Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Unlocking Phone - Policy Change Applicable to Existing Customers?

ANSWERED
New Poster

Unlocking Phone - Policy Change Applicable to Existing Customers?

I signed up for XM in November, and before doing so specifically asked about the unlock policy as I would be travelling internationally this Spring and would need to switch carriers for 4 months during this time. I was told it was a non-issue even though I was on device payment plan, and that the phone would be unlocked and I could continue making the monthly payments as usual. 

Fast forward to this weekend when I called in to have the phone unlocked and they said policy had changed and the device now had to be paid off. I explained the situation and the agent said they would escalate my request, but as I still haven't heard anything I thought i'd post here. It does not seem right or ethical to change the rules of the game for existing customers. If you want to change the unlock policy, that is your right, but it should only apply to new customers, or existing customers entering a NEW device payment plan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I've been saving for my trip I really don't have an extra grand to throw down on the phone.

Accepted Solution

Re: Unlocking Phone - Policy Change Applicable to Existing Customers?

Aggies087, I understand your frustrations. The policy changed a few weeks ago and it does apply to all customers--even those who activated before the policy went into effect. Apologies for the inconvenience. 

KenF

View answer in context
Frequent Visitor

I hear you. I am in the same boat. I clearly asked if my phone can be unlocked if I need to travel overseas and I was promised that It would be without a problem. Now when I need to travel they are telling me it can't be unlocked since it is on a payment plan. I have been a comcast customer for more than a decade without so much as a late payment and they still think I am going to commit fraud.

New Poster

Yup. I can't imagine how what they did is legal. If they want to change the policy fine, but it should only apply to new customers and/or new device payment plans.

I got nowhere with support, and some I spoke with were outright rude. They said it is impossible to actually speak with someone in the department that does the unlocking. They said they would open a ticket to unlock it and I could explain my situation there, but when I did so the email was clearly not read as it just came back with a generic "we can not unlock as the device is not paid off" email.

I bit the bullet and paid it off...a $950 expense I wasn't expecting before my trip. The customer service issues, and inability to actually speak to someone that could do anything for me, are simply inexcusible. I am cancelling all Xfinity servicees out of principal, which even means moving to an alternate internet provider that tops out at 80 mpbs. 

Frequent Visitor

I am seriously thinking of cancelling my services with xfinity as well given their practices of how they like to screw over the existing customers. My only problem is the alternative internet provider in my area has very terrible bandwidth which tops at 20mbps which is not going to work for me.

Official Employee

Aggies087, I understand your frustrations. The policy changed a few weeks ago and it does apply to all customers--even those who activated before the policy went into effect. Apologies for the inconvenience. 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation