members

online now

discussions

xfinity mobile bring your own phone

SOLVED
Posted by
Contributor

Message 51 of 72

@ ComcastKenF: That's true! Xfinity Mobile couldn't support even the phones sold by it. 

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 52 of 72
Is this the official position going foward and byod is dead? CS on twitter as recently as yesterday was posting its in the works but no time table.

https://mobile.twitter.com/xfinitymobile/status/895280161544966144

And plenty of other Verizon MVNOs allow BYOD with the disclaimer they wont support the devices.
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 53 of 72

I tried to get a new SIM / number for an unlocked iPhone purchased from Xfinity Mobile so the argument that it needs to be one of their phones is not correct. 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 54 of 72
Is this the official position going foward and byod is dead? CS on twitter as recently as yesterday was posting its in the works but no time table.

https://mobile.twitter.com/xfinitymobile/status/895280161544966144

And plenty of other Verizon MVNOs allow BYOD with the disclaimer they wont support the devices.

Yes, Skora. We do not support BYOD at this time but hope to do so in the future. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 55 of 72

Repeating what others have said...BYOD is the deal breaker for me.  Think about it, Xfinity...the phone buying model has changed. Free or discounted top phones with a contract to a wireless carrier are a thing of the past.  Your iPhone 4 or 5 dies, you have to buy a new one.  Period.  So here I am with two phones which are less than two years old with device payments for several more months.  I would love to switch to xfinity mobile, but I cannot afford to ditch relatively new phones which are not even paid off!  I would happily pay for an xfinity sim card (assuming it is a reasonable one time fee of course) to switch my verizon phones to xfinity.  But the monthly savings for the wireless service does not add up when you put the cost of new phones to replace relatively new, still to paid off phones into the mix.

BTW, the "we can't guarrantee it will work with our network" line is disingenuous.  The fact that Xfinity will not allow customers, particuarly from Verizon, to give it a try is simply about Xfinity's profits.  Of course.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 56 of 72

poodlemom4, I understand where you're coming from. We understand the excitement over our new product and the demand for BYOD. I am personally hoping we can get this out soon so that more customers can enjoy XFINITY mobile. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 57 of 72
But Comcast employee, what people are saying is that like me we just purchased new phones from our providers. Not going to deal it all again. I would switch in a heartbeat, however BYOP is not available. Love T-Mobile but you have great price. Price only works with BYOP.

I did just call, they said BYOP is in the works. Do not know is it is standard comment or what but I think they will in the future.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 58 of 72
I have an unlocked Moto X Pure edition. Works with all carriers. Will this BYOD Sim hack work with my device? Does phone Sim size matter?
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 59 of 72

Induction, We're unable to support phones that are purchased independently or through other carriers—we can’t guarantee that they’ll work, and we can’t provide technical support if they don’t. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 60 of 72
I'm pretty sure that the reason they don't support BYOD (yet) is they want to route as many calls as possible over their WiFi network to reduce what they pay to Verizon. WiFi calling works well for me on AT&T but the phone always tries to use the cellular network first before using WiFi. Comcast wants it the other way around and probably has some custom setting in the phones they are selling.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 61 of 72

Xfinity Mobile does not (yet) support WiFi calling.......

Posted by
Contributor

Message 62 of 72
That's it.I'm done.why no WiFi calling is because they can drain us dry with charged data because if WiFi calling, most would never need data included.that blows
Posted by
Contributor

Message 63 of 72

If you don't enable VOLTE, then calling does not use any data.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 64 of 72
I have Thierry internet,TV but I can't get mobile because they want me to buy theirs. This is stupid marketing, they can certainly enable my current phone, most of the phones they sell have a sim card. I'm soothing to Walmarts mobile, same price only need a new sim card. Greedy company is losing a big opportunity. When they figure it out it will be too late. That's wry every major carrier had a discounted company,straight talk, boost mobile etc. They see what's coming, it's called cheaper competition.
To big for their own good, pay attention remember AT&T,AOL Kodak?
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 65 of 72

cam30era wrote:

Where did you see that?  

Posted by
New Poster

Message 66 of 72

I would have to say that I would switch too, IF they add WiFi calling and if I can use my own phone. I am a Verizon customer. I have an S5. Does anyone know if this phone is compatible or not?

For the service:

How is the connection with cell towers?

Do you get any dropped calls?

How comparable is this service with Verizon service throughout the country, in terms of keeping a phone call connected and having clarity along with that.

Thank you. :--)

Posted by
Contributor

Message 67 of 72
"cam30era wrote:

Where did you see that?  "

See the 3rd post here, from Comcast employee > http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/No-WiFi-Calling-Texting-What-is-this-madness/td-p/293600...

Posted by
Contributor

Message 68 of 72

Hendrjon wrote:

I would have to say that I would switch too, IF they add WiFi calling and if I can use my own phone. I am a Verizon customer. I have an S5. Does anyone know if this phone is compatible or not?

For the service:

How is the connection with cell towers?

Do you get any dropped calls?

How comparable is this service with Verizon service throughout the country, in terms of keeping a phone call connected and having clarity along with that.

Thank you. :--)

Phones that work on Verizon network should also work OK on Xfinity Mobile. It's just that XM personnel do not want to tell people that yet. Proof: The XM SIM I got with the LG X-Power when I ordered my line has worked great with no problems in the LG V20 US996 I bought on Amazon.com and the $39.88 VZ Prepaid Moto E4 I bought at local Walmart store.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 69 of 72

As we have all read,  Xfinity cannot support phones not bought for them.  We all know that everyone will complain about lack of phone support on outside phones if/when this option is available.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 70 of 72

fpirelli wrote:

As we have all read,  Xfinity cannot support phones not bought for them.  We all know that everyone will complain about lack of phone support on outside phones if/when this option is available.

They can't effectively support phones that were bought from them either! 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 71 of 72

I just purchased two g8+ with xfinity, I have two tablets that I would like connected also is this possible?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 72 of 72

cherri713 wrote:

I have two tablets that I would like connected also is this possible?

No, not at this time.