Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XFINITY xFi

New Poster

Re: XFINITY xFi

thanks again. I have discovered that the online chat is a BAD IDEA. I think the best course of action is back to the store tomorrow, as you suggested. Rebuilding the network and reconnecting all the devices is brutal, but I did it today, so at least the process is fresh in my mind.

New Poster

Updating my own note here: the chat was a GOOD idea. It took a while, and explaining things multiple times, but we got there in the end. Ultimately, the Technicolor unit IS COMPATIBLE. Far as they are concerned, it and the cisco unit are the same thing. Them reprovisioning the unit from afar FINALLY, FINALLY updated the SW to DPC3941_2.5p2s1_PROD_sey  from the previous 2.3p18s1. Now, xFi works - on the app and on the browser. Anshul on the chat is my hero tonight. 

Problem Solver

Awesome. As long as it stays working for you.
Regular Visitor

Does anyone know how to prevent the display of the WiFi password on the TV X1 app?

If it is not possible, is there a way to disable or delete the X1 app?

It is an obvious security vulnerability.

Tags (3)
Service Expert

Steve3210 wrote:

Does anyone know how to prevent the display of the WiFi password on the TV X1 app?

I know of no way to prevent the display.  Everyone in my family needs to know the password so they can use my wifi network.  Who are you concerned about?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Official Employee

Steve3210 wrote:

Presently. only Parental Controls and setting a PIN to block all Apps is the only way that I know of

Xfinity button->Gear Symbol->Parental Controls

Create a PIN and scroll down to Feature Locks and choose applications

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Regular Visitor

That appears to lock *all* Apps including Netflix, etc.  Not a good solution for my situation.

I saw some other posts with similar concerns.  Maybe Comcast could add this feature in the next release.

Regular Visitor

Everyon's situation is different.  I have separate WifFi guest access on one of my (non-Xfinity) routers for non-family members to access the internet.  

Exposing WiFi password to anyone that can speak "show me WiFi password" into the remote is not always a good idea.  E.g. guests at party, kid's friends, neighborhood kids, house sitter, etc.

I have a NAS on my network with files I may not want non-family to access.  I know people with IP security cameras that they may not want shared with neighbors, etc.  I'm hoping Comcast will at least provide an option to block password display in a future update to the X1 app.

New Poster

I am having a similar problem getting the xfi app or online xfi settings to work. I get the error: "

Sorry, We're Having Some Trouble

Please contact us at 1-800-XFINITY.

on both. I have a Cisco 3941T XB3 gateway

New Poster

Last week I saw your advertisment on the Next Door website saying that it is now available in my neighborhood but when I called to upgrade to it I was told that it is not yet available in Michigan. I also saw the article in The Detroit Free Press from May which shows it is now avaiable. Northville, MI 48168

New Poster

I really like the bedtime mode and how easy it is to use but I wish I could restrict access during specific hours in multiple time blocks. Not just at bedtime but also during the day. Especially with summer coming I would like to block them in the afternoon only giving them access for a little while in the morning and again for a bit in the evening.

Service Expert
Moved:

Administrator
Administrator
New Poster

I have been with chat support for a while now and i am not getting anywhere with them. My XFI is working but on the app it is showing that my 2 x1 boxes are inactive. How do I get them to be active? 

Frequent Visitor

I just today started using the Gateway from Comcast, the ARRIS TG1682G. For years I've had my own cable modem and a Linksys router, but a storm yesterday fried them. So...

With help from support I got the networks (2.4 and 5) set up and reconfigured my various devices (Roku, laptops, etc.) Now I would like to get into the "setup page" of the modem/router, but when I sign in to my Xfinity account/Settings and click on the Xfinity xFi I get to a page that says something like "We're having some problems. Call..."  Am I right in assuming this is a temporary outage on their part?

So I downloaded the xFi app for my phone, but it wants to set up and configure the Gateway. It's asking me to name the network and choose a password. I have already done that (on the phone with support). Can't I just use the app to log in and see the various settings, devices, users or whatever?

Sorry if this is not the place to post these questions, and I guess I could set aside another hour or two to call support again, but I was under the impression I could enter (what I'm calling) the Setup page for the gateway (similar to the Linksys setup page.)

Thanks,

Jack

Service Expert

Maybe you could try using the xFi web interface to see what it does:

See if this gets you there:

https://internet.xfinity.com/

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

RobertWy, that's the page that says "Sorry, we're having some trouble." But at least now I know for sure that's where I'm supposed to go...I wasn't totally sure (since I haven't got it to load yet.)

Could it be that's the reason the phone app is prompting me to configure the gateway as if it hasn't been completely set up?

Thanks for your reply.

Service Expert

northjack wrote:

RobertWy, that's the page that says "Sorry, we're having some trouble." But at least now I know for sure that's where I'm supposed to go...I wasn't totally sure (since I haven't got it to load yet.)

Could it be that's the reason the phone app is prompting me to configure the gateway as if it hasn't been completely set up?

Thanks for your reply.

This is a new feature; my suggestion is to try calling Customer Service.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Connection Expert

What if you try going directly to the user interface pages in the built in web server in the device itself ;

Go to http://10.0.0.1 The username is admin and the password is password

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

EG, yes, that's where I wanted to go! Thanks. I will still call Support, RobertWy, because I would like to simply use the phone app or the links to the browser interface.

Thanks to both for your help.

Frequent Visitor

P.S. Is there a way to identify which Devices are which? (Some are already identified, others are just number codes.) If possible I'd like to rename them ("Roku," Printer," etc.)

Connection Expert

northjack wrote:

EG, yes, that's where I wanted to go! 

I figured that. Quite welcome !

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Connection Expert

northjack wrote:

P.S. Is there a way to identify which Devices are which? (Some are already identified, others are just number codes.) If possible I'd like to rename them ("Roku," Printer," etc.)

Check this topic. Not sure if this still is possible with the latest firmware or if it even applies to your particular model but you can see;

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Connected-devices-show-up-as-mac-addresses/...

The 1682 can do it with Xfi if you can get that page that was given by others to open. Good luck !

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

northjack wrote:

There is a way to give them names.  I have one device that I have not been able to identify.  I use several tools to help me with the names.  I use the gateway (10.0.01) wifi for one and Net Analyzer iPhone app for another.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Okay, I still haven't connected via the web interface, but I can get into the device's internal setup pages (10.0.0.1). I will call support when I can spare an hour or so, probably not for a day or two...

In the meantime, is there some limit to the number of devices? I've looked at some discussions on this board, but they seem to be a little old (e.g. 2013, 2015) and I think I read somewhere that this gateway I have (the ARRIS TG1682G) is fairly new. The reason I ask is; I have my laptop, 2 phones, an iPad and one of the Roku's on the faster 5G network, and a few things on the 2.4. My printer WAS connected to the 5G also, but it got disconnected and now will only find the 2.4 when searching access points. A few other devices up also only see the 2.4 network. Even if I manually enter the 5G network name the devices won't find it. Most of those devices are ones I would put on the slower network, but I'm curious as to why they cannot "see" the 5G?

Before the storm that blew out my previous setup, I had my own cable modem and a Linksys EA9200 Tri-band wireless and it had no problem handling any combination I threw at it. (I understand that the Comcast Gateway is only dual band, but am I really taxing it beyond it's capabilities?)

Thanks, and I hope I'm not asking too many questions. I'm not totally unfamiliar with using this stuff, but using a Comcast gateway is new to me. (I will probably buy a comparable wireless router again at some point, and I understand I will have to "bridge" the modem...but that's later, and will definitely be a call to support!)

Jack

Connection Expert

FWIW, if those clients can't not see the 5 GHz broadcast name it means that they are not capable.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

How to view my personal DVR over internet using Xfinity Xfi

Hello, 

I'm a long time Comcast/Xfinity user who has just  started using the Xfinity Xfi to manage several router functions on my new Xfinity Gateway.  Previously I bridged the modem and used a Linksys router.   Using Xfi allows a simpler structure but gives me the parental controls, monitoring of devices etc which I enjoyed on the Linksys SmartWi-fi.  However I have not been able to view my personal DVR (not Xfinity)  for home surveillance cameras over the internet.  I am not an Xfinity Home customer.  

On the Linksys I did (1) the Port Forwarding of the access and streaming port and (2) provided my DDNS url information. This allowed me to view the cameras on an app on my smartphone.  It "seems" I have successfully forwarded the ports, but the DNS option is not open under "advanced settings" even though they are enabled.  

Am I missing some part of the setup that XFi requires?? Would appreciate any assistance.  Rgds,  

Official Employee

palmst11 wrote:

I am having a similar problem getting the xfi app or online xfi settings to work. I get the error: "

Sorry, We're Having Some Trouble

Please contact us at 1-800-XFINITY.

on both. I have a Cisco 3941T XB3 gateway

Hello! Coincidentally, there was a technical issue during this brief time when you were attempting to access the site and receiving this message. I wanted to follow up to make sure you were no longer seeing this error and are able to access xFi with no issue now.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

Re: XFINITY xFi Not Working.

RobertWy wrote:

7bpc wrote:

I can access Xfinity xFi Using Internet Explorer browser, but I can't access it with Microsoft Edge browser. Any suggestions as I only user the Edge browser.

This link says there should be a wifi icon on Edge but mine doesn't have it.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/xfinity-xfi-overview/

This needs to be escalated to Comcast.

Hey there! Just wanted to loop back on this. xFi does support Edge. Are you still not seeing the WiFi icon in the nav to shortcut to the xFi site?

Please let me know if you are still experiencing any issues with Edge.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

preick wrote:

Customer service and tech support factory reset my device 15 times it didn't fix it, as long as that app is in place it blocks my internet access through wifi.  I have had a tech at the house three times, modem reset and restored quite a few times, even completing factory restored any other connected device.  Nothing worked I have a suspisicion that it may have something to do with IPv6 protocol and the imbedded security protocols in all systems nowadays but that is just my input.  

ComcastFrancisc wrote:

darrinjude wrote:

Very good.  Please let us know when the fix is in place and I'll try it again.

Just wanted to update you on this, for an immediate resolution we will need to do a factory reset on your device. The only problem with doing a factory reset, is that you will lose any of the current settings you have enabled for the gateway like your network name, password, port forwarding, etc. The team is still working on a fix that wont require you to do a factory reset but it will take some time before the correction is in place and pushed out. I can always update you once I have more info. 

Hello! I wanted to circle back on this. Did your issue ever get resolved? 

A quick note about those who use IPv6 protocol: xFi should work but will have some limitations on features that specify an IP address (port forwarding, DMZ, etc), so these currently cannot be set for devices with v6 IP. We do plan to support IPv6 across all functionality, but it will be awhile before that's rolled out. Hope this helps!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

7bpc wrote:

I cannot access either way. This is what I get after it attempts to load:

Capture.PNG

Hello! Just wanted to follow up:

1) Are you still not able to get the page to load by going directly to http://xfinity.com/myxfi in any browser?

2) Are you seeing the wireless icon in the top nav?

3) Are you still experiencing any issues with Edge?

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

Katya12 wrote:

Cisco DPC3941T won't sign in to Xfi.
I can sign into my wireless gateway Cisco DPC3941T, that displays the standard xfinity gateway web page and function, but When I try to sign in to internet.xfinity.com/ page. (Wanted to access their cool new nicknaming devices, and monitoring traffic functions) I still get the message "Sorry, We're Having Some Trouble"

I installed the xfinity Wifi app for adroid, and during installation is says "Let;s activate your modem" at which point I stopped.
If I am able to use my modem and and getting good broadband connection, is't my modem already activated? Would activating it with my wireless app cause changes to the config?
thanks!

Bonus round: Repeated talks with Comcast help and their Techs have not yielded anything of note.

Hello! Following up on this:

1) Are you still unable to sign in and access the xFi site if you go directly to http://xfinity.com/myxfi in a browser?

2) Do you have the latest version of the xFi app, and are you still getting a prompt to activate?

I also found this out for you: Activating an already-activated Gateway using the app should not impact your existing config. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

jweaver0312 wrote:

Would those xFi pods be free of charge when they get rolled out or will there be a charge for them? Im assuming you guys are probably going to charge per xFi pod.

Hello! Sorry for the delay in response on this -- There is no information available just yet for xFi Pods, but stay tuned! You will certainly see details here when released: http://corporate.comcast.com/

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

Dawonandonli wrote:
I have an issue where a certain device is on pause and it gives me an error message when I try to remove it. And it can still access the internet so I can't regulate just that one device on the network.

