume Pods can do this but cannot confirm that the XFi versions can. If not, what is the purpose of the Ethernet port?  I would really like to take advantage of my hard wired Ethernet ports throughout my house. 

Thanks for the help. 

Hi sr2801,

xFi Pods are currently designed to connect wirelessly to each other and the xFi Gateway, and cannot be connected via Ethernet to each other or the Gateway during or after activation.  Each xFi Pod includes an Ethernet port in case you want to connect a stationary device, such as a printer, directly to the network. Support for Ethernet Backhaul functionality (so that xFi Pods can be connected via Ethernet to the xFi Gateway during or after activation) is on our roadmap but not currently supported.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Visitor

Unfortunately, I am going to have to return the Pods. The issue is that while a wireless extender does extend the WiFi signal it does so at a cost of speed. For example, in my bedroom, without the Pods I was at about a speed of 90 down and with the Pods I was under 50. I had a stronger signal but slower speed. This is because a wireless “hop” cuts the speed in half. My goal was to extend my 179 down speeds I see in my Family Room throughout the house using the Pods Ethernet Backhauled, like the Plume Pods can do today. If I knew that the Ethernet Backhaul feature was coming soon then I’d keep them ...

Frequent Visitor

If you are getting 50Mbps, you have a labout issue. You need more pods or better placement. The pods are low power and designed to be more densely implemented than the normal access point. I have seven for a 2500sf house and that’s using wired backhaul where placement is less critical.

I regularly get 90-100Mbps with the original Plumes using wireless backhaul (measured using iperf3).

Make sure you are waiting 24 hours after each change before testing and that the client device you are using to test has roamed to the closest pod. Start from the point of your Internet connection and move outwards to make sure that the intrapod connections are good.

Regular Visitor

So the Pod that I was connected to was 10ft from me. That Pod was 25ft from the Modem, through some walls. Then I moved that Pod to about 20ft from the modem and about 15ft from me. Both placements of the Pod gave me the same ~50 down. Without the Pod plugged in (and connected directly to the modem) I was ~90 down. Every time that tested I verified the BSSID was where it should.

Bottomline, I was hopping to extend my 150+ down throughout the house. My house is about 2,000sf on two floors. I feel that if the Pods were wired backhaul that I would see this speed. Until they can do this, for my needs, I cannot use them.