Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots not working after Android 8.0 update on Samsung Galaxy S8?

Regular Visitor

XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots not working after Android 8.0 update on Samsung Galaxy S8?

Good afternoon,

It's been a couple weeks since Xfinity wireless rolled out 8.0 to my Samsung Galaxy S8. I downloaded it overnight that night and installed it the next day. After that upgrade, the phone lost its ability to connect to xfinitywifi and XFINITY hotspots. It gets stuck on "connecting" and if you sit and watch it long enough, it'll show the following error: "failed to obtain IP address". I did quite a bit of research on what could be causing it and even spent some time on the phone with Comcast support and they advised me to do many of the things I'd tried before, such as performing a network reset. In the end they just connected me to Samsung and told me that I would be best served by taking it directly to them at their kiosk in Best Buy. I decided against that and just waited for a hotfix to come through. Today I decided to head down to a brick and mortar Xfinity store to see if I could get to the bottom of this and ask if it was a known issue. After about an hour of hand-wringing and walking back through the troubleshooting steps I'd already done, the employee told me that since I hadn't purchased insurance I was on the hook for a new phone. Excuse me, what? This is a last-ditch effort before I just trade this phone in to Samsung and get a different one since apparently Xfinity's trade-in program gives you peanuts.

tl;dr: if you're still reading, thank you. Here's what I know and what I don't know

1) After Android 8.0 update, connecting to xfinitywifi and XFINITY hotspots does not work

2) Connecting to any other kind of WiFi works just fine. Whether it's my Wireless APs in the office, Chick-Fil-A WiFi (or anything that requires you to connect to a page, click a box, and accept terms)

3) Core functionality of the phone is otherwise unaffected. Phone calls, texts, internet browsing, all of that is fine.

4) I tried any troubleshooting that I could find just short of hard resetting the phone, until...

5) While in the store, we also tried performing a hard reset on the phone, which did not resolve the issue

Has anyone else run into this issue? Is my only option REALLY to buy a different phone for something that is a core feature of the service and is broke because of a software update that I didn't have any control over?

Thanks in advance.

Official Employee

Re: XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots not working after Android 8.0 update on Samsung Galaxy S8?

bschmalzer, thanks for posting. Let's take a closer look at your autoconnect issues. 

Please provide me with the following in private message: 

1. Device OEM: Apple/Samsung/LG? I know you said Samsung. Thanks! 

2. Device WiFi MAC

3. Issue specific to XFINITY or xfinitywifi or Home WiFi?

4. Issue noticed in multiple locations or single location?

5. Device was connecting to XFINITY/xfinitywifi earlier without any issues? If yes, when is the start date/time for the issue?

6. Date/Time when the issue seen? Exact time not required.

7. Location where the issue occurred?

8. Any other WiFi Connection Management applications installed in the phone from Google Play Store or App Store?

9. If it is Android Phone- “Auto-Connect to XFINITY” is ON or OFF?

Thanks, 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots not working after Android 8.0 update on Samsung Galaxy S8?

I have been having the same problem. I used to use an Xfinity hotspot at work every day with my S7 & all the sudden it stopped connecting. It will try, but say "Failed to obtain IP address." I did have an Android update at some point within the last few weeks but I don't think it happened right after that. Our office has made some changes with their internet configuration but I have no idea if that would affect it. I'm trying to do a chat with a rep. but they seem pretty clueless. 

It's frustrating because I used it so much for work, now I'm just using up my data from Verizon & paying for more. 

New Poster

I'll provide my answers if that helps.

1. Device OEM: Apple/Samsung/LG? Samsung S7

2. Device WiFi MAC  Wifi

3. Issue specific to XFINITY or xfinitywifi or Home WiFi?  xfinitywifi hotspot only

4. Issue noticed in multiple locations or single location?  single location so far

5. Device was connecting to XFINITY/xfinitywifi earlier without any issues? If yes, when is the start date/time for the issue?  Yes, it used to connect with no issues. Since around 5/10 last week

6. Date/Time when the issue seen? Exact time not required.  Since 5/10

7. Location where the issue occurred?  Around Marriottsville, Maryland

8. Any other WiFi Connection Management applications installed in the phone from Google Play Store or App Store?  Not that I know of

9. If it is Android Phone- “Auto-Connect to XFINITY” is ON or OFF?  On

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation