Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Successful Android BYOD?? Please Post

Contributor

Successful Android BYOD?? Please Post

Could any of you who have been successful with an android BYOD, please post?

Please also specify your xfinity mobile purchase device and the BYOD device you used. I'm really on the fence, ready to jump ship(at&t) but id like to be confident that it'll work if i take advantage of samsungs current BOGO deal

Contributor

Re: Successful Android BYOD?? Please Post

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/comments/6d6x5b/the_xfinity_mobile_megathread/dk0wvaj/

[–]ccjohnfCommunity Manager[S] 1 point  

Is it possible to order a SIM card now rather than purchase a phone?

This is not something that's possible at this time. We do not offer SIM cards-only for purchase.

"We're unable to support phones that are purchased independently or through other carriers—we can’t guarantee that they’ll work, and we can’t provide technical support if they don’t..."

It was reworded so that folks swapping their XFINITY Mobile SIM cards into another unlocked device are aware that this is not something we can support. We can't stop you from doing this, so we've clarified the document to basically state 'YMMV and it's not something we can provide technical support for'.

I'm assuming BYOD is allowed and just not supported.

As of today, BYOD is a technical capability we have in place. We'll share more information once we have it available.

Valued Contributor

I got the X-Power from Xfinity Mobile then, after activation of my phone number, I moved the XM SIM to the LG V20 US966 that I bought from Amazon.com. Everything including visual voicemail has been running perfectly. The name of the mobile carrier shown on the V20 is Verizon Wireless instead of Xfinity Mobile as it was on the X-Power. Still same voice mail problem where the XM system couldn't recognize the keys I dialed, therefore I couldn't set up the PIN. That reminds me it's been 3 weeks now since I reported the problem to XM and asked for help but XM has been acting like they saw/heard nothing.

New Poster

I tried using my Unlocked S7 Edge (SM-G935U) with a xfinity sim and that did not work. Searched for networks manually (showed Verizon,TMobile, ATT) and tried choosing Verizon and it still did not work. SM-G935U is the USA unlocked version and I have seen other people report using the same on Verizon. So your mileage may vary with BYOP.

Contributor

I bought the S8+ and still have my iPhone 7 Plus... when I switched the sim cards I was shocked to find the Xfinity sim didn't work in my unlocked iPhone! Turns out AT&T had re-locked my phone... I found all this out yesterday when I called Apple, apparently this is pretty common for them. 😡   After calling and flipping out I still had to go online to request the unlock... I had an e-mail this morning approving it. My head still hurts from clenching my jaw.  lol   

Frequent Visitor

I have purchased a couple of the LG X Power, and put the SIM of the first X Power  in a Costco-purchased Motorola G4 (was also used on T-Mobile).  I use it here in the US (Verizon shows up), but also used it in Canada (Rogers shows  up).  Everything that I use it for works fine.  FWIW, Ooma WiFi calling works well.

I am following the Motorola G5+ threads watching the G5+ VoLTE on Verizon issues, and may pick one up once that is working smoothly.  I may put my Xfinity SIM in my Blackberry Z30 just to test, but that's not a real priority.

KH

New Poster

Andrun -

Try doing a this:

1. Go to the Verizon site and enter your IMEI number - to ensure that your device can indeed work with the Verizon network https://www.verizonwireless.com/bring-your-own-device/#checkDevice

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, you may need to manually set the APN. Go to the settings > mobile networks > APN. Remove all APNs that are in there. Once done, copy the APN settings from the phone you received from XFinity (I used the same uname and password).

3. Restart and see if that works.

I was able to do this and enable a Samsung S8. Unfortunately google voice somehow did not work with this. And I have not tried the native visual voicemail since we use google voice.

Good luck!

Most Valued Poster

My S5 worked fine and dandy after swapping the SIM from the LG.  The only wrinkle was I needed to get a nano to micro SIM adapter.  On the S5 it only says Verizon Wireless.  XM never pops up anywhere on the phone.  

New Poster

Thanks for the reply. I ended up selling my s7 edge and buying a phone from xfinity,so can't try now.
New Poster

i bought a  LG X Power phone and activated my account , every thing worked fine .

then i put the sim on my samsung galaxy s7 (SM-G930U) , i can receive and make calls , receive sms ., thats it .

i am not able to use data and send sms .

i went to xfinity store and checked the settings for APN and tried using it on my phone ... no luck .

insted of showing xfinity on the screen as newwork name it shows 31000 .and no bars on the network icon.

only differance between my model SM-G930U and the xfinity store model SM-G930VC is mine does support CDMA2000, TD/SCDMA .

is this the problem or am i missing any thing.

any one succesful in using S7

if any one have S7 can you try and let me know if it works for you.

i tried on nexus x5 , iphone 6 and galaxy note 8 , it worked on all but not my S7 Smiley Sad

Official Employee

i bought a  LG X Power phone and activated my account , every thing worked fine .

then i put the sim on my samsung galaxy s7 (SM-G930U) , i can receive and make calls , receive sms ., thats it .

i am not able to use data and send sms .

i went to xfinity store and checked the settings for APN and tried using it on my phone ... no luck .

insted of showing xfinity on the screen as newwork name it shows 31000 .and no bars on the network icon.

only differance between my model SM-G930U and the xfinity store model SM-G930VC is mine does support CDMA2000, TD/SCDMA .

is this the problem or am i missing any thing.

any one succesful in using S7

if any one have S7 can you try and let me know if it works for you.

i tried on nexus x5 , iphone 6 and galaxy note 8 , it worked on all but not my S7 Smiley Sad

This isn't surprising, mrr_xm. I've seen a few posts on the forums from customers who were able to use service on devices purchased outside of XFINITY Mobile but weren't able to use every aspect of service like what you experienced on your S7. We do not support BYOD at this time but hope to in the future. 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

could you list what to use for username and password?
New Poster

This is a little old now. But I wanted to point out that what I did was make sure my Samsung Galaxy S8+ was unlocked through the AT&T process. Once I received confirmation and a code to unlock my phone. I installed the Comcast xfinity sim card. Then I did a full reset of the phone. The phone went through the process then it rebooted again with a message saying the carrier network settings had changed. After the reboot, the phone came back on all set up and ready to use on the xfinity network.

Hope this helps someone.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 11 in conversation