Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Strange number on outgoing call list???

Frequent Visitor

Strange number on outgoing call list???

In my Xfinity Mobile app where you can see your usage, I was scrolling through my inbound/outbound call details. I noticed one particular number in my outbound list that I have never seen. It shows up several times and a lot of times it's 2 and 3 AM and has been since the day I got the number. I looked it up and it says that is an Atlanta, GA. I don't even know anyone from there. Has anyone noticed this?
Contributor

Re: Strange number on outgoing call list???

I just checked our new phone and yup a call to Atlanta at 2:21 a.m. ... wonder what this is

Contributor

Is that the one with the 254 exchange code? Maybe that's for voicemail, can't verify because my phone is not with me. The number is owned by Comcast Phone of Georgia, LLC doing business as Comcast Digital Phone, an entity that is a legacy of the 2002 acquisition of AT&T Broadband. But I have no clue why it would show up on your call log when no one was using the phone. 

Contributor

404-254-5961 is the Xfinity Mobile voicemail number.
New Poster

I'm getting the same outgoing calls. I know it is not coming from my phone because I'm not even using the Xfinity sims. So I'm not sure why these calls are appearing on my line.

Most Valued Poster

I was checking my bill details for another thread and came across this number in my history although it never shows up in the call logs. I assume it is my phone calling in via the O/S to check for updates to the O/S. But I have no way to prove that. I have my mobile data service turned off so I won't be charged for data usage but I see that each month I do incur a small amount of mobile data usage. So maybe the phone call is E.T. calling home for O/S updates?  :>)

New Poster

My phone is saying I'm calling that same number and the phone isn't even powered on. Xfinity mobile assured me it wouldn't do it with a replacement phone. Needless to say after losing some important documents that didn't get transferred to the new phone, it's still happening!
Most Valued Poster

Rawfish wrote:

I'm getting the same outgoing calls. I know it is not coming from my phone because I'm not even using the Xfinity sims. So I'm not sure why these calls are appearing on my line.

I don't think it is Xfinity calling for updates but the LG  mobile app (or which ever maker you have) looking for updates etc.

New Poster

I noticed it a few months ago!! I contacted Comcast and they said they had no idea but assured me my line wasn't hacked or jeopardized. They suggested that I reported it to the harassment center and gave me a link, no response. I can understand the voice mail theory, but this number shows up on my bill way more than I ever check my voice mail.
Official Employee

Hello all. 

That number is dialed out by your device's voicemail platform. When a call is placed to your device and there isn't answer because the line is deactivated or not active for whatever reason, the caller hears a "The subscriber you have called is unavailable" message. That phone number is the voicemail's relay of that message and that is all done automatically on the backend. 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

If (404) 254-5961 is indeed Voice Mail, then what is (207) 715-0993 BERWICK, ME ? I did not call this number, it does not show in the call logs on the phone itself, but does show on my statement. I also noted many "outbound" calls to (404) 254-5961 on my statement, a number of them a minute apart. They do not show up in the call logs on my phone. Tier 1 support was unable to answer any questions or offer insights, and I have called in twice about it. I have three phones, all new phones from Xfinity, all new numbers. 2 of the 3 phones do not have the problem. Only one of them does, and all 3 phones are generally off except for traveling or emergencies. Why only one phone? No one has the number.
Frequent Visitor

I am getting the same numbers, both of these number shown above. I trace the one (207) 715-0993 BERWICK, ME  to a CBS reporter on the TV news in Maine. The other number (404) 254-5961 I can't find any info on. When I call it, it says that "This mailbox is currently unavailable". If this is Xfinities voice mail they should at least show up in a search but I cannot find anything. Something is not right here.

Most Valued Poster

That would be funny if someone programed all the Xfinity Mobile phones to harrass some reporter in the middle of the night. That can't be right, could it?  >)

New Poster

I don't think that is what people are trying to insinuate here. I did find info previously on the 404 area code mystery dial out, and came up with Linn Software in Atlanta. I called their main corporate number, and the man I spoke with said he had already received several call from people about this. He thought the number might have been previously assigned to his company, and that he would call Comcast as a business customer and have the information scrubbed so people would stop calling him about it. He realized that wouldn't necessarily fix my problem. The number in Maine is a new one showing up, and again, it is only happening on one of 3 phones of mine. It is possible that Maine number was previously owned by the TV reporter. If these are Comcast numbers connected with their voice mail message service a) why are the support staff unaware of it? I have called in twice now. They say they do not know what is going on, perhaps calling law enforcement to investigate is a good idea. b) why are these calls even showing up on my statement as calls I made? This makes no sense. Xfinity's new mobile roll out did not exactly go smoothly and had, perhaps still has, many problems to be ironed out.
Contributor

MarmotObserver wrote:
If (404) 254-5961 is indeed Voice Mail, then what is (207) 715-0993 BERWICK, ME ? I did not call this number, it does not show in the call logs on the phone itself, but does show on my statement. I also noted many "outbound" calls to (404) 254-5961 on my statement, a number of them a minute apart. They do not show up in the call logs on my phone. Tier 1 support was unable to answer any questions or offer insights, and I have called in twice about it. I have three phones, all new phones from Xfinity, all new numbers. 2 of the 3 phones do not have the problem. Only one of them does, and all 3 phones are generally off except for traveling or emergencies. Why only one phone? No one has the number.

I don't know about the Maine number, but I just compared the billing log at the time the Atlanta number was called (December 1st, 3:57pm), and checked my phone log, and yes, I missed a call at that exact time.  I had cleared my phone log earlier so that is the only missed call I can compare. But it seems to be correct what Ken had posted.

Maybe compare your billing log time for (404) 254-5961 and check you phone for that date/time to see if there are missed calls that went to voicemail.

Most Valued Poster

I don't make or receive any calls to the 404 area code yet that number shows up in my main phone and my back up phone. But only in the billing and not in my call log.

Contributor

WindsurfMaui wrote:

I don't make or receive any calls to the 404 area code yet that number shows up in my main phone and my back up phone. But only in the billing and not in my call log.

It won't show up on your phone. It is xfinity mobile internally (?) connecting to your voicemail when you miss a call.

If you compare a date/time you see the 404 number on billing, check your phone for same date/time for a missed call from another number.

Example:

Billing shows call to the (404) 254-5961  December 1st 3:57pm

Phone shows missed call from (888) 936-4968 at same time that was missed December 1st at 3:57pm and voicemail picked up...thereby activating the call to voicemail (404) 254-5961 that shows on billing.  I believe it calls the (404) 254-5961 number either to post their voicemail to your box, or to pick up your away message for them to hear.

Most Valued Poster

that sounds like a good experiment. i will watch this month.

New Poster

I have the call logs on the phone. One time does correspond, perhaps by chance, but I don't see that with any others. Example of what a particular day in billing looked like. Don't see any corresponding missed calls on the phone itself on that date. Again, I am not sure why, if these are internal numbers used by voice mail, that Xfinity support seems to be unaware of them, and why would they appear as calls from me on my statement? I don't use the phone except when traveling or for roadside emergency. The batteries on the X-charge phones run down quickly, and the batteries are not replaceable. I don't know how many recharges they are good for. They are a wonderful, cheap ($1.00) emergency assistance device. But this should not be happening. Nov 09 (404) 254-5961 04:54 pm 1 min (404) 254-5961 04:53 pm 1 min (404) 254-5961 04:53 pm 1 min (404) 254-5961 03:54 pm 1 min (404) 254-5961 03:12 pm 1 min (404) 254-5961 02:34 pm 1 min (404) 254-5961 02:20 pm 1 min (404) 254-5961 02:20 pm 1 min (404) 254-5961 02:19 pm 1 min
Contributor

cggo wrote:

WindsurfMaui wrote:

It won't show up on your phone. It is xfinity mobile internally (?) connecting to your voicemail when you miss a call.

If you compare a date/time you see the 404 number on billing, check your phone for same date/time for a missed call from another number.

Example:

Billing shows call to the (404) 254-5961  December 1st 3:57pm

Phone shows missed call from (888) 936-4968 at same time that was missed December 1st at 3:57pm and voicemail picked up...thereby activating the call to voicemail (404) 254-5961 that shows on billing.  I believe it calls the (404) 254-5961 number either to post their voicemail to your box, or to pick up your away message for them to hear.

I tried it this morning.. Turned my wifes phone off and called it.. Went right to voice mail.. checked her call log on xf website later and there is a call to the 404 number at the same time.. Appears to be just as CCKen said..

New Poster

I have one which corresponds on a different day, but many do not, including the long string I mentioned above. Again, why would this even show up on the statement, and not on the phone itself? And why do support staff not know of it?
New Poster

Glad I found this thread. I have this on my call log as well. I called them and even referenced this thread. They don't kno anything about this at the 888-936-4968 line. This is am issue that they could not wrap their head around. I have correlated in at leastmy case with blocked numbers and spammers. So the block on your phone (which allows calls to vm  rather than disconnect correclates with this weird 404 number. So the call comes into the network and bounces from the push to voicemail and relabels the number to the 404 number. The call log will not match the actual calls you received. This is a problem. Inacurrate logs are not cool. I have a stalker who can now leave voicemails that I can't block and my call logs don''t show the actual call that comes from the stalker is shows this bogus number.  This can be dangerous and should be fixed immediately.  I tried to get them to put in a ticket for this as it is important. They said they would but I did not get a ticket number. They just kept saying they were a new compny and they are not sure how to get this to development. So disappointed. May have to switch back to Verizon.

Frequent Visitor

Do you think the (404) 254-5961 number has something to do with the SPAM filter that they have? I have a Samsung S8 and it has built in spam filter for calls. When it knows it is a robo call it shows up on the screen as SPAM Call. Maybe this number is a log file or something. The only thing is Xfinity should be able to answer our questions.