Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Transporting a number

New Poster

Transporting a number

I have been on the phone so much the past couple days over getting my number ported from Straight Talk to Xfinity. I don't know what the issue really is and why its so difficult. I have never experienced this must frustration over keeping my number when changing providers. Xfinity is telling me that Straight Talk is blocking their request and Straight Talk is saying they havent received a request. I JUST WANT TO KEEP MY NUMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contributor

Re: Transporting a number

Typically, the current carrier will not release a number unless they are provided with exactly the information they require, and that information can only come from the customer. Even the most trivial discrepency bewteen the information you provide and what your current carrier requires will result in a failed port. When the port is first attempted electronically, and it fails, all the new carrier knows it that the port failed, but not why.

In all likelyhood the only way you will get your number ported is for Xfinity Mobile's porting-in agent to set up a three way conference call between them, you, and Straight Talk's porting-out agent. That will be the only way that Xfinity Mobile will be told exactly what the problem is and that information can only be transmitted verbally.

It would be helpful if you were to call your current carrier and ask them exactly what information is required to port out and confirm that you have that EXACT information. Do NOT discuss cancelling service with your current provider. If they somehow, even mistakenly misinterpret what you are saying, and they cancel your service before your number is ported out......your number is likely lost forever.

Good luck.

New Poster

I had all the correct information and I can definiently can confirm that. I have also conference called both providers and still have  not accomplished what I wanted. So even though the request is not confirmed, Straight Talk is aware of the fact that it is trying to be ported?

Contributor

Well, the good news is that it seems like you have done your part and it's out of your hands.

The bad news is that it seems that the people who need to accomplish the port can't get it done and can't even come up with reasons why not. Not encouraging.

You say you have conferenced called both providers, but if you were not talking to actual porting agents on both ends, you were talking to the wrong people.

Good luck.

Frequent Visitor

This may sound like a stupid question, but have you verified that Xfinity is licensed to get that number?

I used to sell phones in an area that had this come up occasionally. Though the FCC mandated that the phone number is yours and that they can not deny you from bringing it from one carrier to another, the new carrier still needs to be licensed in the area the prefix is based out of.  For example, I switched a customer from AT&T to Sprint, but the phone numbers prefix was based out of zip code 03033, which Sprint was not licensed to use. This issue caused the Sprint system to fail every time but never sent the request to AT&T because the system knew it couldn't have the number, which is what may be happening to you. Unfortunately, this was an issue that most of the 1st and 2nd level customer service reps do not know or have access to. What I have had to do in the past is annoying but simple to figure out- call your current carrier, Straight Talk, and ask them what town/zip code your number is based out of. Then, call Xfinity sales department and ask them if they can give you a number out of that town/zip code *specify that it needs to be exact and not a surrounding area*.

I was never able to figure out how localized the licensing is, but In the northeast, there are a lot of areas that only one carrier works in, so the other carriers didn't bother with the licensing...

Official Employee

Hi Saubrey0011, I can help review any open ticket on my side with you.  Please send me a private message with your account information (your name, address and account number). 

Thank you 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation