Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Xfi Pod Supportability for Cameras

Regular Visitor

Xfi Pod Supportability for Cameras

I have a larger coverage area and my wifi signal is too weak to support a Xfinity XCam where I need it. Can i use the Xfi Pod to extend my network to provide coverage and are cameras supported? I have heard of issues with net-extenders and camera support. 

Expert

Re: Xfi Pod Supportability for Cameras

@shutch4251 wrote:

I have a larger coverage area and my wifi signal is too weak to support a Xfinity XCam where I need it. Can i use the Xfi Pod to extend my network to provide coverage and are cameras supported? I have heard of issues with net-extenders and camera support. 

Are you referring to something other than XHome cameras?  XHome uses the Zigbee protocol and not wifi.

Official Employee

Robert, the cameras use Wi-Fi and sensors use Zigbee
Official Employee

Shutch4251, Using the Xfi pods(when available in your area) is just an extension of your wireless network and will work with the cameras
Expert

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Robert, the cameras use Wi-Fi and sensors use Zigbee

OOPS!!!  I did not know that.  Thanks.

Regular Visitor

Thank you for the confirmation, one more question. are there known issues with other network extenders or do i have to use xfi pods? I have tried several different linksys off the shelf products and have swapped out cameras with success. 

Expert

@shutch4251 wrote:

Thank you for the confirmation, one more question. are there known issues with other network extenders or do i have to use xfi pods? I have tried several different linksys off the shelf products and have swapped out cameras with success. 

I have two cameras and I am using the Orbi which is like the pods.  My gateway is an Arris XB3 in bridge mode.