Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Pause and Time Block Bypass

Highlighted
Contributor

Pause and Time Block Bypass

I have paused all devices in my house (discipline reasons) and I have time blocks as well. Still, I see network activity from my childs phone between 2-5 a.m. What can I be missing in my setup or is the network activity graph giving me bogus information?

Accepted Solutions
Contributor

Re: Pause and Time Block Bypass

I think everything is working as it should. I've changed the password, paused/unpaused devices, tested time locks. Seems okay. Thx for responses.

All Replies
Expert

No clue.  I assume there is no device that hasn't been assigned to a user?

Official Employee

JimmyCricket, pausing a device may not immediately disrupt activity already in progress on that device.

Also, the pause function only pauses Internet access on your home network and does not impact access using cellular data, a public XFINITY WiFi hotspot, or other available WiFi networks. The pause function does not block connectivity to devices on a local network (e.g., a network printer). It only prevents external connections (e.g., browsing, streaming). 

KenF

Contributor

Understand this only works on home network (not LTE and connections to other networks). All devices are assigned on my network. This device is showing activity on the xfi app graph even thought the device is paused and time blocks on for that user and device as well. I dont think it would show activity on the graph when the device is using LTE or other connection (outside my home network).

That being said, the pausing and time blocks may be working correctly, but the activity graph is showing erroneous data. 

My son is fairly tech savvy and I am suspicious he has found away around. Already have had issues with him circumventing Parental Controls using VPN (thats another topic).

BTW I love the new app and the ability to have some control over the  router externally. Thank you for replies.

Official Employee

JimmyCricket, your son is quite impressive! 

Hmmm, perhaps he has found a way to unpause his device during those hours? Have you reset your password? 

KenF

Contributor

No password changes. My best solution is to remove the router from the house. 100% foolproof Smiley Wink

Official Employee

Yeah that is definitely a way to prevent him from using the internet during lights out! Have you ran any tests? Like pausing other devices and trying to use them during the day to make sure the pause feature is functioning properly under normal circumstances? 

Contributor

It seems to work as it should. The red flag was thrown when I saw activity on the one device when there shouldnt be any. I'm hoping the graph is the problem and not the pause feature. I'll continue to test and monitor.

Official Employee

Cool. Sounds good.

Contributor

I think everything is working as it should. I've changed the password, paused/unpaused devices, tested time locks. Seems okay. Thx for responses.

Regular Contributor

It could also be a negihbor,  that may have connected automatiaclly without knowing it.    Cell phones & some computers will sometimes automatically connect to any open network.   Changing the password was a good idea.   You still might see activity anyway, if you are one of those that Comcast uses as a hotspot.   A lot of computers & other devices update during the night as well.

New Poster

My kids must be pretty savvy too because they both found a way around their paused devices.

Contributor

Paige, I shouldn't admit all this on an open forum but I discovered that my kid also had the xfinity app. My secret question answer was to obvious. And he was re-setting the password so he could change the time locks. And me the dufus was getting aggravated at the xfinity app because I kept having to reset the password back.

So of course I changed the reset pw stuff and do the 2 level authentication thing to change it. 

They can get around the parental controls by using VPN. I have no idea how to stop that other than unplugging the modem and locking it up in a desk somewhere (which I do frequently).