Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Re: Visual Voicemail on iPhone X

Frequent Visitor

Wha....? You’re kidding, right? I have used iPhone visual voicemail over Wi-Fi only with 3 other carriers. So you’re saying that Xfinity Mobile hasn’t figured out how to get visual voicemail over Wi-Fi?? I thought you are touting using WiFi instead of cellular data. That’s the reason I switched. I don’t use Cellular data and don’t plan to use it with Xfinity Mobile either, but I am unable to use visual voicemail, get MMS texts, get group texts or use Wi-Fi calling with my Xfinity mobile IPhone X. I have been able to use these features with only Wi-Fi on 3 other carriers, I never used cellular data. I’ve called and spoken to Tier 1 and 2 about 10 times already. They reprovisioned but still the same. Tier 3 was supposed to call me and they never did. I called back and the rep told me that the ticket was never sent to Tier 3, but he will send it now. So, I’m asking once and for all- do visual voicemail, MMS texts, group texts, Wi-Fi calling work with Wi-Fi (without cellular data)?
Frequent Visitor

You can on every other carrier. Are you saying that you can’t view visual voicemail on Wi-Fi when you switch to Xfinity mobile when you can on other carriers? Why would a company that advertises Wi-Fi data use not learn how to enable visual Voicemail over Wi-Fi? Why would anyone switch if you have to use Cellular data to access features that you can access with Wi-Fi with other carriers?
Official Employee

FedUp33, Visual voicemail content and their notifications populate when cellular data is engaged. That is confirmed by Apple and is not carrier specific (although some carriers can block visual voicemail based on your data plan. 

I browsed the apple forums and found a few confirmations. You can read more about that here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2537392 and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6746282

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

You can view visual voicemail but you may not be able to download new visual voicemail while on WiFi. You also may not receive notifications for the voicemail messages while on WiFi. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Not true. The links you provided me are at least 4 years old and one is 8 years old. Before switching to Xfinity mobile on Feb 3rd 2018, I had an IPhone 6 on the TMobile and never used Cellular Data and visual voicemail worked over Wi-Fi only. Same as AT&T before that and even Virgin Mobile. I called Apple, they said it’s the Carrier that provisions that and you can get visual voicemail over Wi-Fi. You need internet regardless if it’s from cellular or Wi-Fi. And what about MMS and group texts- I have never needed cellular to receive those. I have always received them via Wi-Fi only. Why am I not able to receive MMS and group texts via Wi-Fi with xfinity mobile? Also I thought you had Wi-Fi calling available for iPhones- nope that can’t be activated either.
Frequent Visitor

I was able to get full visual voicemail functionality (notifications, listening to messages by pressing the message button) over Wi-Fi without ever using cellular data on my iPhone 6 with TMobile. Is there a reason xfinity mobile is trying to make their customers use cell data to get basic functions that other carries allow over Wi-Fi? It’s the same with MMS and group texts, I’ve always been able to receive these over Wi-Fi without ever using cellular data. With xfinity mobile I’m told I have to use data to receive mms texts and group texts? This is false advertising if you don’t make this clear up front. Why would anyone switch when you can get all these functions operating with Wi-Fi only on other carriers and don’t have to use data?
Official Employee

FedUp33, if you are using iMessage, you can send the MMS over wifi. 

We do have wiFi calling. it went live for iPhones a few weeks ago. You can get more details about that here: 

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/360000126366/what-is-wifi-calling

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation