Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

New Modem added to xfinity app &los t 1 of 2 gateways pls help

New Poster

New Modem added to xfinity app &los t 1 of 2 gateways pls help

New wireless "tower style" modem was up and running with two gateway signals - one faster (5.0) than the other (2.4).  After using the xfinity app to manage the network, scanned the back of the modem with my phone and went throgh a flawless set up process.  Until it finished and now the faster of the two gateway signals is nowhere to be found - even if I type the network name in it does not come up.  Already rebooted gateway.

Service Expert

Re: New Modem added to xfinity app &los t 1 of 2 gateways pls help

Do you also have the xFi pods?  They combine the two so there is only one and then they choose which one is the more efficient to use.  All mesh networks do this.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Yes actually, this happened while I was also installing the Pods.  I had two named networks - one clearly faster than the oither (2.4 v 5) but why would it select the named network at 2.4?  Or did it simply pick the "name" of the slower network but you suggest it's going to actually go back and forth?  Thanks for the reply.

Service Expert

My linited knowledge says that this is a "feature" with mesh networks.  Google came up with some explanations of why they do this.

I have the Orbi mesh and my understanding is that it determines which frequency to choose; for instance, my wireless printer is a 2.4 device and all I had to do was to enter my single Orbi SSID and it connects just fine.  In my opinion, this is an improvement because I don't have to worry about what is the best configuration for all my wifi devices.  Before mesh, I had two frequencies, 2.4 and 5.0 and I had to choose which one gave the best connection.  Mesh makes that deteermination now.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

@brichard15 wrote:

Yes actually, this happened while I was also installing the Pods.  I had two named networks - one clearly faster than the oither (2.4 v 5) but why would it select the named network at 2.4?  Or did it simply pick the "name" of the slower network but you suggest it's going to actually go back and forth?  Thanks for the reply.

Specifically in regards to your question of why the Pods picked the 2.4 network name, that is the way the onboarding process is currently designed when combining split 2.4 and 5.0 bands - it simply chooses the network name for the 2.4 band as the default. If you wish to rename your network so it's no longer specific to the 2.4 frequency, you can do this in xFi under Edit WiFi. Note: You will need to reconnect all your devices to this new network name. 

As RobertWy mentions, both your 2.4 and the 5 GHz bands will broadcast under this new name and your Pods/Gateway will determine the best available connection for devices on your network. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation