Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

How do you identify a device

New Poster

How do you identify a device

I have a list of Devices on Wifi how do i dentify whihc device is whihc so i can name and assign? 

Service Expert

Re: How do you identify a device

I had to get the IP address from each device and then match them.  I still have some that I can't identify.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

I had to get the IP address from each device and then match them.  I still have some that I can't identify.

MLT77, you can go this route or you can disable the devices from WiFi and then you can add them all back one by one and amend the names as they appear on your network one by one. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

How do you get the IP address for each device? (I can see what the xFi app's default name for them by tapping the left-hand grey circle with three dots + green circle, which I assume means connected.)

The default names for the devices in the xFi app appear to be the device manufacturer's name (e.g., Apple, Amazon, although some are pretty obscure, like HonHaiPr or WistronC) + hyphenfour letters/numbers. I assume the app is getting this info from the devices themselves, but what attributes is it capturing, so I can go hunting for them on each app? Manufacturer and....what exactly?

BTW the suggestion to turn off everything is something I'd like to avoid, since there are so many, I'm not sure I would actually even get them all. It currently sees 15 active devices and another 15 inactive devices.

Service Expert

The four number suffix is the last four digits of the device's MAC address.  I used them to identify my boxes.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

DooxMan, you can view more information by seleting the device from the Devices list and then Device Details. Device Details will provide you information around the Host Name, Manufacturer, MAC Address, IP Address and Connection Type. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Thank you very much, RobertWy. I will need to go hunting for each device's MAC address (not in the xFi app, where I now understand the four digits are the last four of the device's MAC addres - I mean in all the devices thenselves).

It's too bad those 8-character default names given to devices in the xFi app couldn't be longer and grab additonal, more easily identifiable info about what the devices are or who their owners may be.

Frequent Visitor

to ComcastBrittany - In my case, I already see in my Device List those details you list, but that does not tell me how to find out what the devices are. I determined several identities by process of elimination, but for the rest - those identifiers don't help. What would be the easiest method to research?

I have one that concerns me the most that says it's connection is ETHERNET. Well, my Desktop is the only one connected by ethernet, and I've already identified that one. So that one is not it.  And it indicates 94% activity in the last 30 days. If I am usually use a separate Wifi (Linsys) and not the modem's internal ComcastWifi, does my Linksys Wifi, connected by ethernet to the Comcast modem, show up as an ethernet connected "Device" on the ComcastWiFi?  If so, I hope that my Wifi is not actually going THROUGH this Comcast WiFi, and thus slowing down my speed. (It should just be going through the modem).

Is this something you can answer, these two questions:

1. How to actually USE the information to identify the unknown devices?

2. Could my unknown ethernet device be my other router?

We appreciate the answers people provide here, especially from Comcast employees, since we cannot email questions directly to Comcast.  But understand too, the people researching here are usually looking for more DETAILS, and HOW TO.

Thanks in advance... - DJ

Official Employee

@Mr-DJ - 

The best way to identify the devices showing in your list of devices in xFi is by comparing the MAC Address as this is what we use to identify unique devices on our end. 

There is some guidance on how to look up the MAC Address on various common devices in our xFi FAQs which are accessible by navigating to xFi > More > Help > Frequently Asked Questions > Devices. For any device that this list does not cover, the directions to find the MAC Address can usually be looked up online relatively easily. 

In regards to your question about the Linksys router you have connected and it's data consumption, it is difficult to say without knowing the extent of your setup. 

Can you can confirm the router's MAC Address matched to one of those on your xFi devices list?. 

Does the Linksys router broadcast your Xfinity Network SSID/Password or does it broadcast it's own WiFi network?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation