New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity wifi and Security

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

Xfinity wifi and Security

If I use Xfinity wifi on my android phone, is it secure?  I thought I once read a post on one of the forums here that you can make it secure, but I couldn't locate that post.  So, I called Comcast, and they told me there was no way to make this a secure connection.

TIA

Accepted Solution

Re: Xfinity wifi and Security

anon86290 wrote:

geek46 wrote:

anon86290 wrote:

I assume that an Xfinity wifi connection will allow internet streaming (YouTube, radio music stations, videos, etc.) without incurring data use.  I use ATT.

If you are streaming using your Xfinity account, you will be using the data associated with your account on Xfinity and it will count towards your cap.

Oh.  Hmmm...let me get this straight.  So if I'm I'm logged on to an Xfinity wifi hotspot, and I stream a baseball game, it doesn't touch my ATT mobile data account, just my Xfinity data account, even though I'm using wifi?  I've never streamed using Xfinity wifi, so I have no idea what my allowed data amount is.  How do I find out?  Would that go against the same data allowance as when one downloads a movie over my home ethernet/wifi ?

Thanks

Short answer, YES...it all counts the same.  Almost all Markets are now on a 1TB data cap with the exception of an area near San Francisco last I heard.  YOu can view the 1TB announcement at this link:  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Terabyte-Internet-Data-Usage/m-p/2741624/highlight/true#M60622

View answer in context
Regular Contributor

anon86290 wrote:

If I use Xfinity wifi on my android phone, is it secure?  I thought I once read a post on one of the forums here that you can make it secure, but I couldn't locate that post.  So, I called Comcast, and they told me there was no way to make this a secure connection.

TIA

Perhaps this is the answer:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/secure-vs-open-xfinity-wifi

Regular Contributor

I assume that an Xfinity wifi connection will allow internet streaming (YouTube, radio music stations, videos, etc.) without incurring data use.  I use ATT.

Service Expert

anon86290 wrote:

If you are streaming using your Xfinity account, you will be using the data associated with your account on Xfinity and it will count towards your cap.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

geek46 wrote:

anon86290 wrote:

Oh.  Hmmm...let me get this straight.  So if I'm I'm logged on to an Xfinity wifi hotspot, and I stream a baseball game, it doesn't touch my ATT mobile data account, just my Xfinity data account, even though I'm using wifi?  I've never streamed using Xfinity wifi, so I have no idea what my allowed data amount is.  How do I find out?  Would that go against the same data allowance as when one downloads a movie over my home ethernet/wifi ?

Thanks

Service Expert

anon86290 wrote:

geek46 wrote:

anon86290 wrote:

Thanks

Short answer, YES...it all counts the same.  Almost all Markets are now on a 1TB data cap with the exception of an area near San Francisco last I heard.  YOu can view the 1TB announcement at this link:  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Terabyte-Internet-Data-Usage/m-p/2741624/highlight/tr...

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

geek46 wrote: ... Almost all Markets are now on a 1TB data cap with the exception of an area near San Francisco last I heard. ...

Much of the Northeast isn't on the list . . . yet.  See https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-find-area

Regular Contributor

geek46 wrote:

anon86290 wrote:

geek46 wrote:

anon86290 wrote:

Thanks

Short answer, YES...it all counts the same.  Almost all Markets are now on a 1TB data cap with the exception of an area near San Francisco last I heard.  YOu can view the 1TB announcement at this link:  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Terabyte-Internet-Data-Usage/m-p/2741624/highlight/tr...

Thanks.  Coincidentally, Comcast just sent me an email advertising the new 1TB cap.  It showed my data usage averages 39MB a month.

Service Expert

anon86290 wrote:

geek46 wrote:

anon86290 wrote:

geek46 wrote:

anon86290 wrote:

Thanks

Thanks.  Coincidentally, Comcast just sent me an email advertising the new 1TB cap.  It showed my data usage averages 39MB a month.

A new FAQ for areas where the cap IS already effective and where the cap will change on Nov 1st, 2016 is here:  https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation