Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: XFinity Mobile data network latency not within published specs for many users

Regular Contributor

Re: XFinity Mobile data network latency not within published specs for many users

Almighty188 wrote:
So those with the same issue should comment in the thread so at least it shows it's not a isolated incident which will also help support handle other isolated issues instead of a issue that effects everyone.

This is me in the South Bay / Silicon Valley. It's not an isolated incident for Almighty188 only. Ping times always fluctuate. This was one of the better results I obtain tonight. In the past I have gotten pings times a little below 100ms -- e.g. 92 or 93ms -- but most of the time it's above 100ms. 

Screenshot_20180111-173020_1.jpg

It would be nice to have faster latency times. Actually what I find interesting about the traceroute results is the fact that XM doesn't route its traffic over it's own comcast backbone routes. Our results seem to show it's all routed over Verizon lines. If any MVNO, I would have figured XM would be the one that would route its own backend traffic as it has the infrastructure in place to do so.

Official Employee

Thanks for posting your results, Lakino. Those traceroutes are correct. They are done via Verizon's backbone just as other MVNOs do the same on their parent backbones. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Contributor

ComcastKenF wrote:

Thanks for posting your results, Lakino. Those traceroutes are correct. They are done via Verizon's backbone just as other MVNOs do the same on their parent backbones. 

Have a question ComcastKenF, who actually owns/runs the APN Server in this case as there are different type of MVNO's. 

MVNOs are distinguished by their commitment to owning and managing the operational components of the MVNO business model, consisting of:

Access to basic network infrastructure, like base stations, transceivers, home location registers, or switching centres.
Service packaging, pricing, and billing systems, including value-added services like voicemail or missed call notifications.
Consumer-facing aspects like sales, marketing, and customer relationship management activities like customer care or dispute resolution.
Because MVNOs are effectively defined by their lack of spectrum licenses, an MVNO necessarily will need to have agreements in place to access the network of at least one MNO. The type of MVNO is determined by how "thick" or "thin" of a technological layer an MVNO adds over its access to its host MNO's network.

Branded reseller

Sometimes referred to as a "Skinny MVNO", as the reseller almost totally relies on the MNO's facilities. They do not own any network elements, but may own and operate their own customer care, marketing, and sales operations.

Service Provider

Sometimes referred to as a "Light MVNO". The service provider operates its own customer support, marketing, sales and distribution operations, and has the ability to set its tariffs independently from the retail prices set by the MNO.

Enhanced Service Provider

Sometimes referred to as a "Thick MVNO". The MVNO manages a more complete technical implementations with its own infrastructure which allows the MVNO more control over its offerings. These MVNOs have a heavier focus on branding, customer-ownership, and differentiation through added services like data and SIM applications.

Full MVNO

These MVNOs have a network implementation operating essentially the same technology as a mobile network operator. Full MVNOs only lack their own radio networks.

Official Employee

Almighty188, hmmm I do not know which type of MVNO XFINITY Mobile is. I recommend calling XFINITY Mobile to find out which exactly. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Thanks Ken, anyway you can ask around and find out as you work for the company so it's easier for you to get the actual answer instead of talking to someone who will give a random answer.

Official Employee

I'll let you know what I get. 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.