members

online now

discussions

Serious connection & recognition problems

ANSWERED
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Serious connection & recognition problems

OK I can't tell where this problem is developing the xFi app or the modem utility or both.

2 of my cellphones that used to be able to connect via the 2.4 range won't connect. One that has the 5.0 range will connect there. the other will connect via a Xfinity hotspot but won't login with the 2.4 connection. Both are listed in the acceptable devices in the modem utility. I deleted the cellphone that only gets 2.4 connections and reentered it in the modem utility and that stii didn't fix it. (This is a cellphone that I have owned for 2 years and never had this problem) (The SSID and passwords are not the problem.) I have another cellphone that is connecting to the 2.4 range so I know the range is working OK for at least one phone.

So I tried to use the xFi app and couldn't find a way to help. So I "forgot the device" (the cellphone that only gets 2.4 range.) Then I deleted it in the modem utility and then manually added it again and the xFi app isn't picking it up as a device. So now not only won't either device connect via 2.4 but now the xFi app isn't seeing one of the cellphones. How can that be?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Re: Serious connection & recognition problems

So I did a hard reboot of the modem and the 2 phones that couldn't sign on to the 2.4 range are now able to. But I don't know how long that will last. So if anyone has had this problem I can certainly use some advise on how to permanently fix this problem. Thanks.

View answer in context
Regular Contributor

I want to add more information to my problem above. I have been able to get both cell phones to connect to wifi via the 2.4 range. But here is the problem. Although I have both devices were manually entered into the MAC filtering system, both devices would only get recognized when they were listed in the automatically recognized list. Once I had them recognized using the WPS, which was very difficult and took many tries then I could connect to the wifi via 2.4. Why is this Why didn't manually entering them allow them to be recognized?

Regular Contributor

Well that didn't last long. Both phones cannot connect to my modem via the 2.4 range. Even though as I mentioned above they are in the WPS list of devices. I just can't figure this out. Do I need to do a hard boot of the modem or switch it for a new modem or is it in the modem utility?

Regular Contributor

So I did a hard reboot of the modem and the 2 phones that couldn't sign on to the 2.4 range are now able to. But I don't know how long that will last. So if anyone has had this problem I can certainly use some advise on how to permanently fix this problem. Thanks.

Official Employee

WindsurfMaui, thank you for confirming that rebooting your equipment has taken care of this issue. Let's continue to monitor this problem going forward to ensure it doesn't return. I put a reminder on this thread to reach back out to you within a few days to see how everything is going. If you need anything in the meantime please reach back out to me via this thread. Have a good day. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Regular Contributor

OK Amir thank you for working on this with me. Is there a rule for how often we should hard reboot the modems? Should we do it once a month? 3 months? If Xfinity wants us to reboot the modem how does it notify us? Thanks.

Official Employee

You're welcome, I normally hard reboot my modem once a month to make sure everything is in good working order. There's no given amount of times that you should do this, just a good rule of thumb is to reboot it once per month because rebooting can clear up any issues with the lines outside, and it will refresh your connection to all of your equipment which will also solve problems like the one you experienced on its own.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation