Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Sharing Data

ANSWERED
Contributor

Sharing Data

I have paid for 2 mobile phones on my account.

When activated can those 2 phones share data on by the Gig plan?

Accepted Solution

Re: Sharing Data

Apologies all. I did not notice the most important part of your question, "By the Gig". There is no shareable data for unlimited, but yes; by the Gig is $12 per gig for the account. 

View answer in context
Official Employee

slamor07, we do not offer shared data at this time. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Tags (1)
Contributor

Your answer doesn't agree with the website support.

It states
At the beginning of every month, we give you 100 MB of free shareable 4G LTE data, just to start things off right.Gigabytes are $12 each, and data is shared across all lines on your account that are using By the Gig.
Tags (1)
Contributor

ComcastKenF, the unlimited plan cannot be shared, but I thought By the Gig plan is shared. If that is not the case, then the marketing material on the website needs to be updated. The following is straight from the website: "Each month, pay for the 4G LTE data you use at one low price of $12/GB. There are no limits, just the flexibility you need. The best part? It’s shared data, so you can have multiple lines connected on one account."

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Apologies all. I did not notice the most important part of your question, "By the Gig". There is no shareable data for unlimited, but yes; by the Gig is $12 per gig for the account. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Thats what I read.

Contributor

???

Official Employee

Cool, let me know if you have any other questions. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

But I guess you can share the unlimited data by making the phone with unlimited to be a hotspot, right? Although I know the other device must be in the vicinity.

Official Employee

cruzadel, there are no additional fees for using your phone as a hotspot, and you can do it whether you have by the gig or unlimited. 

You're correct, hotspot/tethering access does require the additional device to be within range of the broadcasting device. If you have a by the gig plan, hotspot counts toward your data usage.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

How does the system calculate the shared data usage?  Does it roundup the the nearest 100 MB on each phone line then add up together? 

If I have 3 phones lines and each use 301MB.  Does it consider 903 MB total usage or 1200 MB if you roundup each line first?

Frequent Visitor

I'm pretty sure they add up the actual data for each, then round up to the nearest .1gb..  My current charges show. .4gb used,  and I have three lines. One is at 215mb, another at 98mb, and the last at 40mb, as shown in the phones.  That adds up to 353mb, and rounding to the nearest tenth of a gigabyte after that is .4gb. If they were rounding each phone separately, then adding that up, I'd see .5gb instead of .4gb (.3 for my first phone, .1 for the second, and another .1 for the last one).

Frequent Visitor

This is not on my case.  Last month bill shows 0.5 GB (  0.3 + 0.1 + 0.1), but my actual usage is only around 343 MB.

Most Valued Poster

ComcastKenF wrote:

Just signed up this week for XM service and bought two phones on one account.  I told the rep in the store that 1G per month is plenty for us to share just like we do on T Mobile BUT the invoice has $12 on each phone for 1G. Rut Roh...going to the svc center tomorrow to get ported and activated. Can I get them to remove one of the monthly $12 charges?

Problem Solver

The per-GB charges don't get billed until the end of your service month, and it will be based upon combined usage. I suspect you are looking at the monthly payment for the phone itself or perhaps the taxes/fees on the phone purchase.
Most Valued Poster

-Mike wrote:
The per-GB charges don't get billed until the end of your service month, and it will be based upon combined usage. I suspect you are looking at the monthly payment for the phone itself or perhaps the taxes/fees on the phone purchase.

Thanks.....yep.....I  'get it now'. For us other than the bill for the phones our service will be FREE as we rarely ever use data. Such a deal! 

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 9 in conversation