Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

New S9+ on Xfinity cell network

Frequent Visitor

New S9+ on Xfinity cell network

Just purchased a new S9+ from Xfinity and cancelled my Verizon account. Will probably be going back to Verizon. Went to WV with a few friends this weekend. Of the five people 4 had Verizon Coverage and I had Xfinity. Needless to say all 4 of the Verizon phones worked and mine did not. There phones did say extended coverage, but who cares "they worked". Back home I had problems with the internet. Could not get on it when I was in my car. Think the problem was that the phone wanted to connect to the Wifi in my car.  My car is a GM car with WiFi. After the trial period I did not go with the WiFi in my car. I think it is still there, but does not connect to the internet. Unfortunately the S9+ connects to this WiFi and I can not get internet. If I can't get internet when I am in a big city and can't get cell coverage when I get in rural America then I need to get off of that network.  

Contributor

Re: New S9+ on Xfinity cell network

@RockSprings wrote:

Just purchased a new S9+ from Xfinity and cancelled my Verizon account. Will probably be going back to Verizon. Went to WV with a few friends this weekend. Of the five people 4 had Verizon Coverage and I had Xfinity. Needless to say all 4 of the Verizon phones worked and mine did not. There phones did say extended coverage, but who cares "they worked". Back home I had problems with the internet. Could not get on it when I was in my car. Think the problem was that the phone wanted to connect to the Wifi in my car.  My car is a GM car with WiFi. After the trial period I did not go with the WiFi in my car. I think it is still there, but does not connect to the internet. Unfortunately the S9+ connects to this WiFi and I can not get internet. If I can't get internet when I am in a big city and can't get cell coverage when I get in rural America then I need to get off of that network.  

You have two different things going on here.  1st, let's deal with your lack of extended coverage. On your S9+ go into Settings/Connections/Mobile Networks and make sure that "Data roaming" is enabled.

Regarding the WiFi in your GM car, since you don't use it you should disable it broadcasting the SSID (network name).  You need to turn it off in both the OnStar app (which you'll have to install on your phone if you don't already have it), and on the OnStar website.

That should solve both problems you encountered.

Also, if you have any additional problems with your Xfinity Mobile device or service, there is a dedicated forum for that here > https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/bd-p/XM

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for getting back to me. Hopefully the changes will work. I had gone to an XFinity store and told them of my problems and they did not give me any direction. I think they need some additional training. All they told me was to go back to my original carrier. 

Official Employee

Thanks for getting back to me. Hopefully the changes will work. I had gone to an XFinity store and told them of my problems and they did not give me any direction. I think they need some additional training. All they told me was to go back to my original carrier. 

RockSprings, thanks not the experience I want for you. Apologies for that experience. 

NEWcam30era, gives pretty solid advice on the forums. Please let me know if you were able to try out the suggestions. Let us know if they worked. 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

KenF,

I have done what was suggested and have not had any problems. I don't think I have been in any areas where I would have needed roaming since my last visit to West Virginia. Did turn the roaming on and it had been off so hoping that my next trip to WV I will have coverage.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation