Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Is there an easy way to put the entire WiFi system on timer?

New Poster

Is there an easy way to put the entire WiFi system on timer?

I would like to put the entire WiFi system on a timer, so that at bedtime it just goes off. I know that I can disable the individual devices my children use, but they sometimes have friends over, and I don't want them to get on their friends' devices. I know I could simply not let my kids have access to the network password so their friends devices could not be connected, but for a variety of reasons that's not practical. So, can I just set the WiFi to go off at, say, 10:00 p.m. and automatically come on again at 8:00 a.m.?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Is there an easy way to put the entire WiFi system on timer?

Most routers have parental controls.  Haven't needed them personally and haven't played with them, so not sure if they can do what you're after or not, but it seems likely they might. 

Alternatively, you might just plug it into an inexpensive plug in timer. 

New Poster

Thanks for your reply. The problem with the parental controls is that they require specification of the device, and my concern is other people's devices. As for the timer suggestion, the problem with that for me is that I don't want to disable the entire router/modem because then I would also not be able to access the internet on my ethernet-connected computer.

Official Employee

@Maverick1950 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. The problem with the parental controls is that they require specification of the device, and my concern is other people's devices. As for the timer suggestion, the problem with that for me is that I don't want to disable the entire router/modem because then I would also not be able to access the internet on my ethernet-connected computer.

There currently is no way in xFi to set a timer for the whole WiFi network to go off. One suggestion would be to set up a "Guest" or "Friends" profile in xFi to manage those devices each time they connect to your network. By doing this, you can also set that profile's Bedtime Rules to mirror those for your kids so all devices shut off at the same time. 

xFi notifications can help monitor when these devices join your network so you know when you assign them to this profile. If you don't have notifications turned on already, you can enabled them in xFi and receive notifications when new devices join your network. This online article provides more information on how to enable the different notifications: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-xfi-notification-center

I hope this information helps!

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation