Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Network access restrictions for Kid devices

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 6

Hi All,

I used to set my kid's device access restrictions through the router Wireless Gateway at address 10.0.0.1. Now when I go to "Parental Control" "Managed Devices" it directs me to use the new xFi app.  In this program there is a bedtime mode where I can set only one period of time for access restriction.

I used to be able to set several windows of restricted time in the Gateway, for example 10-11 am, 1-3 pm, and then 9 pm to 8 am.  Now with xFi I can only do one with bedtime mode.  Is there some way I can get back to multiple restrictions, either through xFi or by the Gateway?

It was great to have several down times for my kid's devices.  It seems now this is lost.  Any advice is appreciated.

Chris

5 REPLIES
Posted by
New Poster

Message 2 of 6
I used the gateway to control my kids devices and it worked great. I recently uploaded the Xfi app and it too works great. The problem I have right now is that I had one device still blocked when I downloaded the app. When I set up the profile for the app in Xfi, it says the device is unpaused but the device (Iphone5) shows it is still paused and has no Internet access. Now when I go to managed devices in the gateway, it does not allow me the ability to unlock the device. How can I resolbe this?
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 3 of 6

Cbo50. Thanks for your feedback. You can adjust the bedtime time frames for weekend nights and school nights. Additional options (which I think is a more flexibility option) is manually pausing one or all of a specific user group of devices. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 4 of 6

DaddyO4, have you tried removed the device from the trusted device list and then adding it back again? 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 5 of 6

I disagree with the Comcast employee response. While the xFi interface is nicer, it is a huge loss of functionality over parental controls compared to the Wireless Gateway.  Manually pausing a device's wifi network access in xFi is pointless when it still can receive cellular data.  I had a great system in place, syncing the device access restrictions with the Comcast Wifi router's Gateway with my cellular provider's access restrictions.  Both Xfinity wifi and cellular data went off during the same time periods per day in an automatic, consistent, and predictable manner.  This gave me the ability have my child's device completely disconnected to give her breaks several times during the day (while it could still make calls and texts to parental phones only).

Now that the wireless Gateway restrictions are not functional I have to remember to manually pause and unpause each device every day at the same times the cellular activity is disabled.  This is complety impractical and I am very frustrated at the loss of this ability.

Probably most people did not even now that they had this capability before through the Wireless Gateway, but those of us who used it need it back.

Chris

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 6 of 6

Hi Chris!

We appreciate you providing your feedback. Please use this link to share your thoughts and concerns.  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.