Hello! Following up on this one. By "when I try to remove [a certain device]" do you mean clicking on the 'Forget This Device" link? Please note that this simply removes it from the list of devices that can be managed in xFi but does not force it off your home WiFi network. The device can still connect to it.

Is pausing a device still not working for you? Please make sure it's not accessing a cellular connection, XFINITY hotspot, or other available network (not your home network).

Also, are you still receiving an error message regarding any of this? If so and you'd like us to look into this, please let me know what specific action are you taking before you get the erorr (steps) and what the error message is.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

hobbsdl wrote:

Are there any range extenders that work with Xfi specifically the TG1682G?

Please stay tuned! You can keep an eye here for when details about xFi Pods details are released: http://corporate.comcast.com/

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

moshea06 wrote:

Last week I saw your advertisment on the Next Door website saying that it is now available in my neighborhood but when I called to upgrade to it I was told that it is not yet available in Michigan. I also saw the article in The Detroit Free Press from May which shows it is now avaiable. Northville, MI 48168

Hello! XFINITY xFi is available to XFINITY Internet service customers with a compatible, leased xFi Wireless Gateway (Arris 1682G, Cisco 3941T or Arris TG3482G). You must also be signed in as a primary or unrestricted secondary user to access xFi.

There should be no location restriction, so you should be able to upgrade to an xFi Gateway and access xFi in Michigan! Please let me know if I can further assist with anything. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

I now have the xFi icon but Edge won't load the page. I can access xFi using Internet Explorer browser but I use Edge 99%of the time.

Frequent Visitor

I can now see the icon and can load it using Internet Explorer browser but it still doesn't load using Edge.

New Poster

xFi Reporting

Does Comcast plan to add more detailed reporting to the xfi platform.  % of usage for last 24 hours and % of montly usage do not help to track down high usage devices or users.  My household of 4 consistantly uses 800+ GB of data a month.  I am trying to figure out which apps and devices are using the most and be able to slice and dice the reporting to help clean up our internet usage.  Maybe even log files to excel download would help.

Tags (1)
Service Expert

ComcastDiana wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

7bpc wrote:

I can access Xfinity xFi Using Internet Explorer browser, but I can't access it with Microsoft Edge browser. Any suggestions as I only user the Edge browser.

This link says there should be a wifi icon on Edge but mine doesn't have it.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/xfinity-xfi-overview/

This needs to be escalated to Comcast.

Hey there! Just wanted to loop back on this. xFi does support Edge. Are you still not seeing the WiFi icon in the nav to shortcut to the xFi site?

Please let me know if you are still experiencing any issues with Edge.

I still have an issue with Win 10 Edge.  The wifi icon on the top right does not function like it does in IE11 and Chrome.  

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Xfinity xFi

Using the Xfinity xFi app to manage WiFi time at home. All was working fine untill the past couple days. My stepsons android devices will not "pause" when I manually attempt. All the other devices pause fine, just the android devises.  Keep getting the "We are having some trouble" error ...I keep trying but to no avail. HELP!!!

Contributor

Re: xFi Reporting

SNKennedy3327 wrote:

Does Comcast plan to add more detailed reporting to the xfi platform.  % of usage for last 24 hours and % of montly usage do not help to track down high usage devices or users.  My household of 4 consistantly uses 800+ GB of data a month.  I am trying to figure out which apps and devices are using the most and be able to slice and dice the reporting to help clean up our internet usage.  Maybe even log files to excel download would help.

FYI, I just did the same thing (track down heavy usage) and low and behold over 540G of transfer occurred in 5 days from a Mac Mini in a bedroom that is rarely ever used. Someone mad the mistake of logging into iCloud and not checking the settings and apparently the default is to TRANSFER your entire iCloud storage (photos, documents, etc) into the computer. If you're seeing sudden crazy high transfer.. I would look into something along those lines (iCloud, SpiderOak, and other cloud based backup solutions).

Official Employee

Re: Xfi

CCguy wrote:

XB6 installed today, and my mistake was using xfi app. Now all my port forwarding is in the cloud, the problem is I cant add any more forwards. The website tells me my modem needs firmware and to reset, but that doesnt help, and the app tells me there is a problem and to please try again later.

Also, before the debacle of using xfi, I added about 8 or 9 forwards through the mso portal 10.0.0.1 but only 4 show up in the website as active forwards, however the ones that dont show up still work.

Very buggy, I want my modem back, and without the ability to use bridge mode - my network has been severely crippled at home.

Hello! Are you still experiencing issues with the port forwarding feature of xFi?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfi

Nope. Since I was unable to utilize bridge mode on the xb6 I purchased my own d3.1 modem, and am using my own router again.
Official Employee

jpm621 wrote:

I have been with chat support for a while now and i am not getting anywhere with them. My XFI is working but on the app it is showing that my 2 x1 boxes are inactive. How do I get them to be active? 

Hello. Are your X1 boxes still showing as inactive in xFi? Is this the case even when you are watching live TV using these boxes?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

northjack wrote:

Okay, I still haven't connected via the web interface, but I can get into the device's internal setup pages (10.0.0.1). I will call support when I can spare an hour or so, probably not for a day or two...

In the meantime, is there some limit to the number of devices? I've looked at some discussions on this board, but they seem to be a little old (e.g. 2013, 2015) and I think I read somewhere that this gateway I have (the ARRIS TG1682G) is fairly new. The reason I ask is; I have my laptop, 2 phones, an iPad and one of the Roku's on the faster 5G network, and a few things on the 2.4. My printer WAS connected to the 5G also, but it got disconnected and now will only find the 2.4 when searching access points. A few other devices up also only see the 2.4 network. Even if I manually enter the 5G network name the devices won't find it. Most of those devices are ones I would put on the slower network, but I'm curious as to why they cannot "see" the 5G?

Before the storm that blew out my previous setup, I had my own cable modem and a Linksys EA9200 Tri-band wireless and it had no problem handling any combination I threw at it. (I understand that the Comcast Gateway is only dual band, but am I really taxing it beyond it's capabilities?)

Thanks, and I hope I'm not asking too many questions. I'm not totally unfamiliar with using this stuff, but using a Comcast gateway is new to me. (I will probably buy a comparable wireless router again at some point, and I understand I will have to "bridge" the modem...but that's later, and will definitely be a call to support!)

Jack

Hello. Based on the landing page message you mentioned you received when trying to access xFi after activating the Gateway, it sounds like a known issue with the way your account is set up. You have an xFi Gateway so you should be able to use your XFINITY username and password to log in to the web portal and mobile app. I will reach out to the team that can help resolve. Once you have access to xFi, you'll be able to see all of your connected devices and give these devices easy-to-remember nicknames (to answer your earlier post). 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Since the Port Forwarding feature has been 'taken-over' by XFi I am unable to configure any forwarding rules at all. Always says that port is already in use. And there doesnt seem to be a way of mapping an external port to an internal port which is a huge security risk.

Chat was completely useless, they keep on talking about Port Triggering which is a completely different thing. The last session ended with a promise that support would call me within 30 minutes... 2 days later....Nothing....

I was happy with SkyDog, XFi is a big step back unfortunately.

Official Employee

Re: xFi app says I need to upgrade my hardware

richf7 wrote:

I'm using the Arris TG1682G and the xFi app says I need to upgrade. Isn't it compatible?

Yes, this is an xFi compatible Gateway. Do you still receive the upgrade message when you try to access xFi through xfinity.com/myxfi?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Is it me, or does this whole thing sound SUPER dangerous?  An ability to take full control of your home wifi and firewall.  The ability to log in, change your passwords, open up ports, and basically have full control of your private in home modem and wifi.  All they need is your xfinity login details, or someone that happens to lose their phone that has the app installed.  I'm just not understanding how this is actually a good thing to have.  From a security standpoint, this seems like a nightmare that people should avoid.  It's also one of the reasons I recomment people purchase their own DOCSIS modem and router.  From a network security standpoint this just seems foolish for anyone to have.

If I'm wrong, please tell me why.

New Poster

Kyosji, no this is not you.  This IS just plain stupid.  Comcast needs to change this quickly.  I don't see how they can be so cavalier about the security of your network password.  Baffling...