New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Signal Booster

ANSWERED
New Poster

Signal Booster

Good morning!

I just switched over to Xfinity Mobile from Consumer Cellular (AT&T MVNO). I am not impressed to say the least. I went from 3+ bars down to 1 bar of signal. Is there anyway of improving this before I switch back?

I was wondering about a "signal booster" that I have read about and works very well for a friend of mine. Does Comcast/Xfinity offer such a device, or third party? If not, is one on the horizon that Xfinity will approve of?

Thanks all you smart people!

Accepted Solution

Re: Signal Booster

To address your first question, steve-mack, we do not support signal boosters at this time. 

When wiFi calling is enabled, all calls will be made via WiFi as long as a connection to a wifi network remains. 

Yes, if wiFi is on and a network is connected, it will make all calls on wiFi rather than the cellular network even if you're not home. But remember, you have to be connected to wiFi. 

Good questions about the E911 and wifi Calling. To my understanding, when you call 9-11, the dispatch answers and the E911 address on file is automatically sent to them. The same applies to landline service and their respective E911 address.  If Wi-Fi Calling must be used to call 911, the call is usually routed based on location data from your device and the Wi-Fi network. 

View answer in context
Contributor

If  you have an iPhone set up and try Wi-Fi calling.

New Poster

I have never tried that, but I will. Thanks for the tip!

Does "wi-fi" mean it will use it for both making AND receiving calls?

Also, when I am away from my wi-fi will my phone automatically switch to the cellular mobile network?

Steve

Contributor

Yes

Yes

New Poster

Great! I'll give it a try...............Thanks

Official Employee

Hi steve-mack, please let us know the outcome here when you can.

Thank you

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

In a word, yes. The call quality does improve when connected to wi-fi calling.

I do have a question/concern though. When wi-fi calling is turned on will it always use wi-fi instead of cellular whenever a wi-fi is detected even if I am not at home?

If the answer is yes, here is my concern: When I set up wi-fi calling on my iPhone I had to enter my address, city, etc. I can see the reasoning here for emergency locations if ever needed. BUT, if I am connected to a wi-fi away from home, how will any emergency service know my location, since I won't be pinging off any cell tower enabling GPS to kick in?

Official Employee

To address your first question, steve-mack, we do not support signal boosters at this time. 

When wiFi calling is enabled, all calls will be made via WiFi as long as a connection to a wifi network remains. 

Yes, if wiFi is on and a network is connected, it will make all calls on wiFi rather than the cellular network even if you're not home. But remember, you have to be connected to wiFi. 

Good questions about the E911 and wifi Calling. To my understanding, when you call 9-11, the dispatch answers and the E911 address on file is automatically sent to them. The same applies to landline service and their respective E911 address.  If Wi-Fi Calling must be used to call 911, the call is usually routed based on location data from your device and the Wi-Fi network. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

OK. Thanks!

Problem Solver

Your phone will generally prefer WiFi calling instead of cellular. However, if you call 911 it tries to use cellular first.

From Apple:
"When cellular service is available, your iPhone uses it for emergency calls. If you turned on Wi-Fi Calling and cellular service isn't available, emergency calls might use Wi-Fi calling."
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032
Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation