Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
You can contribute an answer or post a question.
Posted by
Regular Contributor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.
  • On your way! Congrats on Posting 10 topics!

Accepted Solution

nntp server name

Hi,

can anyone tell me what Comcast's NNTP server name is?  Needed for newsgroup access.

thanks

Posted by
Security Expert

Re: nntp server name

Comcast newsgroups were discontinued in October of 2008.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2015
Posted by
Regular Contributor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.
  • On your way! Congrats on Posting 10 topics!

Excuse my naivety, new to the whole newsgroup thing.  I am not accessing a Comcast newsgroup - Just trying to find a server to access Microsoft news groups.  It is my understanding that the ISP has to provide that server.  Like an SMTP server for outlook. 

Or are you saying Comcast doesn't provide the server anymore?

thanks

Posted by
Security Expert

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure where you got your information, but ISP's are not required to provide an nntp server. Very few, if any do any longer. And no, Comcast does not provide an nntp server.

Microsoft is transitioning away from nntp servers to web based forums  They started closing nntp access in June 2010.See this for more information: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

You'll find Microsoft Answers (the replacement for nntp) on http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us.

There are still Usenet servers available. You can Google for more information on them. None are free, that I am aware of.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2015
Posted by
Email Expert

There certainly ARE free newsgroup services. The two most popular are eternal-september.org (I switched to them when Comcast stopped their service) and aioe.org. They don't provide binary newsgroups, but other than that they're perfectly fine.

Posted by
Visitor
  • The Community would like to Welcome you!

Did you still need newsgroup access by any chance?  Drop me a line as I may be able to help.

daemondog wrote:

Hi,

can anyone tell me what Comcast's NNTP server name is?  Needed for newsgroup access.

thanks

Posted by
Service Expert

rw901 wrote:

Did you still need newsgroup access by any chance?  Drop me a line as I may be able to help.

daemondog wrote:

Hi,

thanks

You're replying to a thread that is over 3 years old.

And now locked.

"New and Improved" isn't always.

These are public Help and Support forums. As such, any personal information such as full name, address, telephone number, account number or email address can be viewed by anyone on the internet. Keep your identity safe and post only information related to your problem.

Official Comcast Employees names are in Red. "Experts" are customers who volunteer their time in the Help forums. Only Official Comcast Employees have access to your account information.
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments