Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

unlock policy

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

unlock policy

Xfinity mobile declined my unlock request with the reason "We were unable to process your request to unlock the following devices(s): xxxxxxxxxxx because the device(s) are not active on your Xfinity Mobile account."

Per the unlock requirements published on your website https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/115004305128/am-i-eligible-to-unlock-my-phone/

• The phone must be an Xfinity Mobile device.  (I ordered from Xfinity Mobile online directly)
  • The phone must not be reported lost, stolen, or involved with fraudulent activity. (This phone is in my possession)
  • The phone must be paid in full prior to requesting the device unlock. If your device is on a Device Payment Plan, it is ineligible for unlocking. (Xfinity Mobile online order paid in FULL)
  • The phone cannot be active on another Xfinity Mobile customer’s account.  (This phone has NEVER EVER been on other account)
  • You must have completed and paid for at least one full billing cycle of Xfinity Mobile service following the purchase of a device. (Phone purchased on March 23rd, my last billing cycle ends on April 5th, and autopay charged on April 26th )
  • Your Xfinity Mobile account must be in good standing. One exception is if you are an active member of the military—all active-duty military personnel are eligible to have their phones unlocked.  (My account is ALWAYS paid in full and on time)

I did not see the decline reason is listed within the unlock policy

Accepted Solution

Re: unlock policy

mvenanzi wrote: Then how does a phone owner determine which carrier a phone is branded to?

Every phone has an IMEI number, we can use that number to see what carrier the phone is branded to. That's how we find out if the phone can be unlocked with us or if it has to go through someone else. The OP should have been given this information when the found out the phone was not our equipment. If for any reason this information was not given, please reach back out to me here and I can assist you with finding out your carrier. 

View answer in context
Bronze Problem Solver

It sounds like you hit a situation they didn't think of and they will probably update the published policy

Frequent Visitor

whatever, but we should play by rules (published and commonly accepted), right, xfinity mobile?

Bronze Problem Solver

When I bought my phone the "paid in full" rule didn't exsist

Frequent Visitor

I guess their point is that my phone is NOT used on my current service now

Bronze Problem Solver

Sure sounds like it. They most likely never thought someone would buy a phone from them and not activate it.

Can you tell me why you haven't?

Frequent Visitor

I did activate, I just gave it to mom as gift who took it out of the States.

Bronze Problem Solver

If it still has the xf sim card installed then I am confused, I thought they meant it was not activated. A phone being turned off is not on the network either. I think something else is going on with your account.

Frequent Visitor

NO I pulled the sim out from that phone

I just activated the phone with the sim (line service), now the that sim is in another phone.

Bronze Problem Solver

Was another sim installed in it?

Frequent Visitor

the phone I want to unlock can not take other sim card since it is locked

Bronze Problem Solver

I'm not sure, but I think for the unlock process to work, it has to be on the network its locked to.

Frequent Visitor

it is reasonable, but it has to be explicitly published

Contributor

Could it be XM tires the device to the SIM phone number rather than IMEI and thus can't unlock since current IMEI and SIM info don't match.?

It does seem if you could speek directly to a technical support person this could be solved easily. What brand of phone is it?

Frequent Visitor

I explicitly gave the IMEI

it is an iPhone

How to directly speak to a technical support person

thanks

Official Employee

Hi jackkyxu, I can assist you with your questions and concerns regarding unlocking your device. You wrote "The phone must be an Xfinity Mobile device.  (I ordered from Xfinity Mobile online directly)". This statement may be true but that does not mean the phone is Comcast/Verizon branded equipment. The phone has to be unlocked by the original carrier, so if the phone is branded by AT&T then you would have to request the unlock pin from their company. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

@ComcastAmir wrote:

Hi jackkyxu, I can assist you with your questions and concerns regarding unlocking your device. You wrote "The phone must be an Xfinity Mobile device.  (I ordered from Xfinity Mobile online directly)". This statement may be true but that does not mean the phone is Comcast/Verizon branded equipment. The phone has to be unlocked by the original carrier, so if the phone is branded by AT&T then you would have to request the unlock pin from their company. 

Well I'm confused! Are you saying Xfi sells phones branded by other carriers???

Official Employee

mvenanzi wrote: Well I'm confused! Are you saying Xfi sells phones branded by other carriers???

It is possible that another carriers equipment was mixed in with our equipment when a shipment from Apple went out. The most common way that this can happen is returning or exchanging the phone for any reason, the replacement equipment is not guaranteed to be Xfinity branded but they are guaranteed to be compatible with our network. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Bronze Problem Solver

@ComcastAmir wrote:

mvenanzi wrote: Well I'm confused! Are you saying Xfi sells phones branded by other carriers???

It is possible that another carriers equipment was mixed in with our equipment when a shipment from Apple went out. The most common way that this can happen is returning or exchanging the phone for any reason, the replacement equipment is not guaranteed to be Xfinity branded but they are guaranteed to be compatible with our network. 

Then how does a phone owner determine which carrier a phone is branded to?

Official Employee

mvenanzi wrote: Then how does a phone owner determine which carrier a phone is branded to?

Every phone has an IMEI number, we can use that number to see what carrier the phone is branded to. That's how we find out if the phone can be unlocked with us or if it has to go through someone else. The OP should have been given this information when the found out the phone was not our equipment. If for any reason this information was not given, please reach back out to me here and I can assist you with finding out your carrier. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I explicitly provided the IMEI, and since I am not a Apple Insider, how can I, as a consumer, determine what the iphone I purchased from directly Xfinity Mobile is branded with ?

(I wish I am the FCC commissioner who can have a full list of all the carriers so I can call them one by one and every single carrier would love to answer my quesions as non-account-holder )

BTW, my decline email does NOT say anything about phone not branded with XM, the unlock team just does not bother to start process. (If they really tried to unlock an Non-XM IMEI, they should have said something about non-XM IMEI stufff)

ALSO, if XM shipped to me an NON-XM branded iphone while I am ordering from XM online store directly, I think it is a mistake committed by XM who should take full responsibility to correct it.

ONCE again, I emphasize here the unlock team used this specific EXCUSE (as phone not currently active on the accont) to decline my request, which was beyond the unlock request requirement listed on the website (I already have taken the screen shot, Thanks)

PS; as a legitimate iPhone partner, XM could simply run a GSX report to know  which branded equipment you are selling for your freindly competitor

Bronze Problem Solver

@jackkyxu wrote:

I explicitly provided the IMEI, and since I am not a Apple Insider, how can I, as a consumer, determine what the iphone I purchased from directly Xfinity Mobile is branded with ?

(I wish I am the FCC commissioner who can have a full list of all the carriers so I can call them one by one and every single carrier would love to answer my quesions as non-account-holder )

BTW, my decline email does NOT say anything about phone not branded with XM, the unlock team just does not bother to start process. (If they really tried to unlock an Non-XM IMEI, they should have said something about non-XM IMEI stufff)

ALSO, if XM shipped to me an NON-XM branded iphone while I am ordering from XM online store directly, I think it is a mistake committed by XM who should take full responsibility to correct it.

ONCE again, I emphasize here the unlock team used this specific EXCUSE (as phone not currently active on the accont) to decline my request, which was beyond the unlock request requirement listed on the website (I already have taken the screen shot, Thanks)

PS; as a legitimate iPhone partner, XM could simply run a GSX report to know  which branded equipment you are selling for your freindly competitor

I agree . . . I don't believe your phone is branded by another company. You can check it yourself here: http://www.imei.info/

Frequent Visitor

thank for the imei check info

I even know the GSX report, but I just want to revel the deep water

using the post to upload XM unlock requirement  since I am afraid they are going to update it to cover the A_______S

xm.jpg
Frequent Visitor

unlock policy continued here

sorry I accidently closed  my post here https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/unlock-policy/td-p/3084493

I am still waiting for an answer from XM employee since    said he could assist on this   (XM is for Xfinity Mobile thereon)

the abstract of the whole story is 

• Xm used some creative EXCUSE (not listed within their unlock request policy)  to decline my unlock request
  •   asserted that it could be that XM has sold me a iPhone which was not XM-branded, even it is coming from a direct XM online order 
  • People are asking how we can know which carrier the equipment we bought from XM is branded with
  • I am waiting   's reple either in post or in private message to my unlock issue

I uploaded the unlock policy screenshot here

I am listing my eligibility here below

• The phone must be an Xfinity Mobile device.  (I ordered from Xfinity Mobile online directly)
  • The phone must not be reported lost, stolen, or involved with fraudulent activity. (This phone is in my possession)
  • The phone must be paid in full prior to requesting the device unlock. If your device is on a Device Payment Plan, it is ineligible for unlocking. (Xfinity Mobile online order paid in FULL)
  • The phone cannot be active on another Xfinity Mobile customer’s account.  (This phone has NEVER EVER been on other account)
  • You must have completed and paid for at least one full billing cycle of Xfinity Mobile service following the purchase of a device. (Phone purchased on March 23rd, my last billing cycle ends on April 5th, and autopay charged on April 26th )
  • Your Xfinity Mobile account must be in good standing. One exception is if you are an active member of the military—all active-duty military personnel are eligible to have their phones unlocked.  (My account is ALWAYS paid in full and on time)

I am willing to send my unlock related information to  , such as account #, Service address, Name, Last bill amount, last 4 of credit card on profile, IMEI.

i am waiting for an answer

xm.jpg
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: unlock policy continued here

What did the online IMEI test say for branding?

I did mine and it reported comcast

Frequent Visitor

@mvenanzi wrote:

What did the online IMEI test say for branding?

I did mine and it reported comcast

have not  tried, I can run a GSX report this evening

PS the imei.info always shows this "More details are currently not available." for me

Frequent Visitor

Update

A FCC complaint returns a phone call from the corporate to me within 24 hours.

They realize that my situation is a loophole in their "development process", and they would take care of this situation now and in the future.

Official Employee

Hello jackkyxu, I replied to your PM please reach back out to me there. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Update

A FCC complaint returns a phone call from the corporate to me within 24 hours.

They realize that my situation is a loophole in their "development process", and they would take care of this situation now and in the future.

New Poster

I am in the same boat except I have 2 phones they say they cant unlock for the same exact reasons
New Poster

Please let me know if you ever get a solution
Official Employee

Thepook84 wrote: I am in the same boat except I have 2 phones they say they cant unlock for the same exact reasons

I am happy to assist you with getting your phones unlocked, please send me a private message with your full name, street address, phone number, and account number. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

Need to unlock for internationa use i already have more than a week trying to unlock my device

Official Employee

aftab_89 wrote: Need to unlock for internationa use i already have more than a week trying to unlock my device

How to request for your phone to be unlocked

1. Find out if you're eligible to unlock your device.
  2. Complete an email with the information below and return it to: xfinitymobile_unlocks@comcast.com.

Subject: Xfinity Mobile device unlock request ticket # XXXXXX
    • Name on account
    • Account number
    • Service address
    • Last paid Xfinity Mobile bill amount
    • Last 4 digits of credit card used on Xfinity Mobile account
    • Are the device(s) paid off? (Y/N)
    • Mobile phone number(s)
    • IMEI(s) requesting to be unlocked
    • Reason

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

you guys alway have an issue with the unlocks i filled out everything and no answer this actually the worse desicion y ever made activating services with xfinity mobile

Official Employee

aftab_89 wrote: you guys alway have an issue with the unlocks i filled out everything and no answer this actually the worse desicion y ever made activating services with xfinity mobile

I can look into the status of your unlock request, please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me".

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation