Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

TG3482G Wi-Fi Range problems?

New Poster

TG3482G Wi-Fi Range problems?

I recently replaced my old comcast modem with the new TG34823G modem and as soon as I did, I notice that my thermostat (ecobee) can't connect to the wifi after setting up the modem.  Discover that the problem is the wifi range isn't reaching thermostat. I get an app (Wi-Fi Sweetspots) and discover that my wi-fi signal is dropping by about 1/3 every 20 feet I move away from the Modem and virtually goes to zero by the time I get to my thermosat upstairs.

Anyone else have this problem where there is a drastic drop off in the wi-fi signal with the TG34823G.

BTW, they crappy little netgear router connected to the modem that comcast gave me for my home security has a better wi-fi range than the new one, so it is not the wood walls causing the problem.

Frequent Visitor

Re: TG3482G Wi-Fi Range problems?

Yes I have the same problem. I upgraded to the gigabit which can handle over 30 devices but the range on the TG3482 is horrible. I even tried to place my gateway on bridge mode using Eero which work great for 2 weeks then I started have issues so returned the eero’s and now just waiting for XFi Pods to become available for the XB6.
New Poster

I am probably going to downgrade to get the range, as I don't think I can even put a wi-fi extender on it, unless it is very close to the gateway and I don't want to invest a bunch of money - they really should get this fixed.

Service Expert

The pods will help.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-xFi/Xfinity-xFi-Pods-Now-Available-in-Select-Markets/m-p/30156...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Sure Robert you can always spend money to get things better.  I wonder if they are purposely holding the wi-fi range so people spend more money on pods....

Service Expert

JohnBuffi wrote:

Sure Robert you can always spend money to get things better.  I wonder if they are purposely holding the wi-fi range so people spend more money on pods....

I am doubtful; in my case I have an Arris XB3 and I was upgraded to the 250 ethernet tier but that didn't have anything to do with my wifi speed.  The XB3 just doesn't have the oompgh to provide faster wifi.  And I suspect the XB6 has the same issue, so Comcast is offering the orbs to address the issue.  Just a guess.  Otherwise, why would there be other third-party solutions like Orbi and Linksys VELOP?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I  went back to the XB3 and now have WI-FI coverage in my entire house - much better than the XB6.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation