New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

New Device Sign-In with XFINITY Username

Posted by
Administrator

Message 28 of 49

If you sign in to My Account or an XFINITY app using a device or browser that you haven’t used to access your account before, an email will be sent to the preferred email address on your account.

The email notification will provide the details of the sign-in, including where and when the sign-in occurred. In the event that you did not attempt to sign in and you receive this message, please follow the link provided to change your password and ensure your account is secure.

HOW11448_03202017_01.png

**Note**: If you are browsing in incognito mode or clearing cookies, you will receive additional notifications regarding a new sign-in.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
48 REPLIES
Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 49

Why am I getting an email from comcast when I sign in on my home computer asking if it is me and if its not , to please change my password.  This has happened for the past 2 days.

Is this something new or does this mean that they have concerns about my account?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2 of 49

So now every time we log into our email account we're going to get an email, "

New XFINITY sign in" ??

Posted by
Contributor

Message 3 of 49

Jersey, It is happening across the board to many users apparently. I posted a thread about the constant notifications yesterday and it received lots of responses from more users experiencing the same problem. Comcast HAS NOT RESPONDED as of yet, in regards to this issue!

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 4 of 49

Yes, I agree.  We are having to delete email from comcast every time we sign into comcast email.  No response.  Who can one call?  ubull

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 5 of 49

I woke up this morning to an email from online.communications@alerts.comcast.net stating there there was:

"New Sign in with your Xfinity Username". 

And then it proceeded to provide the following information:

Username: <removed

Date: March 17, 2017 7:30AM EST

Operating System: GNU / Linux

Browser Type: Chrome

Problem is I was still asleep at this time, and I have not given anyone my credentials. Can't seem to get any information from Customer Service, they keep giving me the run around, putting me on hold, transferring me and generally not understanding the issue.

I just want to know how legit this is, make sure it is not some random automatically generated message, see if I can get some more information (e.g. location).

I have also heard that this email alert could be sent even if there just an attempted login, without it being succesful.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 6 of 49

Anybody from Xfinity have an answer. I've been getting the same email from Xfinity whenever I sign into my email. I doubt anyone from Xfinity has an answer that makes sense or solves the problem. Instead we'll see someone come into the thread (if they show up at all) and post a list of steps for us to self-troubleshoot. Or give us the old "reset your cable modem". That seems to be the first thing we're told to do everytime. Even if it makes no sense whatsoever.

I want to know if I should begin to suspect that someone else is using my account and switching back the password and deleting a seriptitious user account each time. Is that possible? For now, I'll change my password. But I really think we should take off and nuke the whole site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...

Posted by
Contributor

Message 7 of 49

Yes we are and it is very annoying! I cant tell you how many that I have had to delete today alone..

Posted by
New Poster

Message 8 of 49

I changed my email password and it fixed the problem. Also, I logged in directly to Comcast, I did not use any of the links on the Sign In email.

ChrisH3

Posted by
New Poster

Message 9 of 49

I got 2 of these this week also. I wonder what the deal is?

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 10 of 49

See if the following information helps answer your questions:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet/Comcast-Email-Phish-or-Legit-How-to-Tell-a...

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 11 of 49

Last week every time I signed into my email, I would receive an email with the subject line as.. Xfinity sign in.  The email would then say my username and other info.  These emails finally stopped on Sunday but have started again today.

I called Comcast last week about this problem and they were clueless. Another thread was started on this problem last week as others were having this same problem. I don't belive anyone from Comcast ever addressed the issues being posted about.

What is going on with your email program?? Now the problem is back.  This is ridiculous.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 12 of 49

Exact same here Rose, I was happy thinking that the issue was resolved over the weekend but nope, started receiving the annoying notifications again today.. I really wish that they would address and resolve this problem!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 13 of 49

I was getting the same message last week, but then it stopped and this morning it is back.  Don't understand what is going on with Comcast.  Even had a folder disappear from my main Comcast email that contained messages to and from Comcast that I had been saving.  It is no where and they can't find it.  At the point of saying good-bye Comcast.  Customer service reps are no help and mainly because they dont' speak or understand English and read from nothing but a script. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 14 of 49

Thanks USAF_E-8_RET,

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 15 of 49

Same here.  Getting this message on all email accounts.

New sign in with your
XFINITY username

It goes on to tell me were I logged in from.  It started again today. 

In a related issue the Xfinity homepage freezes up when using Safari. Can't click on any links or scroll down the page. Never used to,but does now.  Happened last week and stopped and I thought all was OK.  It started again today.  Getting ready to bail on Comcast at least regarding email.  Unfortunately were I live Fios is not available.

Comcast what is happening????

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 16 of 49

I consider any email from comcast to be spam and delete it.  But it is annoying to keep getting these "New sign in with your XFINITY username" emails that list my login from my home PC.  I'd think it was something other than comcast security theater if it didn't list my regular pc.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 17 of 49

Yes, I'm always signing in and out had loads of these Emails and it is me signing in...Smiley Happy

signin.PNG

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 18 of 49

To COMCASTJESSE I see you are a Comcast Administrator??  You answered a question today about someone receiving emails from Comcast every time they signed into their email account.   Why is it nobody has answered  the people in this thread? This sign-in fiasco started last week and people posted about it here. Yet nobody from Comcast ever offered a solution..not phone support or here.  When is this going to be fixed? You told the person this morning to change their settings? Why should we have to change anything when this problem just started happening last week. The issue is on YOUR end.  Fix it!!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 19 of 49

Amen and again I say AMEN! Well said Rose!!!

Posted by
New Poster
Message 20 of 49

Username: <removed>
Date: March 17, 2017, 5:03 AM EST
Operating System:Windows  
Browser Type:Chrome

Same message for me.  I turned on 2 factor authentication and today I received a verification code text that someone was attempting to sign in, which happens after successful authentication with a password.

Smells to me like xFinity was hacked...

Posted by
Contributor

Message 21 of 49

Agree totally no call or any contact from security assurance since 3/15 WOW, 28 year customer very disappointed.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 22 of 49

How do I get Comcast to stop sending these emails?  I am logging in on my home PC using my Comcast gateway and I get this email every time I log in to my email account.

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 23 of 49

I get those periodically too.  It's a security precaution to make sure you are who you say you are.  It will happen when you clear cache/browsing history, or shut down the computer then sign in again.  I don't think you will get one if you just use Sleep mode for the computer when not using it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 24 of 49
I shut down my computers regularly and I'm notified on my cell about new emails so these false alarms are really annoying.

There is a lot Comcast could be doing to provide better service at a reasonable price, but this isn't one of them.

But I do appreciate your response.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 25 of 49

I get this twice a day and respond.  I am tired of it

New sign in with your
XFINITY username 

How can I stop it?

Jim

Posted by
New Poster

Message 26 of 49

I'm getting this same thing.  I tried to access the chat, but it's telling me I need a phone number and zip code without offering me anywhere where to put this info.  Hopefully, you guys hear back about this.  It's beyond annoying.

Posted by
Administrator

Message 27 of 49
Posted by
New Poster

Message 29 of 49

I have been getting these since last Wednesday have called Comcast 3 times and 2 chat events(which both timed out before getting an answer) and I get the same answer everytime...change your password. The log in time is always when there is no one home and on a windows machine since I use an apple it's pretty obvious it's not me. I just want to know what is going on. I do Not want to change my password everyday. The guy I talked to today wanted me to change my password again then change my wifi password and consider signing up for identy gaurd through comcast hmmm. From the looks of folks on this forum I'm not alone. So I'm wondering did comcast get hacked and we will be told it happened a year from now like some other big companies have done or is comcast to blame for this problem. The way things are in the world you have to be very careful. Sign me up to be a hermit I've had enough!!

Posted by
Administrator

Message 30 of 49

@marebear1863,

We apologize that you are experiencing this issue. We always recommend that if you believe there may be fraudulent activity happening on your account, to please contact our Customer Security Assurance Department. Not only will they help you to identify any possible threads to your account security, they can also work with you to eliminate them now and into the future. You can contact them directly by calling (888) 565-4329   

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 31 of 49

No you did Not Answer my question.  Your answer makes NO SENSE!!!!!!!
If that is the case why are we getting as many as 20 of these a day when we are using the same PC?
That may be how it's suppose to work but that's NO HOW IT'S WORKING

Just another annoyance and irritating feature of Comcast???????  Way to many.  Is it time for a change?????

Posted by
New Poster

Message 32 of 49

I have called them several times.  The Customer Security Assurance Department is useless.
They say it's part of the last update.  I have to accept that because that's about when this started.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 33 of 49

I hate to tell you, but you're wrong.  All you have to do is log out and log right back in and you'll get the message.

Posted by
Administrator

Message 34 of 49

@valley_sports,

My response was in regards to user marebear1863 concern about getting these emails messages from login attempts on a windows machine when that user uses Apple devices. With that type of concern the only team that would be able to assit is our Customer Security Assurance Department. 

We apologize if you are not happy about receiving these email messages as well. This update was done in an effort to further secure our customers online accounts. In order to reduce these email messages, we recommend that you use the same device when logging in and not clearing your cache and cookies as that can trigger these email messages, as mentioned in the main post. 

I am happy to forward your concerns about receiving these email messages on a too frequent basis to that theam. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 35 of 49

That is correct all you have to do is stay on e-mail page and the xfinity e-mail comes into your inbox, while you are on the xfinity email page, talked with level 2 security assurrance level 2 in Pennsylvania, she said she was going to escalate case, this has been happening since March 15 on and on, no calls when promised back, told to clear cookies not clear cookies, but is occurring while you are on your email page and comes into your inbox.  Comcast needs to fix this issue, as they are not correct, it happens while you are reading an email and 5 or so come in inbox, while you are on the email page.  27 yr customer, not happy as no response back from them since March 15th.  Same email over and over again, my goodness.  Loyal customers are being ignored greatly....

Posted by
Contributor

Message 36 of 49

Also my cookies and caches are always cleared and Norton fully up to date...

Posted by
Contributor

Message 37 of 49

2weeks along time with no resolution and many users are having issue....  Spoke with level 2 security assurance last Friday and was told would get call Monday, no call, called Tuesday was told would get call Friday, wow, very unhappy, never log out, one computer and these emails come while on your email page.  Very disappointed in getting no response and call from open ticket from security assurance level 2 when promised.  

Posted by
New Poster

Message 38 of 49

I do not believe that a fraudulent user has access to my account; we've changed the password and continued getting new emails immediately. No changes have been made to our account, nor to any other accounts that belong to us. It seems to me that if there is a user accessing my account without my knowledge or permission it is someone with access to Comcast internal systems. It seems more likely to me that there is a bug in the latest update that has led to unintended behavior around the log-in notification feature. As it stands it is impossible to differentiate between a legimate log-in attempt and a message sent in error. I spoke to Customer Security Assurance, but they were unable to explain the messages in a satisfactory way. This seems like an issue for the development team behind the feature more than it is an issue for information security. To date I have received 8 of these email all during the day or early afternoon, all from a windows machine using Explorer as I said in my first post I don't use a windows machine. My real concern is if we all start to ignore these then if or when it really happens we'll ignore that to no good end.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 39 of 49

Easy solution:  In Settings I set up an email filter to deliver anything with the subject "New XFINITY sign in" to Trash (and dragged the filter to the top of the filter list to ensure it is given highest priority).

(BTW, if you don't yet have the new version of Xfinity Connect, filters may not work properly.)

New Xfinity Sign-In.JPG
Posted by
New Poster

Message 40 of 49

I got 4 of these e-mails this morning while I was getting ready for work (NOT SIGNING IN). I found out about it later and naturally panicked and updated my credentials right away then contacted chat support. Chat support gave me the phone number to Customer Security Assurance, who then "assured" me my account was being fraudulently accessed and tried to sell me ID protection. I'm not looking for ID theft protection, I am wanting to know if someone really did access my account or if there's an issue with the e-mail notification system. Based on this thread, I'm not sure which anymore. 

Posted by
Administrator

Message 41 of 49

Bass7river wrote:

Also my cookies and caches are always cleared and Norton fully up to date...

@Bass7river,

Every time you clear your cookies and caches you are essentially forcing our system to forget that you have ever logged into your account from that device. This is why you are receiving these emails everything you log-in (as mentioned in my main post).

Unfortunately, this is a security measure so there is nothing Security Assurance or Level 2 can do for you as this email notification is functioning the way it should.

You will notice that user Rick1361 has provided directions in this thread on how to set up a rule on your email box, this rule will prevent these type of emails from making it to your regular inbox. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 42 of 49

I am constantly getting this on my computer in the form of an email. We have not changed computers.

What is going on?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 43 of 49

The e-mails I got were all in 4 minutes of each other, then they suddenly stopped. I haven't seen another one since I changed my password. That being said, I rarely log on to my account. I had my suspicions that there might be a problem with their notification system. Also, I only ever log in from one PC. I'd like to have at least an idea of what's happening: was I hacked and everyone else is just having an e-mail problem? Am I part of an e-mail problem overall? Is Comcast as a whole getting hacked and we're getting spammed with notification e-mails? Is anyone at Comcast looking into this?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 44 of 49

@ComcastJessie,

Thanks for your response, but it does not address the real issue. I use Windows machines at home to login, and I know exactly when I log in or attempt to log in from any of my computers.  The issue here is not that I am receiving notifications of new logins that I make.

I get at lease 1 message like this every other day, and it is always from a GNU/Linux OS, and always a Chrome Browser. I know this is not me, and I have changed my password twice. From different computers and different locations (with VPN). Just to make sure that my home network was not compromised. 

Like others have mentioned, this must be a bug in a recent update at Xfinity. Hopefully they get this sorted out.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 45 of 49

Interesting, I received one of these today, no idea why. It would *really* helpful if the email showed the IP address from where the login occurred (that would be there "where" stated in the  "where and when" of the original post).

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 46 of 49

So, after enabling 2 step verification, I started receiving codes on my phone as if I (or someone) was attempting to log in to my account. I noticed one time that I received it after logging into my bank account where I have a bunch of my utilities accounts aggregated (Something like 'Mint . com' for those that are familiar).  My guess was that signing in to the bank account and going to the page to view all these accounts triggered a refresh by the website to get the latest information from all Utilities companies, including Comcast - which would explain the text I got with a verification code. I tried this one more time by signing, out, signing back in and hitting refresh, and I got another text with a verification code.

However, this does not fully explain everything, as I have sometimes woken up at 5:00AM eastern time, to the same "New sign in Attempt" email. I thought to myself - maybe the aggregated utilities system does a daily refresh - but then I don't get these "Xfinity sign in" emails with any kind of reglarity or consistency. It could be two in 2 hours, then none for the next 2 days, then one everyday for 3 days, and then one a week after - somethat random.

Does anyone else who has experienced this issue have any other account or website that they have granted access to their Xfinity account in this manner? If so, it could at least partially explain what has been going on.

Side note, I won't even go into how (and how many times) I had to explain what 2-step verification is to Comcast employees from mulitple departments, including their security department. They had no idea what I was talking about.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 47 of 49

Your description oof sneding a code to a cell phone if this is not a computer that I have reviously used to sign in is incorrect.  EVERYTIME I reboot my computer or refresh by casche I receive a text ode for me to enter before login is complete and this is the only computer that I use everyday--it isn't being recognized and your id code is a royal pain.  How can I (or you) fix this problem?!?!?

Thank you

Posted by
New Poster

Message 48 of 49

I am not signing in with a new broiwser (I only use Firefox) or a new computer (I only work on the same computer everyday) but it always sends a code to my cell phone to type in before allowing me access to my E-mail.  I need this corrected, its a pain in the neck.  Your description that this will only happen if a new browser is used or a new computer is niot correct--it keeps happening on the same browser and the same computer.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 49 of 49

Jessie:  That is ridiculous; clearing cookies and cache is necessary or your computer slows down.  I should have the option of having this level 2 security and not have it forced on me.