Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Re: LTE Data coverage may not be as good as I thought

Frequent Visitor

I am a new Xfinity Mobile customer in San Francisco, just two weeks. I am a longtime Comcast triple play customer and have used iPhones for past 6 years. Using a new iPhone 8 purchased from Xfinity, my cellular data results are atrocious. I have has Ookla Speedtest fail the latency test, meaning it timed out connecting to the Comcast test server. A completed test this morning shows: Latency/Ping 193, download 2.25mbps, upload 1.25mbps. I have had downloads test as low as 0.29mbps!  My old AT&T tests were at least 10x better. I have had apps stall trying to connect to providers. On 10/9, after testing speeds around my area of the city, I contacted Xfinity Mobile support, and after descriptions of the problem had me reset network settings on my iPhone. This changed nothing. Then I was told by tech support that my Xfinity provided iPhone was possibly defective and that since I had it only 5 days, I could take it to an Apple Store to have it replaced. I did that, but it didn't change any of the issues I was having. The Apple Store tech suggested swapping out the SIM, so I took it to a Comcast store and did that. Ookla tested download speeds around 25mbps in the store, but I found out that they used a femtocell in the cell to boost the signal there. Outside on the street, there was still no improvement. Voice service seems fine - the problem is with data. I am less concerned about the cost the data than the extremely poor data throughput which makes using the phone on the Verizon LTE network a horrible experience. A big carrier like Verizon in a big city like San Francisco certainly must have better service on their data network than we are getting using the Xfinity connection. I am very dissatified with my decision.

Bronze Problem Solver

esteinbock wrote:

I am a new Xfinity Mobile customer in San Francisco, just two weeks. I am a longtime Comcast triple play customer and have used iPhones for past 6 years. Using a new iPhone 8 purchased from Xfinity, my cellular data results are atrocious. I have has Ookla Speedtest fail the latency test, meaning it timed out connecting to the Comcast test server. A completed test this morning shows: Latency/Ping 193, download 2.25mbps, upload 1.25mbps. I have had downloads test as low as 0.29mbps!  My old AT&T tests were at least 10x better. I have had apps stall trying to connect to providers. On 10/9, after testing speeds around my area of the city, I contacted Xfinity Mobile support, and after descriptions of the problem had me reset network settings on my iPhone. This changed nothing. Then I was told by tech support that my Xfinity provided iPhone was possibly defective and that since I had it only 5 days, I could take it to an Apple Store to have it replaced. I did that, but it didn't change any of the issues I was having. The Apple Store tech suggested swapping out the SIM, so I took it to a Comcast store and did that. Ookla tested download speeds around 25mbps in the store, but I found out that they used a femtocell in the cell to boost the signal there. Outside on the street, there was still no improvement. Voice service seems fine - the problem is with data. I am less concerned about the cost the data than the extremely poor data throughput which makes using the phone on the Verizon LTE network a horrible experience. A big carrier like Verizon in a big city like San Francisco certainly must have better service on their data network than we are getting using the Xfinity connection. I am very dissatified with my decision.

You might want to read this thread if you haven't already:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/XFinity-Mobile-data-network-latency-not-within-published...

Official Employee

esteinbock, have you checked the data coverage map for the address where you're seeing latency? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

What data coverage map, where?  

I am in a large city where Verizon service should be highly competitive. Yes, there are many xfinitywifi hotspots in my immediate area, but for about 20% initial attempts to connect fail with 'unable to join network xfinitywifi.' 

Official Employee

esteinbock, well you mentioned them using a cell booster to boost the signal so I assumed there might be an issue with coverage. 

Try putting in your address here and let me know what you get: 

https://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/dotcom/coveragelocator/

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

The entire city of San Francisco is in red, including my neighborhood. The manager of the Xfinity store told me that the femtocell was to "provide the optimum user experience." I mentioned it because that was the only place around the city that I tested the speed and got more than 4 mbps. In order to make a possible comparison with my phone, I asked whether any employees in the store (there were 3 others there at the time) was using Xfinity Mobile and was told they were not. So I have not easy way to rule out issues with my phone, but based on what I've found in the community postings, I seem to be far from alone. 

I can provide you with screenshots of the Ookla Speedtest results but past testing has already used up 0.9 gb of my first month's allocation and when I called to see if I could have that adjusted so I could continue testing, I was told they could not issue me any credit for data used. I am uploading the last test I attempted on 10/19/17 at 12:15p.

IMG_0012.PNG
Contributor

Two things I've noticed on my iPhone 8 on Xfinity Mobile coming from Verizon.

1. Latency is TERRIBLE on Xfinity Mobile.  You tap a link on a website, and it takes about 5 times as long to respond as on Verizon.  This makes your phone feel super slow even though the phone is fast, it's the network thats slow. My typical latency (ping times) when on Verizon was 35-50ms.  On Xfinity Mobile it's 140-250ms.  Even worse is that Xfinity Mobile's terms of service say they'll do 100ms or better- I've never seen a ping less than 140ms on my phone from any location.

2. You know the Verizon 1X network that your phone connects to when you're out in rural areas?  Verizon's coverage that they're known for?  On Xfinity Mobile 1X does not work.  It shows up as "Xfinity Mobile 1X" at the top of my phone screen but calls, texts, and data simply do not work on 1X. 

Simpy put-  Coverage is not as good as Verizon.  Performance is not as good as Verizon.

New Poster

I'm in San Francisco as well and have the exact same issue. Latency is terrible. Comcast needs to find a solution, most likely they'll need to add APN/PDN nodes with local breakouts to the Internet. 

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation