members

online now

discussions

xfinity mobile bring your own phone

SOLVED
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 72

This looks like a great plan that I would definitely switch too, but unfortunately you cannot bring your own cell phone. You MUST buy one from Comcast.   Comcast will lose a lot of potential customers due to this fact. Heck even  el-cheapo TracFone lets customers bring their own smart phone, you just need to install the TracFone app.

1. Why does comcast not allow customer to bring their own phone?
2. When will bring-your-own-phone be available?
3. Since I just bought a new iPhone 6  I will not be buying a Comcast phone anytime soon,  but as soon the the bring-your-own-phone option is available, I will switch over to Comcast as my cell service provider.
71 REPLIES
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 2 of 72

I would likely switch if xfinity mobile let you bring your own phone. I hope they offer that option in the future.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 3 of 72

Xfinity Mobile won't tell you that you can bring your own phone.

I tested BYOD with my room mate iPhone.

You have to make sure that the iPhone you purchased is compatible with Verizon. Xfinity Mobile is a Verizon MVNO.

To know for sure just visit any MVNO like Pageplus, Total wireless. The website will ask you to enter the IMEI number of your phone and they will tell you if the phone is compatible or not with Verizon network.

If your phone is compatible, what I would suggest is to order an iPhone SE from Xfinity.

Once you receive the phone, you port your number to Xfinity. Then you request an unlock code for the phone you bought. You fully paid a phone you're entitled to get an unlock code.

Once you are notified that your phone is unlock, you just restore it in you computer and the phone gets unlocked.

Finally you put the iPhone SE for sale on eBay. Because the phone is brand new you're going to lose maybe $75-90.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 4 of 72

I can think of 3 reasons they want us to buy their phones:

1.  They are making money on the sale of the phones.

2.  They want to load it with their particular flavors of bloatware.

3.  They are just too lazy to test and make a list of compatible phones.

I doubt that there any true technical reasons that you cannot use your own device.  Sure, some phones might not work, but others certainly will.  For example, I have an unlocked Galaxy S7 (SM-G930U) that supports all US carriers and just about all current radio bands, GSM and LTE.  It supports 19 LTE bands including the measely 4 bands indicated for the xfinity mobile S7. I currently use it on Republic Wireless so I know it also supports wifi calling. if they are using that.  They can't tell me that this phone wouldn't work.  

I am currently paying $20/month for 1Gig of data on Republic.  I make heavy use of wifi and limit streaming, updates, etc. over cell so 1 gig is very achievable.  I would certainly give xfinity mobile a chance, but not if I have to buy a new phone.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 5 of 72
I agree with all the comments posted here. I am just finishing paying my iPhone 6S with AT&T and it's in perfect shape. I checked with Verizon and it is compatible to use on their network, so it should be fine with Xfinity Mobile.

Xfinity mobile won't be competitive till they allow users to bring their own devices. Once they do that I'm sure everyone will want to switch. Those prices are unbeatable.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 6 of 72
Hi TPX and xfinity mobile,
Topic 1: Should this work the same on android phones? Will the LG X Power be able to be used on Verizons network if i do change phones after BYOD materializes?

Topic 2: On sim swapping, how would that effect the auto connect to xfinity wifi? On the boyd phone, does this feature not exisit? On and the phone you sell, will it try to connect for the new owner and cause them problems if they are not on xfinity mobile?

Really want to pull the trigger on xfinity mobile, but not interested in the phone offerings at this time. Will be a sure thing if BYOD isnt vaporware.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 72

Posted by
Contributor

Message 8 of 72
Activation was easy. Everything is done on the Xfinity Mobile website.

You have the choice to bring your number or get a new one.

Then the activation (new number creation or number porting) will take less than a minute.

Once you see the message that the activation was successfull, you put the Sim card you received in your new Xfinity Mobile phone.

In my case it was an iPhone SE.

The phone was activated quickly on WiFi. Then I checked all the functions: visual voicemail, imessage, placed and received a phone call, internet. Once everything worked I just put the SIM in my Sim Free iPhone7.

Everything is working great. It's been a week. Great service, highly recommended.

I requested the unlock code for the iPhone SE. As soon as I have it, I will unlock the phone and then sell it.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 72

Thanks 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 10 of 72
1- Yes

2- Normally Sim and IMEI are not linked together. Verizon is not like Sprint. Sprint ties together the SIM id and the IMEI. Verizon no.

Right now when I launch the Xfinity mobile app, under device I do not see my iphone SE.

Right now the main goal for Xfinity is to gain customers. They made a big error not launching the service including BYOD. It is what I said to their Marketing VP.

So far I'm amazed by the quality of the service. I ditched Verizon. I had to pay $80 + taxes/ fees. Now $45 + taxes/fees.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 11 of 72
1- LG X power is unlocked. So you will be able to ise on Verizon if you decide to switch network

2- Xfinity wifi auto connect is available only if you have your Comcast modem with the hotspot functionnalty enabled. This feature is off on mine.

You control the wifi on your phone. When you turn on wifi if there is a comcast hotspot the phone will connect. To disable this you just have to click on the comcast hostspit ssid a disable auto connect.

The person who will buy my phone won't have to worry about this. If the person use a Verizon Sim, the phone won't connevt to the xfinity hotspot.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 12 of 72

I have TWO lines which I would gladly switch over to Xfinity IF they allowed us to bring our phones!!! AGGGGH

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 13 of 72

Forcing customers to buy a smartphone from Comcast is a terrible mistake on their part. They have already dampened customer interest!

Each year, many retailers offer a promo in conjunction with Verizon Wireless, whereby a new model smartphone is obtainable at an effective cost of $0.00 to the customer when coupled with a two year customer committment. This is a win/win situation for the carrier who retains a locked in customer on the Plan where it makes most of its money. The customer gets a new smartphone effectively free, in exchange for continuing on an existing plan. Comcast will lose these customers. 

Another hole in the Comcast Plans is that they are not able to accomdate a customer with a plan for an existing or new Tablet! So the customer will have to keep the existing carrier plan and now pay a higher monthly price for the tablet data plan.

Comcast shot itself in the foot on two levels here. Too bad!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 14 of 72

Be careful and check you iPhone 7 model number (on the back of the device).

AT&T iPhone has normaly a A1778 model number. If your phone is an A1778, the phone will be compatible with the LTE BUT won't be compatible with the 3G CDMA.

To be compatible with the 3G CDMA, your phone should be a A1660 model. Some iPhone 7/7 Plus bought at BestBuy are A1660 models. BUT the majority of AT&T iPhone 7/7plus are A1778 so not compatible with 3G CDMA.

To be 100% sure check your iPhone 7/7Plus model number.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 15 of 72
Get your act together, Comcast. Have one of your web developers add a SIM card option to the list of devices, set up the process to ship out SIM cards without phones (it's easy, just don't send the phone), and keep the same activation process on your website.

It would take close to zero effort and bring in many more customers, including myself.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 16 of 72

I would switch right this minute if you could BYOD. I have 4 paid for iphone 6's.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 17 of 72

Adding to this thread in the hope that Xfinity are listening. 

Dear Xfinity, you can have my 3 lines (and probably a 4th very soon) the day you allow BYOD - this is essential. I have 2 that I own outright and one that is purchased through Apple's upgrade program. I would love to give you my money, but at the moment you're making it really hard for me to hand it over. 

Let me know as soon as it's available. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 18 of 72

Just check the 4 iPhones 6S you have. Go to Page Plus and check if they are compatible with CDMA and 4G LTE.

If they are, just purchase 4 LG X Power. Once the SIMs are activated with your numbers ported, just sell those LG X Power on eBay.

Easy

Posted by
New Poster

Message 19 of 72

Thanks for your feedback, Tpx_Follower!

I remember you mentioned previously that it is best to buy iPhoneSE from Comcast if visual voicemail is needed. Is it still the case or I can get LG X Power if I need to "bring my own" iPhone 6S?

By the way, by visual voicemail, do you mean voicemail transcripts?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 20 of 72
I have done everything as you explained but I still can't get the data to work on my phone. I've tried an iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and an iPhone 7 from Verizon and all have the same result......Voice works but no Data.. just keeps telling me that I ave no data and to either activate the phone or connect to wifi. Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance!
Posted by
New Poster

Message 21 of 72
Forgot to mention that I received the LG phone from xfinity, activated and the swapped the SIM card.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 22 of 72
Figured it out. All you need to do is connect to WiFi and update your carrier settings.

Settings>>General>>About

At this point it should automatically try to update your Carrier Settings.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 23 of 72

My room mate did the activation on the iPhone SE to make sure to get visual voicemail and voicemail transcript.

I do not know if you purchased the LG X power if you will be able to get this feature activated or not.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 24 of 72

So you activated the line on the LG X Power, then you swapped the SIM into an iPhone correct?

Yes you did the right thing, carrier update is needed.

Question for you, were you able to access visual voicemail on the iPhone even if you activated the line on the LG X Power?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 25 of 72

WHATS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE, comcast disloyalty on thier part. we pay thousands for services and equipment, and i even have an unlocked s8 plus that flat out is compatible with verizon that comcast uses, and yet, excuses to buy thier devices just to get lesser data charges. this wont last. unless they allow BYOP that works with comcast mobile. i see it as a failure down the line. if they do BYOP down the line, im assured the rates will double.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 26 of 72

Xfinity Mobile made an error not launching a BYOD option at launch. It is what it is. If you already have a Galaxy Samsung S8, why don't you order the LG X Power? Then you port your number and you swap the SIM to your device? Then you just sell the X Power on eBay or Craigslist? Xfinity Mobile will have to stay really competitive in term of price. The MVNO business is really cut throats.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 27 of 72
Posted by
New Poster

Message 28 of 72

It really is a shame! I just talked to them and confirmed that they won't officially accept a BYOD from Verizon. I told them I'll check again in a year and that this is a big mistake. I'm actually more in favor of spending more money with Verizon than less with Xfnity so they can get it through their brains that they are not winning customers with their 2004-era approach to linking phones and service.

Even worse- when I started the online chat session, an auto message popped up saying they are DELAYED in shipping devices due to interest. Which means, even if you are stupid enough to buy your device from Comcast, you can't start service because they can't ship it to you yet... and you can't use your own either!!!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 29 of 72

Just stop complaining for a minute

Buy a LG X Power, when you get the phone/sim port your number.

Swap SIM in our Verizon phone

Sell the LG X Power on Ebay.

Easy

Posted by
Contributor

Message 30 of 72

im no dummy. spent 900 on s8 plus, and what fool will buy extra phone to get service

Posted by
New Poster

Message 31 of 72

"and what fool will buy extra phone to get service"

The kind of fool that would like to save money! It would cost me $47 more a month to upgrade my two line Verizon plan to the unlimited plan. It would cost me $264 plus tax to buy two Comcast LGs and swap the Sims. Even if I couldn't sell the LGs, I would recoup my costs in about 6 months. Or, keep the LGs and have a back up / travel phone and keep my S8+ safe in the hotel.

Fortunately, I've been allowed to work from home lately so I don't need the unlimited today. My biggest concern is future reliability and functionality. 

I also chatted with Comcast support and the rep indicated that BYOD was in the works. Take it for what it's worth but I'm going to hold out for now.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 32 of 72

APPARENTLY you dont own a 900 phone, therefore, until you gave then i can say IM NO FOOL. PERIOD.

msandel wrote:

"and what fool will buy extra phone to get service"

The kind of fool that would like to save money! It would cost me $47 more a month to upgrade my two line Verizon plan to the unlimited plan. It would cost me $264 plus tax to buy two Comcast LGs and swap the Sims. Even if I couldn't sell the LGs, I would recoup my costs in about 6 months. Or, keep the LGs and have a back up / travel phone and keep my S8+ safe in the hotel.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 33 of 72

bayfisher1958 wrote:

APPARENTLY you dont own a 900 phone, therefore, until you gave then i can say IM NO FOOL. PERIOD.

I had a hard time deciphering your statement. I do own a Samsung Galaxy S8+ purchased outright for Verizon service. So, I understand your concerns. But isn't spending more money for the same unlimited phone service indeed foolish? 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 34 of 72
No I was not able to access visual Voicemail. Also cannot use the voicemail at all, even calling in. I connect to voicemail but no response when I enter numbers on the keypad. It will ask if I am still there a couple times then hangs up on me.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 35 of 72
Not foolish at all... xfinity does not charge an access fee either so you are saving the additional cost that Verizon charges on top of the data you are purchasing...If you are happy with that then I would stay with Verizon if I were you, I am going to try Xfinity because I plan on saving long term, not just thinking of cost to switch
Posted by
Contributor

Message 36 of 72

I DONT HAVE VERIZON NOR COMCAST MOBILE UNTIL THE ALLOW BYOP. S8 PLUS COMPATIBLE, AND UNLOCKED, ANY CARRIER. BUT COMCAST.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 37 of 72

My guess is they are waiting on the $45 promo to expire, July 31st (?), before rolling out the BYOD. Good bussiness plan for them but bad for me. I'm not willing to up my comcast service cost to save on my phone plan.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 38 of 72
I see your point.they will double it then do byop .I see it coming.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 39 of 72

hey, so theres this BOGO deal from Samsung for the S8/S8+.(unlocked, +100 for S8+)

Anyone see any drawbacks to implementing this plan using said devices?

....Buying/finance 2 x powers and once activated on xfinity, take sims from x power and place into S8/S8+?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 40 of 72
I can't wait. Until that happens
Posted by
New Poster

Message 41 of 72
Posted by
New Poster

Message 42 of 72

Just adding my voice as well. Hopefully, Comcast will start listening.. 

If i hadn't JUST bought new phones i would already be switched over.. 

Just waiting for comcast to allow us to bring our own devices.. that's it.. Then i'm in...

**Comcast, seriously, you can have my money as soon as you let me bring my own phone.**

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 43 of 72
They can't seem to handle the issues with their own limited phone options. I can't even imagine what kind of mess it would be if they were allowing BYOD at this point. It's already almost impossible to get any kind of support bc of long wait times, and they have no resolutions for several issues. I realistically don't see them offering BYOD anytime in the near future, unfortunately.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 44 of 72

Came here to say same. I've only had my current phone for a year and a half, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and I don't want to spend an additional $500+ to by a new similarly-featured phone. I love the idea of halving my cell bill and the zero line fee. But, if I buy a new phone I don't need, it would take at least 4 years on xfinity wireless just break even. Perhaps I'll check back when my current phone goes kaput. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 45 of 72
Here one things I want to helps out.

Since you can't bring your own phone. I suggest get the cheapest one they have (LG X power) and put it on a payment plan. Once you got the phone, remove the SIM card and put it in your own phone and sell the LG X power on eBay and recovery some of your money back.

But I want go pin point one thing if you going to use the method. Xfinity mobile sim card will only work on Verizon phone or factory unlock iphone 6 or greater, it will not work on any other phone.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 46 of 72

Get the X-Charge, just $2 more a month and you won't have the voicemail problem that the X-Power is infamous for. I love my XM LG X-Power but wouldn't recommend it. The voicemail problem followed the XM SIM to the LG V20 US966 I bought on Amazon some time later. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 47 of 72

Was seriously looking into it today.  I have the iPhone6s, the same phone that they sell, but they don't allow BYOD, so instead of switching, I'm going to stay put with Ting.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 48 of 72
Love my Microsoft Lumia 640xl would love to use xfinity mobile but will never switch unless they offer byod or offer a selection of top end Windows Phones
Posted by
New Poster

Message 49 of 72
I'm on board. As soon as BYOP is available I will sign up for all three of my family phones but I absolutely REFUSE to buy three new phones from them. The customer service at Xfinity is among the worst ever and I have been battling them over my internet service for years. Out of principle I will not give them one more penny than I have to.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 50 of 72
Solution

Hello all, 

We're unable to support phones that are purchased independently or through other carriers—we can’t guarantee that they’ll work, and we can’t provide technical support if they don’t. The phones that are available through XFINITY Mobile were selected to work optimally with our network, so that we can provide you with the best possible XFINITY Mobile experience.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon