Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Re: Poor Cell Signal Strength

New Poster

I am having the same reception issues and I tried the fixes with the same negative result. I previously had a Samsung with Verizon with no issue I now Have a Samsung S8 and reception is so poor it makes my phone basically unusable for phone calls at home.

Official Employee

debby2727, have you done basic troubleshooting like rebooting the phone, removing then reinserting the sim card? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

For some reason I only show 1 bar of signal strength at my home in San Francisco, CA.  Even as I go about the greater Bay Area I typically only have 1-2 bars of signal strength.  When I toggle airplane mode on/off I get up to full signal strength for a few minutes but then it dips back down to about 1 bar of signal strength.  What is going on hear?  Very recently switched to Xfinity Mobile and I am so far very unhappy.  I live in the middle of a huge metropolitian area, signal strength should be strong.  Also the latency issue is a huge annoyance.  Is this just the way it's going to be with Xfinity Mobile or is there a fix?

Regular Visitor

Also in San Francisco (outer sunset). iPhone 5C (originally on Verizon but now unlocked), iOS 10.x (not iOS 11.x so no WIFI Call feature for workaround) Observe the following interesting behavior

1. Did all the improvement attempts : reboot, airplane mode on/off, force PRL update (power off, SIM out, wait few min, SIM in, power on) No difference.

2. Accessed the Field Test Menu (call *3001#12345#* on iPhone) and can see signal dB.

3. At sleepy residential outer sunset neighborhood (6 block from ocean), observe -100+dB so clearly pretty bad signal. Also shows physical tower number and tower ID. Unfortunately couldn't find any websites (cellmapper.net) or apps (open signal) that shows match ID so no idea where the cell tower is. Open signal app figured out carrier is XFINITY MOBILE and pull up all nearby XM towers in its database. Unfortunately, no match to ID/number from Field Test Menu.

4. At commerical inner sunset (19th and Taravel), phone shows -100+dB but when call is connected, instantly improves to -75dB. When call terminates, goes back to -100+dB. This pattern doesn't occur in case #3.

5. Brought the phone to Seattle suburb and see -110dB. But as soon as phone call connection is made, it gets to -80dB and have no problems. This is similar behavior to #4.

Its hard to believe Verizon would be this bad in outer sunset (probably biggest patch of flat terrain in SF). Xfinity Mobile's MVNO agreement with Verizon must get something less than the full Verizon network? Also why do signal go from -100dB to -75dB during the call?

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation