Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

iPhone 7 plus no data connection available during call

Frequent Visitor

iPhone 7 plus no data connection available during call

Hi
Myself and my wife have iPhone 7 plus (BYOD) everything was working perfectly fine. Both phones enabled LTE for Voice and Data.
No error during enabling VoLTE
Issue is,
Before I tried to call my wife I see LTE displayed (we are sure both our phones are in LTE) and I called my wife and call quality was good and no complaint. During our phone conversation I was checking news on browser I got "no data connection during call" I see status bar LTE is gone(didn't drive and didn't move for the whole test) both have good LTE signal.

So question is we should be able browse data during VoLTE call? Or how do I know call is going thru VoLTE. At the end of our call got LTE back and Data working. Not sure even VoLTE successfully activated for me and wife.

Any expertise advise/help

Thanks
E5258D13-D573-4028-BA90-9DF646363EE1.jpeg
New Poster

Re: iPhone 7 plus no data connection available during call

I have this exact same issue. If I change my cellular settings and reboot my phone, I can use both. However, I do not receive any regular SMS text messages.

On my iPhone, Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data Options -> Enable LTE and set it for “Data Only” gets me where you are.

on my iPhone, Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data Options -> Enable LTE and set it for “Voice & Data” allows me to use both, but I do not recieve any non-iMessage text messages until I change it to Data Only and reboot my phone.

Frequent Visitor

Hi  ,

I don't have iMessage/text message issue.

My only issue when VoLTE is enabled for both voice & data (Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data Options -> Enable LTE and set it for “Voice & Data”) and both end of the call (ie myself & my wife's) has VoLTE support and signal shows LTE, why it didn't allow me to browse internet when I'm in call. How do i make sure VoLTE is working?

Thanks

Contributor

Welcome to Xfinity Mobile 

Problem Solver

mgjg, does it always do this or does it just sometimes refuse a data connection depending upon the call? If it's using VoLTE, you should continue to see LTE displayed at the top of the screen during the call. If the LTE connection doesn't have enough bandwidth, it can change over to a cellular call and cause what you are seeing. But it definitely shouldn't be doing that every time.
Frequent Visitor

Hi Mike,

thanks for your response and not sure always. I didn't verify every single time.

I can verify only when I make with my wife (because only our phones are VoLTE enabled on both end and provider is XM. not sure other friends calls).

I'll check. Is there anyway to tell voice calls are going thru VoLTE than regular one?

Thanks

mgjg

Problem Solver

mgjg,

Didn't you say that LTE disappeared from the status bar once you were in a call? That would indicate that your phone isn't using VoLTE.

Note that both parties don't need to be VoLTE capable for your phone to use VoLTE. I can call a landline and my phone still uses VoLTE and I can use data while on that call. However, in order to get the higher voice quality of VoLTE then both parties do have to use VoLTE (and interoperable VoLTE at that).

If your phone status bar does show LTE during a call then you should be able to do a test with your wife's phone and notice the higher voice quality if you both have Voice & Data enabled for LTE. Then set her phone to Data only, make another call, and verify that the voice quality isn't as good.

Official Employee

Hi All, 

If you're still having issues accessing VoLTE, let me know so I can make sure it's provisioned on our end for your line. Just send me a private message with your full name and residential account related phone number. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

Thanks ComcastKenF so for I'm able to browse when I'm on call. It seems that VoLTE is working when signal is on LTE.

Thanks for provisioning.

MGJG