discussions

XFINITY Mobile

Highlighted
Posted by
Administrator

Message 1 of 42

2017apr05-press-xfinity-mobile-logo.jpg

**UPDATE 07/11/17**:

Effective today, July 11, the XFINITY Mobile Protection Plan is now open for enrollment. When a customer purchases a new Android or Apple device through XFINITY Mobile, they can enroll in the plan to protect their device(s) against accidental damage, hardware issues, loss and theft.

Please note that the XFINITY Mobile Protection Plan will typically be made available to customers only upon purchase. However, from now until August 11, XFINITY Mobile customers who purchased their devices prior to launch of the Protection Plan will also be able to enroll.

Mobile.PNG

As of May 16, we’re beginning the introduction of our new XFINITY Mobile service to our XFINITY Internet customers.

XFINITY Mobile is a new wireless service designed for the way people use their phones today, with the Internet and data at the center of the experience.

XFINITY Mobile combines America’s largest, most reliable 4G LTE network along with Comcast’s 16 million WiFi hotspots to provide customers with a better wireless experience, for less money, on today’s most popular devices.

XFINITY Mobile is available as part of our XFINITY Internet service and includes:

• Up to five lines of service with no line access fees
  • Unlimited nationwide talk and text
  • 100MB of 4G LTE data per month – shared across all lines
  • Data options that are simple and affordable, allowing customers to pay By the Gig or for Unlimited data on each of their lines:
    • By the Gig– $12 per GB of 4G LTE data is shared across all lines on an account each month.
    • Unlimited – The ability to consume all the 4G LTE data you want for one set price of $45 per month (limited time offer); regular price is $65 per month.

To sign up for the service and learn more about the value that XFINITY Mobile offers, customers can now visit xfinitymobile.com or call 1-888-936-4968    . XFINITY Mobile will also be available at our XFINITY Stores soon.

If you have any comments, questions, or concerns about this service please post in the XFINITY Mobile board.

All updates will be posted here. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
41 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 42
Posted by
New Poster

Message 3 of 42

buyer beware, delays in getting devices shipped out, phones not configured properly, and horrible tech support in getting problems solved. stay with current provider until kinks worked out. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 4 of 42

Also no WiFi Calling or Texting on Galaxy S8s......so if you don't have great service in your home or place or work stay elsewhere until resolved....It's a shame, neat idea for service.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 5 of 42

TheMarf wrote:

Also no WiFi Calling or Texting on Galaxy S8s......so if you don't have great service in your home or place or work stay elsewhere until resolved....It's a shame, neat idea for service.

I have the Galaxy S8 and I have no issues anywhere I'm at. Sorry to hear you have issues. Have you tried to reboot the phone?  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 42

The issue isn't with the phone or with the service.  My issue is with the lack of being able to call or text over WiFi.  This is a basic feature the major carriers have which is extremely beneficial for people like me who live in old buildings that aren't cell service friendly.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 7 of 42

My Galaxy has been making calls and recieving texts over wifi.  Try calling tech support.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 8 of 42

How much service do you have when sending calls/texts over wifi?  Please try disabling your mobile network and send a text using only WiFi.  I have no service in my house and I am unable to text via WiFi.  Every article I have found has stated there presently isn't any Wifi Calling/Texting for Xfinity mobile and in order for it to work it has to be supported by the carrier.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 9 of 42

Good luck reaching their support.  I have tried texting and waiting on a phone for 20 minutes.  Have not had any luck.  I got the S8 and the phone seems fine but I had .9 GB of data the first day of use.  Largely due to android setup which was done at the Comcast store.  It's fun watching people come in there and seeing the anguish.  Misery loves company and Comcast has plenty for all.  You just have to wait for it.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 10 of 42
Posted by
Contributor

Message 11 of 42

looks like Bixby voice used 377BB of my monthly 1 GB allotment.  I can't find any in support to listen to me and they have no way for me to share what I see on my phone in the settings for data usage.  SmartSelectImage_2017-08-08-08-21-13.pngSmartSelectImage_2017-08-08-08-29-57.pngSmartSelectImage_2017-08-09-16-24-54.png

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 12 of 42

TheMarf, we do not support WiFi calling at this time, however this feature will be coming in the future.

terrydh, are you looking to disable Bixby since it uses data? If you open the Bixby app and then go to settings, you can toggle off Bixby voice. Additionally, if you are not looking to use the GB data program, you can disabled your data settings. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 13 of 42

I am NOT looking to disable data or Bixby for that matter, albeit somewhat useless to me.  Maybe I will get used to him or her or it.  I was sitting 20 feet from my wireless router the whole time I was using the phone.  It should have not been directing all this stuff over LTE for heaven's sake.  Tell me why it used LTE.   I did see an option in settings that said said use LTE when your wireless connection is unstable which I have set to NO NO NO.  I want to KNOW when large amounts of data are being transferred to or from my phone via LTE and NOT have that happen ever again.  I used less than 100mg a month on verizon for a long time using wireless transmission only.   Comcast was not prepared for this business.  It's like a grocery store deciding to sell CARS!  Maybe there is a better Analogy, but that's my veiw.  Like Amazon selling Groceries.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 14 of 42

Dear official comcast employee, why does calling involve DATA?  I don't understand why you would mention that?  

Posted by
Contributor

Message 15 of 42

I forgot to mention I was connected to a wireless router at my home on your cable network.  

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 16 of 42

Dear official comcast employee, why does calling involve DATA?  I don't understand why you would mention that?  

terrydh, another user on this forum was asking about WiFi calling which is a feature that would allow you to make phone calls over wifi when carrier signals are not strong (ie basements). 

I was sitting 20 feet from my wireless router the whole time I was using the phone.  It should have not been directing all this stuff over LTE for heaven's sake.  Tell me why it used LTE

I cannot say as to why your phone was using data while connected to WiFi. I suggest going through the settings of your applications to make sure that personal data isn't ranked over Wi-Fi in background applications. Additionally, I suggest disabling your data while connecting to Wi-Fi to prevent this from occurring. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 17 of 42

Does a phone call use DATA on your plan?  I really Don't care about that.  I want to know why an application like BIXBY would be using 377 megabytes of data ?!  And another 313 was consumed by something called Remove apps and users.

what on Gods once green earth is that and why is going to cost me ?????????????????  Does comcast see this stuff in there data?  It's not a lot of money and I just want answers so I can be a smart consumer going forward.  I don't wnat to have to become a cell phone guru to use this phone.  Your last post assumes a lot of knowledge I may or may not have.  That' not a good thing for someone giving advice to do.  It may all be transparent to you cell technology guru's but I am just a simple consumer trying not to spend money foolishly.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 18 of 42

terrydh, it is possible that BIXBY is using app data in the background when you weren't connected to the Wi-Fi. 

It sounds like the issue is behind background apps. You will have to go through each of their settings to terminate them from running. 

I want to help you as best as I can! I personally disabled my phone's data capabilities so my phone is forced to connect to Wi-Fi. I can walk you through those steps: 

• From the Home screen, touch and swipe up or down to display all apps.
  • From the Home screen, navigate: Settings icon > Data usage> Data usage settings.
  • Tap the Mobile data switch to turn on or off 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 19 of 42
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 20 of 42
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 21 of 42

You say that WiFi calling is coming in the future can you tell us if this is going to be a software upgrade or would we need to again purchase new devices.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 22 of 42
It'd have to be a Ota software update. The phones support wifi calling. It's restricted by carriers.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 23 of 42
How are you able to use wifi calling and text on the S8? Not only can I not find the option, support says it's not even offered!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 24 of 42

Xfinity doesn't support it.  The Galaxy S8 does.  This entire thread is complaining that they don't support it.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 25 of 42
I have contacted support so many times since July I can't even count. My mobile data is off, but I never auto connect to XFINITY, CableWifi, or xfinity. I have been waiting on fire 3 to call me back for 3 months now.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 26 of 42
Sorry, I thought I was replying to fpirelli original comments.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 27 of 42
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 28 of 42

I have researched and read posts on here and still confused about what  technology is used for the unlimited  phone calls/texts.  I have Comcast WIFI at home but  rarely use my phone to make calls in the house and when I do its on T Mobile LTE.  When I am out and about what is the pecking order technology for making phone calls? I sure don't want data  to kick in when I am not near a hotspot just for regular phone calls. Ithis is what happens its a deal breaker.  With T Mobile  data is never used just to make calls.  I only turn on data if I need to use the internet and that is rare. I am leaning towards switching to Xfinity Mobile even though it means buying two new phones that we don't need but looking for answers to some issues and the data usage is the primary one. We are not big data users and the 1G we have with T Mobile is fine. 

Also this should be a given but I don't see it in writing that we can keep our mobile phone number?

Thanks

Posted by
Contributor

Message 29 of 42

You can port your current number in just like you can on any other cell service.

Phone calls and texts do not use the data connection - VoLTE is not currently supported.

Phone calls and texts also do not use a WiFi connection or hotspot because Xfinity Mobile does not support this at this time.

If you don't want to use mobile data, then shut it off in the phone settings and leave it off.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 30 of 42

gderf wrote:

You can port your current number in just like you can on any other cell service.

Phone calls and texts do not use the data connection. Phone calls and texts also do not use a WiFi connection or hotspot because Xfinity Mobile does not support that.

If you don't want to use mobile data, then shut it off in the phone settings and leave it off.

FYI...I never leave my data on...only turn it on if I have to use it.

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I knew I could get better answers on here than God Forbid trying to deal with customer service on a new product.

If as you say "Phone calls and texts do not use the data connection" then what do they use? From what I read Verizon is not the  default first choice network for phone calls. If it relied soley on Verizon for calls/texts I would be 'all in' .

Oh brother...now I am really twisting in the wind.  From what I read I thought the WIFI hot spots were the backbone of their service for phone and text and Verizon LTE would only kick in when there was no hotspot.  But you have clarified that  the WIFI is only used for data and after more confusing research I found below which is what you said. Now I know why they are so eager provide a free G of data per month. It would run out very quickly. Where I live is saturated with Verizon but I still don't see where Verizon would be first choice for calls from what I have read. See below. I am afraid I am not going to be able to switch after all. We pay $80 for two T Mobile lines with 1G of data so obviously I thought I could save a bundle paying $24 for 2 lines and 1G of data.  Silly me.

This was written April 2017...The 'red' was highlighted by me.

http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/services-apps-mobile/xfinity-mobile-isnt-a-wifi-phone-service/d/d...

Comcast is launching into mobile, and that's market-impacting news no matter how you slice it. But one of the cable company's big financial advantages over incumbent carriers is supposed to be that it can use its existing WiFi footprint in addition to a reseller agreement with Verizon for customer connectivity. And as it turns out, that WiFi advantage only applies initially to consumer data usage, not to the voice calls that anchor a traditional mobile service.

With the introduction of Xfinity Mobile today, Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) is getting ready to activate a service that relies entirely on Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ)'s network for phone calls, while also automatically connecting customers to Xfinity WiFi hotspots for online activity. Even with data usage, Comcast won't support seamless handoffs between its WiFi footprint and Verizon's cellular network. If a customer moves out of range of a Comcast hotspot, the user's Internet connection will drop until the mobile device re-establishes Verizon connectivity.

Comcast has clarified that both WiFi calling and seamless handoffs will be added to the Xfinity Mobile service. But neither function will be available at launch.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 31 of 42

gderf wrote:

Phone calls and texts do not use the data connection - VoLTE is not currently supported.

---

Sounds like a non truth from xfinitymobile.com...... VoLTE calls are voice calls made over the 4G LTE network. They have superior audio quality to regular phone calls made over the standard voice network. ... Cellular and WiFi coverage are shown as a singular network because we've combined the nation's largest 4G LTE network with our millions XFINITY WiFi hotspots.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 32 of 42

TerriB, VoLTE is available on capable devices and it is included with free unlimited talk and text. 

XFINITY Mobile customers can make and receive VoLTE calls with customers from XFINITY Mobile and Verizon Wireless, as long as they’re in supported locations, with supported devices, and with capabilities turned on.

Outside of VoLTE, phone calls and texts (non iMessage) are sent via the network.

Each customer starts with 100MB of free shared data. Additional data is at $12/GB.  The 18M XFINITY Hotspots you have access to are meant to supplement using cellular data--saving you money. If you do not connect to WiFi, then data will be charged according to what is used. There are also unlimited data options at $45/line. 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 33 of 42

ComcastKenF wrote:

TerriB, VoLTE is available on capable devices and it is included with free unlimited talk and text. 

XFINITY Mobile customers can make and receive VoLTE calls with customers from XFINITY Mobile and Verizon Wireless, as long as they’re in supported locations, with supported devices, and with capabilities turned on.

Outside of VoLTE, phone calls and texts (non iMessage) are sent via the network.

Each customer starts with 100MB of free shared data. Additional data is at $12/GB.  The 18M XFINITY Hotspots you have access to are meant to supplement using cellular data--saving you money. If you do not connect to WiFi, then data will be charged according to what is used. There are also unlimited data options at $45/line. 

KenF

I am assuming that any phone I buy from Comcast will be 'capable' of VoLTE...correct?  Interesting about VoLTE can only be used between Xfinity Mobile and Verizon customers. What is the network that would be used if the other person is not on those... ..."Outside of VoLTE, phone calls and texts (non iMessage) are sent via the network".

My only concern is that I am not using my data allowance  for calls/texts. Can you clarify that no calls would be using  the 1G of data that I would sign up for?  If not then I am ready to switch. I don't want to be worrying about how much data is being used for calls. I keep data turned off unless I have to use it to connect to the internet. Thanks again

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 34 of 42

Not all phones are VoLTE capable. The following phones are capable: 

• Samsung Galaxy S7
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
  • Samsung Galaxy S8
  • Samsung Galaxy S8+
  • LG X charge™
  • All iPhone models

By "network" outside of the 4GLTE network that VoLTE runs on, I mean the standard voice network. You can read more about VoLTE here: 

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/223323028/what-is-voice-over-lte-volte

Data is not being used for calls. Calls are not done on the 4GLTE network. 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 35 of 42

ComcastKenF wrote:

Not all phones are VoLTE capable. The following phones are capable: 

• Samsung Galaxy S7
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
  • Samsung Galaxy S8
  • Samsung Galaxy S8+
  • LG X charge™
  • All iPhone models

By "network" outside of the 4GLTE network that VoLTE runs on, I mean the standard voice network. You can read more about VoLTE here: 

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/223323028/what-is-voice-over-lte-volte

Data is not being used for calls. Calls are not done on the 4GLTE network. 

KenF

===

I will be getting LG phones so thats good. We don't even need new phones and would never consider  what I feel are over rated and over priced Apple products and I don't trust Sansung after the fires,etc. Since we are being 'forced' to buy phones from Comcast we will get the least expensive and the reviews of the LG are good.

Ok to close me out...what do you consider a 'standard voice network'? We have no way of knowing what carrier our friends/family have so want to make sure those calls are going to be clear. Our current T Mobile service that we have had for 10 yrs is as clear as our Comcast digital land line and has given us zero problems so of course I am a bit hesitant to change...its all about the cost for us.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 36 of 42

Cool, yeah, I'm an LG person myself and I've always gotten devices from them. They make solid phones. 

We are a mobile virtual network operator of Verizon's network. If I'm not mistaken, non VoLTE are carried on the CDMA2000 network. 

It sounds like you're concerned about coverage. You can view the Verizon coverage map here:

vzwmap.verizonwireless.com

You will be able to connect to calls and browse the web where coverage falls. 

As far as data goes, you can connect to nearby hotspots and not use your data plan. You can view our hotspot coverage here: 

http://hotspots.wifi.xfinity.com/

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 37 of 42

Hi Ken,

Is there any new information about when WiFi Calling will be available for XM?  You guys have to be close to a solution now especially with reports of when people swap SIMs around they get it to work.  I'm only asking as I work from home and am unable to call or text unless I stand near a window.....quite irritating.  Does XM do beta testing for new features such as this?  If so I'd love to get involved and test the WiFi Calling feature.

Thanks,

-Robert

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 38 of 42

Robert, I haven't heard news about Wi-Fi calling's ETA yet. Once our team gets word, we will post a megathread to announce. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 39 of 42

ComcastKenF wrote:

Cool, yeah, I'm an LG person myself and I've always gotten devices from them. They make solid phones. 

We are a mobile virtual network operator of Verizon's network. If I'm not mistaken, non VoLTE are carried on the CDMA2000 network. 

It sounds like you're concerned about coverage. You can view the Verizon coverage map here:

vzwmap.verizonwireless.com

You will be able to connect to calls and browse the web where coverage falls. 

As far as data goes, you can connect to nearby hotspots and not use your data plan. You can view our hotspot coverage here: 

http://hotspots.wifi.xfinity.com/

Thanks for the sanity check on LG. We have Alcatel now and are quite happy.

No coverage issues. I just to make darn sure I get clear conversation with those not on Xfinity or Verizon mobile .  There are hotspots all over the place where I live but I never seem to be able to hook up with one when I am out  and need one but thats not an issue for today.

I will go to my service center to get on Xfinity Mobile when the time is right.

Thanks again Ken.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 40 of 42

Sounds good, TerriB. 

Cheers, 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 41 of 42

Anyone able to help explain I bought a iPhone 7 from private person phone is locked she is in the process of fixing via Comcast via u s xenon still waiting since last sunday

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 42 of 42

flunes, our iPhones are locked to our network and will have to go through the unlock process before another sim card can be used. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.