members

online now

discussions

Xfinity Mobile: Equifax Credit Check

ANSWERED
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Xfinity Mobile: Equifax Credit Check

I've been a Comcast customer for about 20 years, using a triple-bundled package for the past 5 years or so. I'm generally satisfied with the service. Otherwise, I would not be using it. I'm still considering adding Xfinity Mobile. I visited a service center and was told that to sign up for Xfinity Mobile, an Equifax credit check would be required. Never before has that happened whenever I added services. That requirement makes absolutely no sense to me. I need an explanation of that requirement.

Accepted Solution

Re: Xfinity Mobile: Equifax Credit Check

I understand your concern. I don't know the direct reason for XFINITY Mobile (you can call XFINITY Mobile directly to get that answer), but I believe it falls under the postpaid/prepaid account concept at cellphone carriers. If you go to any cell phone carrier these days, they offer post paid and prepaid options. Prepaid plans don't require credit checks and as such, the cost of service is due up front before it's provided.

On the other hand, Post paid accounts (the only option at XFINITY Mobile at this time), allows you to pay for your service after the billing cycle closes one month out. Credit checks are required on post paid accounts regardless of the carrier. 

Hope that helps shed some light. 

KenF

View answer in context
Official Employee

VitaminE, For some XFINITY Internet customers who are interested in signing up for XFINITY Mobile, we may need to learn a little more about you by running your credit. We'll always ask your permission first. If we need to gather this info, you'll be prompted at checkout to perform a credit check. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Regular Contributor

ComcastKenF wrote:

VitaminE, For some XFINITY Internet customers who are interested in signing up for XFINITY Mobile, we may need to learn a little more about you by running your credit. We'll always ask your permission first. If we need to gather this info, you'll be prompted at checkout to perform a credit check. 

Hopefully, I can sign up and purchase a phone in person at a service center. I still need to know why Comcast  may need to learn a little more about me. More what? Comcast did not need to do that when I added services in the past. Something is not being disclosed here.

Official Employee

The credit check helps us determine the amount of lines you qualify for (customers can qualify from 1-5 lines) which also helps set the financing limit (the total value amount of  phones you can finance on your account) at any given time. 

KenF

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

ComcastKenF wrote:

The credit check helps us determine the amount of lines you qualify for (customers can qualify from 1-5 lines) which also helps set the financing limit (the total value amount of a phones you can finance on your account) at any given time. 

KenF

I only want one line, and I will pay for the phone up front.

Official Employee

ComcastKenF wrote:

The credit check helps us determine the amount of lines you qualify for (customers can qualify from 1-5 lines) which also helps set the financing limit (the total value amount of a phones you can finance on your account) at any given time. 

KenF

Regardless, a credit check may still be required. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

ComcastKenF wrote:
ComcastKenF wrote:

KenF

Regardless, a credit check may still be required. 

ComcastKenF,

I appreciate your response, but that is a very serious matter. There is simply no rationale for a credit check under these conditions. I have nothing to hide, but having a "hard" credit check requires a sensible rationale, and that is not being provided by Comcast.

Official Employee

I understand your concern. I don't know the direct reason for XFINITY Mobile (you can call XFINITY Mobile directly to get that answer), but I believe it falls under the postpaid/prepaid account concept at cellphone carriers. If you go to any cell phone carrier these days, they offer post paid and prepaid options. Prepaid plans don't require credit checks and as such, the cost of service is due up front before it's provided.

On the other hand, Post paid accounts (the only option at XFINITY Mobile at this time), allows you to pay for your service after the billing cycle closes one month out. Credit checks are required on post paid accounts regardless of the carrier. 

Hope that helps shed some light. 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

VitaminE, glad you were able to get the credit check done and activate service. Please post again if you need anything else. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.