Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Will I get the same wireless speed and coverage as i now get with Verizon?

New Poster

Frequent Visitor

Re: Will I get the same wireless speed and coverage as i now get with Verizon?

Good question, I’m sure time will tell. Sure, it’s all the same. Just like the sprint commercials you see on tv saying it’s only a 1 percent difference from Verizon. You will never know the difference.
Official Employee

glennie2, XFINITY Mobile combines the nation’s largest 4G LTE network with our 15 million XFINITY WiFI hotspots. 

If you'd like to check out your coverage, you can use this link to get more info: 

https://www.verizonwireless.com/featured/better-matters/?intmcp=int-sea-non-se-coverage-051614-de-sr...

Here is the map for our hotspot coverage: 

http://hotspots.wifi.xfinity.com/

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Contributor

Yes and no. Bandwidth and coverage are essentially the same. Ignoring Comcast insecure WiFi as coverage. However right now because Comcast uses their own network gateway latency is much poorer than verizon proper. If you plan to tether or use a vpn I would keep that in mind
Regular Contributor

Short answer: Speed - No, Coverage - Yes.

Speed: As mentioned above, LTE latency is the big issue, but hopefully Comcast will make some changes and improve this. I think latency is a much more important factor than most people realize. It affects almost everything you do with your data connection. You can run a network speed test with Xfinity Mobile and see some really good LTE throughput numbers, comparable to Verizon, which can make you think you have a fast connection. However, in reality, it's hard to see those numbers in everyday use. For example, look at just loading a simple web page. The time to transfer the data is generally insignificant regardless of your LTE throughput number. However, loading that data typically takes a number of round trip messages to the server. If it takes 10 round trips, with a 30ms Verizon latency, that means the web page can load in about 1/3 of a second. With an Xfinity latency of 180ms (which is roughly my current average in Seattle), that means the same web page takes almost 2 seconds to load. Your numbers and experience will vary, but in general be prepared for things to feel a bit slower with Xfinity.

Coverage: It's really good. Xfinity advertises the same coverage map as Verizon. If there is a Verizon tower nearby, you should be able to connect to it. The only possible exception might be roaming. We suspect that Xfinity doesn't have the same roaming agreements as Verizon does with third parties. If you commonly roam off Verizon's network this might impact you, but for most people this is a non-issue.

Other: Xfinity Customer Service has some real issues right now. Hopefully they'll get those worked out soon. But Xfinity is an MVNO who licenses Verizon's network, so they are unlikely to ever have the same level of expertise as Verizon. Also be aware of some feature differences such as no wifi calling on Xfinity (but it's supposedly coming soon). Xfinity also doesn't offer any customizable options such as data caps for individual family members.