Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

No hotspot at work...cannot get voicemail on app

Most Valued Poster

No hotspot at work...cannot get voicemail on app

We just got Xfinity Mobile and my husband cannot  use voice mail  on the app when he is at work.  I tested it and he got nothing. This is a real problem for us. He does bldg maintenance so is rarely in his office and  does not carry his cell around with him during the work day for several reasons so if I need him or need to tell him something I leave him voicemail ....!   There is no WIFI hotspot close to his building which stunned me when I looked at the map. He works in a very busy commercial and residential area in Fairfax County, Va....Waples Mill Road in zip 22030.  There are dozedns of hotspots kind of nearby  but obviously they are not close enough. I don't know how close they have to be to connect but where his building (and other buildings are) its a huge dead zone.

Yes we know he can call his voicemail manually but he should not have to keep doing that to see if anyone has called since there is an app for that.

Anyone tell me what we can do?

Contributor

Re: No hotspot at work...cannot get voicemail on app

My voicemail also does not work. When people call me and try to leave a message their call just drops instead of going to my voicemail.
Most Valued Poster

Heronn wrote:
My voicemail also does not work. When people call me and try to leave a message their call just drops instead of going to my voicemail.

I don't seem to have a problem leaving my husband voice mail unless its dropping me without me knowing it. He just can't see on the app that I have called . This is a real mess isn't it?

Problem Solver

Doas your husband have mobile data turned off? You need either mobile data or WiFi to get the voicemail notification. If he doesn't want data turned on, you could send a text message.
Most Valued Poster

-Mike wrote:
Doas your husband have mobile data turned off? You need either mobile data or WiFi to get the voicemail notification. If he doesn't want data turned on, you could send a text message.

We have data turned off on both phones as we never use it unless I am in a store that doesn't have WiFi and I need to connect to use a coupon.  With our T Mobile phones he never had a problem connecting to WIFI at work to get voicemail so whats different now I wonder. Its driving me a little nutty.  Yes we could text but he is so used to voicemail and gets it from other people too about  carpentry side jobs he does and from his daughter out of state.  He is not cyber savvy and uses his phone to make calls and can  text a bit and pickup voicemail and thats about it.  No way he would take the time to turn data on just to check voicemail and even if he did agree to do that he would forget and leave it on and thats a no no. I am so frustrated because I am not at his work location to see exactly what he sees or doesn't see. I ask him today if he had a WIFI indicator on the phone and he said yes. I didn't want to go thru the process to check what the WIFI setting said as I need to show him how to get to it in person and then we will try that tomorrow. I am not going to drive 45 minutes to check out what is going on...he needs to learn to do this for himself....god love him but he is spoiled  with me as his IT person. He has an IT dept at work but no way he would dare ask them for help.  I spent hours setting up his new phone to look as much like his old T Mobile phone  as I could. He doesn't like change and got upset when he saw that some app icons like settings  and apps drawer look different and that there was a different process to set up favorites in his contacts. He LOVES his favorite contact list.   I explained to him that this is Android 7.0 and we had 4.4.2 so there are lots of changes he will just have to get used to BUT voicemail is paramount to our daily communication. I am retired and voicemail is how I communicate with him when he is at work. 

Problem Solver

OK, I hope you get the WiFi worked out.

I don't know enough about Android to recommend any exact settings, but I would expect that you can turn on mobile data and then enable only certain applications to use data. That's what I would do. I'd expect that you could keep total usage below the free 100MB threshold. If you go over that, there shouldn't be any way you approach 1.1GB with your described usage pattern. That means at most $12/month between your two phones.
Most Valued Poster

-Mike wrote:
OK, I hope you get the WiFi worked out.

I don't know enough about Android to recommend any exact settings, but I would expect that you can turn on mobile data and then enable only certain applications to use data. That's what I would do. I'd expect that you could keep total usage below the free 100MB threshold. If you go over that, there shouldn't be any way you approach 1.1GB with your described usage pattern. That means at most $12/month between your two phones.

I will look into 'selective ' data usage for certain functions for sure .Its not that big a deal like you said if we have to spend $12 to share 1G but if we can avoid it why not.....lol.  We really have almost zero need for data as I said.

However it is a confirmed WIFI hotspot issue. 

I just  had  my husband look at the WIFI settings on his phone and there was nothing connected but there are 2 available in his building so he called IT and got the password for one of them and BINGO......all the voice mails I left for 2 days popped right up.SO NOW I am really upset that with all those Xfinity hotspots all around him...none are being picked up and not sure if there is a darn thing I can do about it. He may have to get used to signing in to his work WIFI every day and he won't like that  but too bad and in the meantime I will speak to Xfinity Moblie  about the hotspot availability in the area around where he works. I have called them twice already about some questions I had and so far they have been very responsive and very  helpful unlike regular Comcast cust svc. Where he works is in a dense area area in Fairfax Va with office buildings and condos and businesses up the wazoo. T Mobile didn't have hardly any hotspots and it was always connected when he was at work.  ONWARD and thanks for chatting with me about this.

Problem Solver

That's good news on the WiFi. He should also be able to autoconnect to his work WiFi without manually signing in. That should only be necessary when the password changes.
Official Employee

TerriB, glad to hear he was able to connect to a WiFI point at work. Has he set up any apps on his device via XFINITY? In order to connect automatically, I recommend having his username registered somewhere as a temporary file (ie. cache/cookie). I recommend logging into the My Account app, or XFINITY Mobile app on his phone and have him retest. If that doesn't work, he should be able to log into one of the XFINITY Hotspot's once and have that data stored so he can connect without putting in the credentials moving forward. 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Most Valued Poster

ComcastKenF wrote:

TerriB, glad to hear he was able to connect to a WiFI point at work. Has he set up any apps on his device via XFINITY? In order to connect automatically, I recommend having his username registered somewhere as a temporary file (ie. cache/cookie). I recommend logging into the My Account app, or XFINITY Mobile app on his phone and have him retest. If that doesn't work, he should be able to log into one of the XFINITY Hotspot's once and have that data stored so he can connect without putting in the credentials moving forward. 

===

KenF.....you have now passed my knowledge level ! I have no clue what registering username is all about or setting up apps on WIFI. All he needs at this point is to be able to get voicemails when not at home.   When my phone is not in my house it auto connects to Xfinity WIFI and then back to my home WIFI when I return and I never did anything to make that happen. Sometimes it connects to Xfinity WIFI when I am in the house (there is one very closeby) and I have to reconnect to my home WIFI. MIght have something to do with the distance/blockage  from my gateway.  In my husband's case he had to connect to his work WIFI to get voicemail and when he got home last night it auto connected back to home WIFI. This morning when he got to work it auto connected back to his work WIFI so that was a good thing although the signal was poor. He is going to work a side job after work today so I asked him to check to see what the WIFI is connected to at that time. My concern is that there appears to be no Xfinity hotspot close enough to his work location but dozens all around there.  I find that very unusual. How do new hotspots get added to the Xfinity network?

Official Employee

In my husband's case he had to connect to his work WIFI to get voicemail and when he got home last night it auto connected back to home WIFI. This morning when he got to work it auto connected back to his work WIFI so that was a good thing although the signal was poor. 

TerriB, this is good news that it is auto connecting as it should. 

Hotspots are added based on the XFINITY Modems in the area. Customers have the option to turn their modem into a hotspot for others to use. Additionally, some businesses with Comcast internet broadcast the xfinitywifi signal as well. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

ComcastKenF wrote:
In my husband's case he had to connect to his work WIFI to get voicemail and when he got home last night it auto connected back to home WIFI. This morning when he got to work it auto connected back to his work WIFI so that was a good thing although the signal was poor. 

TerriB, this is good news that it is auto connecting as it should. 

Hotspots are added based on the XFINITY Modems in the area. Customers have the option to turn their modem into a hotspot for others to use. Additionally, some businesses with Comcast internet broadcast the xfinitywifi signal as well. 

===

Thats what I thought about how the hotspots get added. Oh well...thanks

Most Valued Poster

Here is the latest on my husband  not being able to  connect to hotspot at work to get voicemail unless he is in a particular part of the property/building on their WIFI . His IT guy said that if he wants to always get notification of voicemail on the app he needs to turn on mobile data. This is what we are trying so hard to avoid.  From past experience when we first got first smartphones (on T Mobile ) data got counted even when not used.  We were not 'educated' on data  vs WIFI at first and knowing we rarely used data turned it off unless we HAD to use it for something specific like a store with no WIFI.

We had T Mobile for  a long time and neither of us ever had a problem being auto connected to WIFI when not at home. Never had to do anything to settings to make this happen. We are not 'cheap' people but are on limited income and doing all we can to reduce monthly $$ output. The whole point of switching to XF Mobile was the low or no cost and  to be able to use WIFI for all functions like we were used to by making use of home WIFI and the  myriad of hotspots out there which is what the reps at the cust svc center assured me would be 'transparent' but that has not worked well as I have posted before.  I just don't understand this.   At this point what we really really need is the ability to get voice mail notification no matter where we are especially for my husband. I am retired and pretty much a home body and happy about that but when I go out I expect hotspot connection and ability to see voicemails.  Now that we know hubby cannot connect everywhere at work like he used to ( no matter where he was on the property including the garage) I asked him to try to connect at a side job he was working last evening in a large established upscale residential development. 'Xfinity WIFI' was not even on the long list of hotspots which shocked me.  So it appears using Hotspots is not going to be useful at all  for him . He has a long commute and needs to be connected.

So.....I need advice. Its not feasible to remember to turn on mobile data every time he wants to check his voicemail and then turn it off soooo.....if he leaves it on all the time  is data usage going to keep going up even when not using data 'on purpose'? I have done a few things on my phone to see what can be done to limit data usage.

1.  turned mobile data on (shows 4G network) and used the 'limit mobile data usage' settings to show  under 1G and activated  the usage alert. 

2. turned on data saver and there were a few apps checked to use unrestricted data access: Voicemail, Xfinity WIFI settings and Xfinity Mobile. AH HA on the voicemail which is the ONLY thing I want unrestricted data acess to but what does it mean when WIFI settings and Xfinitly Mobile are checked to use unrestricted data access especially the WIFI settings? Makes no sense to me.  What should I have 'checked'?

Ok now I need input from you techies as to what the heck to do! I know you guys will come through for me.

AND....What happens if WIFI and mobile data are left on together? I have read all sorts of things on this and I am totally confused.

Bottom line is that we love the LG X charge phone and the  XM service for calls and texts but need the best way to allow voicemail to use mobile data and NOTHING else.

Going to lunch with friend today and will check for hotspots  as I travel. I will have my friend send me voicemail as a test.

FYI..... we can both see/use  voicemail on home hotspot so its not a matter of it being set up properly.

Official Employee

I knew this was true for iPhones (You need cellular data activated to see voicemail notifications) but didn't know it was also true for android. I have the unlimited data option, so I never have it off. 

If you have WiFi and cellular data enabled, wiFi will be prioritized. If there are no wiFi connections available or if the signal is too weak, the cellular data will activate. There is, however a settings where you can have that turned off (the switch to mobile data if wiFi is too weak). 

The best advice I can give is utilizing restricted and unrestricted data usage. When apps are opened, they are using data to pull content from the internet. When they aren't being used, they can run in the background and use data as well (the purpose of this is to pick up where you left off when the app is used again--seamless transition). 

I recommend restricting the data usage for each app on your phone. If you go to settings-->Networks--> Mobile Data, you can see all the apps that have used data. 

From there, you can go into each app and disable background data. you can also disable unrestricted data usage when data saver is enabled. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

ComcastKenF wrote:

I knew this was true for iPhones (You need cellular data activated to see voicemail notifications) but didn't know it was also true for android. I have the unlimited data option, so I never have it off. 

If you have WiFi and cellular data enabled, wiFi will be prioritized. If there are no wiFi connections available or if the signal is too weak, the cellular data will activate. There is, however a settings where you can have that turned off (the switch to mobile data if wiFi is too weak). 

The best advice I can give is utilizing restricted and unrestricted data usage. When apps are opened, they are using data to pull content from the internet. When they aren't being used, they can run in the background and use data as well (the purpose of this is to pick up where you left off when the app is used again--seamless transition). 

I recommend restricting the data usage for each app on your phone. If you go to settings-->Networks--> Mobile Data, you can see all the apps that have used data. 

From there, you can go into each app and disable background data. you can also disable unrestricted data usage when data saver is enabled. 

Ken...thanks for the guidance. Our previous Android phones on T Mobile never had data turned on and we always got voicemail notifications . I get voicemail on my Lg X charge just fine when connected to WIFI. 

I restricted data usage and disabled background on apps as you suggested. Do you have any idea why Xfinity WIFI was checked for unrestricted data usage? Why would WIFI need to use data?

Official Employee

If I'm not mistaken, XFINITY WiFi is the XFINITY WiFi app? That is the app that helps you locate the nearest hotspots. I can see why it wouldn't make sense why it would use cellular data, but I guess if you were in an area with wiFi not close by, then you'd need cellular data to see how close the nearest hotspot is. Might be a reach. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

ComcastKenF wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, XFINITY WiFi is the XFINITY WiFi app? That is the app that helps you locate the nearest hotspots. I can see why it wouldn't make sense why it would use cellular data, but I guess if you were in an area with wiFi not close by, then you'd need cellular data to see how close the nearest hotspot is. Might be a reach. 

It doesn't show as an app but I am going to go with what you surmised and leave it alone

Problem Solver

TerriB wrote:

Yes we know he can call his voicemail manually but he should not have to keep doing that to see if anyone has called since there is an app for that.

I think accessing voicemail through the phone is the best option. It's really not much of anything to do. If you call him and leave a voicemail, his phone will indicate the missed call(s) from you. All he would have to do is hold down the "1" on the dial pad, and the voicemail will say whether or not there's messages, and play them. A pin isn't even required. If his phone doesn't indicate a missed call, he doesn't have to check.

Most Valued Poster

rightfooted wrote:

TerriB wrote:

I think accessing voicemail through the phone is the best option. It's really not much of anything to do. If you call him and leave a voicemail, his phone will indicate the missed call(s) from you. All he would have to do is hold down the "1" on the dial pad, and the voicemail will say whether or not there's messages, and play them. A pin isn't even required. If his phone doesn't indicate a missed call, he doesn't have to check.

COOL! Did not know we could connect to voicemail that way..THANKS so much.

Problem Solver

Problem Solver

I'd stick with having mobile data enabled always. It shouldn't be difficult at all to keep your data under 100MB if you don't intentionally use data. Just monitor the usage meter on your phones carefully at first to make sure there isn't something still using background data (like Google Play).

Another option might be to ask Xfinity to disable Visual Voicemail, but I'm not sure about that. Before Visual Voicemail, phones didn't need mobile data for voicemail notifications. Even if it is possible for Xfinity to change this, I don't know that I'd trust them to get it right. And for me, after using Visual Voicemail, I can't imagine going back to the old voice prompt system.
Most Valued Poster

@ wrote:

Has to be set up first. See #2. https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/221758647/how-do-i-access-voicemail-on-my-android-phone

We have both phones set up for voicemail....did that when I activated phones at Xfinity store.

Most Valued Poster

@ wrote:
I'd stick with having mobile data enabled always. It shouldn't be difficult at all to keep your data under 100MB if you don't intentionally use data. Just monitor the usage meter on your phones carefully at first to make sure there isn't something still using background data (like Google Play).

Another option might be to ask Xfinity to disable Visual Voicemail, but I'm not sure about that. Before Visual Voicemail, phones didn't need mobile data for voicemail notifications. Even if it is possible for Xfinity to change this, I don't know that I'd trust them to get it right. And for me, after using Visual Voicemail, I can't imagine going back to the old voice prompt system

================

Not sure if this is a dup reply to you....I have lost ALL track of where I have been on here today and what I have posted....lol. Reading so much about the data thing I am in an abyss. 

We are weighing options but think maybe having hubby leave his darn data on is going to be the best bet to assure he gets voicemail.  I am home so much and don't turn my cell on unless I am away from home and rarely even get an incoming cell call so not too concerned. I want to keep it simple for hubby so he doesn't have to do anything but use the voicemail app. I will restrict what I can on his phone from running in the background, having unrestricted data access...etc and then monitor carefully.  What happens if Google play is disabled in background.....will we still get app update notifications?

Speaking of visual voicemail (called transcription now apparently on my LG X charge)...we keep getting 'no trascription available' even when on home WIFI. Hubby got it when he took phone inside at work closer to the hotspot so he could access voicemail at all on WIFI. I left myself a message while near my home modem yesterday and could read it and then it disappeared.  Both phones have transcription enabled.  

Official Employee

I would assume if Google Play is disabled in the background, you wouldn't get app update notification unless your run Google Play in the foreground. Not really sure. 

When you mention transcription, are you referring to voicemail to text options in the visual voicemail app? 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

wrote:

I would assume if Google Play is disabled in the background, you wouldn't get app update notification unless your run Google Play in the foreground. Not really sure. 

When you mention transcription, are you referring to voicemail to text options in the visual voicemail app? 

KenF

I agree about the Google Play issue! Just don't want it to gobble up data since there are so many apps to update.

YES.....on my LG X Charge voicemail normally shows up with ability to listen or read as text. Its the 'normal' voicemail app that came with the phone and/or XM service. I have not added any other voicemail app.

Official Employee

Gotcha. The Visual Voicemail application requires a connection to the cellular data network. Mobile data is needed to change transcription settings. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Problem Solver

I don't know Android very well, but I believe you should still get the Google Play app update notifications in the background when on WiFi. As long as you haven't added restrictions to your WiFi networks, those Data Saver background restrictions should only apply when on mobile data. It shouldn't affect the behavior when on WiFi.
Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation