Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,843,258

members

1,561

online

36,387

topics

Top

Xfi pods and extenders

Regular Visitor

Xfi pods and extenders

Is there any available mesh pods or extenders that work with the new xfinity xfi system?

Service Expert

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/XFINITY-xFi/m-p/2902955#M254460




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

I don't see any response to my specific question.  Why is comcast claiming I have accepted a solution when there is none!


hobbsdl wrote:

Is there any available mesh pods or extenders that work with the new xfinity xfi system?


 

Service Expert

Re: Xfi pods and extenders


hobbsdl wrote:

I don't see any response to my specific question.  Why is comcast claiming I have accepted a solution when there is none!


hobbsdl wrote:

Is there any available mesh pods or extenders that work with the new xfinity xfi system?


 


This thread is not marked as solved.  The link I posted mentioned that the Plume pod will work.




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

Any others such as net gear?
Connection Expert

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

FWIW, the "Plume" pods will function but they can't be managed by "Xfi".




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

Comcast doesn't do anything that limits your ability to install different WiFi options. You can install anything you want as long as you have the necessary knowledge to make the required networking configuration changes. I'm running six Plume pods which replaced three eero access points which replaced two "standard" WiFi routers/access points. None of those changes were required, I just like experimenting when different options.

 

But you are on your own. Comcast doesn't (yet) have a whole-house WiFi service offering. If you want a mesh or other multi-access point solution, you've got to work figure it out. I found both eero and Plume to be helpful with any questions. The most basic implementation is to install the new equipment in bridge mode and let it run side-by-side with your Comcast equipment with the same network name. All you need is an open Ethernet port on your current network. A more advanced implementation would be to also disable WiFi on your Comcast equipment to reduce interference and give you a single point of WiFi management.

 

Be aware that mesh isn't "magic". In particular, neither eero nor Plume provided much help out of the box with figuring out the number and placement of wireless points beyond a couple of very broad rules of thumb. Tech support was able to provide some additional assistance but it's still more art than science. I have Ethernet and MoCA connections in most rooms in my house which largely made placement a non-issue which makes placement much easier. I experimented with wireless "backhaul" (the connections between the wireless access points) just to get some experience with it but switched to wired as it is about 1000x easier and better.

New Poster

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

I am told that maybe by the end of the year Comcast may have the mesh pods? We will see

New Poster

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

I'm using Plume as well with the wifi turned off on the router. My wireless signal and latency has improved dramatically. However, the big thing for me is that xFi will not see/manage any device NOT connected directly to the router - in my instance a bridged device. So it won't see anything connected to a repeater either. They need to fix that.
New Poster

Re: Xfi pods and extenders


sheletta1 wrote:

I am told that maybe by the end of the year Comcast may have the mesh pods? We will see


Is there a rough ETA yet for when these will be available?

New Poster

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

Brian Roberts, CMCSA CEO, pitched xFI and xFI extenders on CNBC Squawk Box this morning.  laims they have 4-packs sitting on the shelf.

New Poster

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

Just went to my Xfinity store.  No four packs.  He sent us to Best Buy.  They had expensive add ons. $400 range.  For that I'll just hang on to my Orbi until Xfinity actually carries something for xfi.  

New Poster

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

I stopped waiting for xfinity to get around to this and just went to the Plume website and bought them.  Works like a charm and it's silly how easy it was to set up, almost to the point of saying there is no set up, they set themselves up, the hardest part about it was looking up the android app needed to do it.

New Poster

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

I work for Comcast and the xfi pods just became available for employees to buy and give feedback on.  They come in 3 and 6 packs.

Service Expert

Re: Xfi pods and extenders


mcfatty wrote:

I work for Comcast and the xfi pods just became available for employees to buy and give feedback on.  They come in 3 and 6 packs.


Darn.  I just bought a Netgear Orbi tri-band.  I have an issue with the XB6; I have an extensive ethernet network and as of now, I couldn't replace my TG1682G with the XB6.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Xfinity-XB6-Arris-TG3482G-LAN-Interface-Issues/m-p/29...




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

McFatty,

What has been your experience with the pods?

Any specifics on performance, # of pods 3 vs 6?

Also, it states that you must have your 2.4 and 5GHz networks using the same SSID.   Any issue there?

Official Employee

Re: Xfi pods and extenders


Anon186362 wrote:

McFatty,

What has been your experience with the pods?

Any specifics on performance, # of pods 3 vs 6?

Also, it states that you must have your 2.4 and 5GHz networks using the same SSID.   Any issue there?


They work very well. I just installed a 3 pack at my house. Set up is less than 10 minutes. Check this thread for availability.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-xFi/Xfinity-xFi-Pods-Now-Available-in-Select-Markets/td-p/30156...

 

 


Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

Sounds wonderful. What is the scheduled roll out for the Philadelphia area?
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

I am literally across the street from chicago houses. I am 15 minutes from Downtown Chicago, I am in park ridge, yet i cannot order the pods, can a Comcast mod please reach out to me to assist me with this??

Service Expert
Moved:

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

I’m curious if anyone has figured out how devices (e.g. - iPad, laptop, etc) know what wi-fi frequency they are attaching to when using the same name/pw for both the 2,4mhz and 5mhz radios.

For example, now in my home I try to isolate the more utilitarian devices to the 2.4mhz radio (has a separate name), and keep the 5mhz radio isolated for devices with greater speed requirements, like my streaming devices (e.g. - Amazon Fire TV, TiVo, etc.) and the devices they stream to.

This may be bad practice, I don’t know. I don’t find much written on best practices with multi-radio wireless installations.

But with the xFi Pods rolling out, and requiring a unified naming scheme for the radio bands, I just am not clear on how traffic gets managed to optimize performance.
Regular Visitor

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

Has anyone discovered whether the xFi Pods can be used with a standard xFinity Gateway (XB3), or whether they require the new xFinity Advanced Gateway (XB6)?
Official Employee

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

Yes they can, that’s what my personal setup is. As long as it’s not a 3939 model

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

Are the xfi pods compatible with the XB6 and gigibit service?

Service Expert

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

A recent post in this forum says they are not yet compatible with the XB6.




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

If I purchase the plume pods from plume,when the upgrade comes through for my chi router will the cig router be able to manage them
New Poster

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

Sorry, auto correct. I have an xb3 router 4931t I think
Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Xfi pods and extenders


@Rlh77 wrote:
If I purchase the plume pods from plume,when the upgrade comes through for my chi router will the cig router be able to manage them

Yes, you can use Plume pods with your Gateway to extend WiFi coverage in your home. However, they will not integrate with xFi, meaning that you will not be able to manage them through the xFi mobile app or web experience. Also, depending on your network setup after installing the Plume pods, you may not be able to manage all of your connected devices through xFi.

 

xFi Pods have been specifically designed to work with your Gateway and integrate seamlessly into xFi so that you can manage them through the xFi mobile app or web experience. We anticipate that xFi Pods should be available in your area within the next month or so.

 


Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

Thanks @ComcastBrittany.

 

So just to confirm, the xfi pods ARE compatible with gigabit service AND the XB6 modem?

Official Employee

Re: Xfi pods and extenders


@FlashGordon57 wrote:
I’m curious if anyone has figured out how devices (e.g. - iPad, laptop, etc) know what wi-fi frequency they are attaching to when using the same name/pw for both the 2,4mhz and 5mhz radios.

For example, now in my home I try to isolate the more utilitarian devices to the 2.4mhz radio (has a separate name), and keep the 5mhz radio isolated for devices with greater speed requirements, like my streaming devices (e.g. - Amazon Fire TV, TiVo, etc.) and the devices they stream to.

This may be bad practice, I don’t know. I don’t find much written on best practices with multi-radio wireless installations.

But with the xFi Pods rolling out, and requiring a unified naming scheme for the radio bands, I just am not clear on how traffic gets managed to optimize performance.

This is a great question. While you can keep your 2.4 and 5 GHz networks separate with different WiFi names/passwords, our recommendation is to combine into a single WiFi network name with one password across both bands. This is because our Gateways include functionality to determine the optimal WiFi connection for client devices, balancing signal strength and congestion of the WiFi network in the home.  If additional WiFi coverage is needed throughout your home you can add xFi Pods, however this will require you to combine your bands.


Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Re: Xfi pods and extenders


@Nitsuj2014 wrote:

Thanks @ComcastBrittany.

 

So just to confirm, the xfi pods ARE compatible with gigabit service AND the XB6 modem?


Apologies I missed this post. Yes, xFi Pods are compatible with the XB6 and Gigabit service in the 3 markets as mentioned in this post: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-xFi/Xfinity-xFi-Pods-Updated-Market-Availability-and-Gateway/td...


Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

As I understand it each pod has an included GigE port. Will said port be activated to allow wired connections or will it be deactivated since normally the Plume pods (which these are) have that feature to connect to a modem or router in "bridge" or oher mode to replace the wireles system. I am really hoping that the Ethernet port will be activated since I will be installing one in my Man Cave and have several things that have Ethernet ports and would be smarter to use that instead of wireless. Would be nice to have a wired jack in some rooms for devices that have poor or old WiFi chips etc.

 

Also I have heard rumor that nationwide rollout is imminent and may be as early as mid-this month. I can hardly wait. Though I have decent coverage in my home I'm not getting GigE speeds to my GigE service from all areas of the house and coverage can be spotty in the far reaching corners (xFi is performing a bit better in 5g than Apple but much worse than Apple on 2.4 I run both silmultaniously in different non conflicting channels and the combination works well). I'm ordering then the second they bcome avalable. Entertained getting Plume, but you end up paying more since they "replace" your existing WiFi, don't indirate into the Comtastic Experience and I don't really like any of the colors for my home. If they work the Apple Time Capsule will not only be in "bridge" mode but I will also turn off it's radio and go with the xFi system only with only one SSID.

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

Hi, when I got my XB3 replacement Gateway, I was confused by the single network name and asked Xfinity Rep to separate the 2.4 & 5 radio bands. Since I plan to get xFi Pods, should I now call to combine the network names from two to one?

Official Employee

Re: Xfi pods and extenders


@lamirab wrote:

Hi, when I got my XB3 replacement Gateway, I was confused by the single network name and asked Xfinity Rep to separate the 2.4 & 5 radio bands. Since I plan to get xFi Pods, should I now call to combine the network names from two to one?


Yes, if you plan to purchase xFi Pods, you will need to combine your 2.4 and 5 GHz bands in order to activate the Pods. 


Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

Other than a kudo, crickets. Anyone know of the Ethernet port on the pods will be active?


@Mr_Kludge wrote:

As I understand it each pod has an included GigE port. Will said port be activated to allow wired connections or will it be deactivated since normally the Plume pods (which these are) have that feature to connect to a modem or router in "bridge" or oher mode to replace the wireles system. I am really hoping that the Ethernet port will be activated since I will be installing one in my Man Cave and have several things that have Ethernet ports and would be smarter to use that instead of wireless. Would be nice to have a wired jack in some rooms for devices that have poor or old WiFi chips etc.

 

Also I have heard rumor that nationwide rollout is imminent and may be as early as mid-this month. I can hardly wait. Though I have decent coverage in my home I'm not getting GigE speeds to my GigE service from all areas of the house and coverage can be spotty in the far reaching corners (xFi is performing a bit better in 5g than Apple but much worse than Apple on 2.4 I run both silmultaniously in different non conflicting channels and the combination works well). I'm ordering then the second they bcome avalable. Entertained getting Plume, but you end up paying more since they "replace" your existing WiFi, don't indirate into the Comtastic Experience and I don't really like any of the colors for my home. If they work the Apple Time Capsule will not only be in "bridge" mode but I will also turn off it's radio and go with the xFi system only with only one SSID.


 

Contributor

Re: Xfi pods and extenders


@Mr_Kludge wrote:

Other than a kudo, crickets. Anyone know of the Ethernet port on the pods will be active?


@Mr_Kludge wrote:

As I understand it each pod has an included GigE port. Will said port be activated to allow wired connections or will it be deactivated since normally the Plume pods (which these are) have that feature to connect to a modem or router in "bridge" or oher mode to replace the wireles system. I am really hoping that the Ethernet port will be activated since I will be installing one in my Man Cave and have several things that have Ethernet ports and would be smarter to use that instead of wireless. Would be nice to have a wired jack in some rooms for devices that have poor or old WiFi chips etc.

 

Also I have heard rumor that nationwide rollout is imminent and may be as early as mid-this month. I can hardly wait. Though I have decent coverage in my home I'm not getting GigE speeds to my GigE service from all areas of the house and coverage can be spotty in the far reaching corners (xFi is performing a bit better in 5g than Apple but much worse than Apple on 2.4 I run both silmultaniously in different non conflicting channels and the combination works well). I'm ordering then the second they bcome avalable. Entertained getting Plume, but you end up paying more since they "replace" your existing WiFi, don't indirate into the Comtastic Experience and I don't really like any of the colors for my home. If they work the Apple Time Capsule will not only be in "bridge" mode but I will also turn off it's radio and go with the xFi system only with only one SSID.


 


Answering my own question. Chatted with a tech today about some other issues and he indicated he has worked with those in the current xFi Pod service area and he can confirm that at least for now the Ethernet port is active and works. This is great news. I do have a Ethernet over Power Line mesh network, but it's limited to 10/100 and I want my GigE. I figure "if you got 'em you might as well smoke 'em"

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats