Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

NEW ACTIVATION DEFINED - PLEASE - & other questions

Contributor

NEW ACTIVATION DEFINED - PLEASE - & other questions

Browsing the forums there seems to be much confusion regarding the BYOD program.

'NEW ACTIVATION' is frequently mentioned but never diffinnetively explained or maybe I've just overlooked it.

I've a cell # that's been with me for 20+ years I believe and does 'porting' that number with my own device constitute a 'NEW ACTIVATION'? I've seen threads that seem to hint NOT, I've seen threads that mention when 'porting' - features function for sometimes several days and then were shut down because of an 'inventory' of the system. 

I was told that MMS didn't require a 'data' connection and now I see mentioned that it seems to, so how does that MMS usage refect towards the DATA charges. I've nearly never exceeded the 100MB limit that's mentioned as 'FREE' for my cell usage. My cell is an emergency device and used as such. If there's random updates that Comcast forces through DATA connections it seems very easy for them to push you beyond that threshhold.

An example maybe, during a MMS transmission Comcast catches the connection and then does changes/updates etc.

The 5S appears to be a BYOD only if it was a Verizon originally but my 6S from ATT is. Is there a simple explanation for that? 

For some (me included) the "STORE" isn't around the corner. A 30+ mile drive for me for 'maybe' answers!! Chat doesn't seem to be reliable either, it seems that it could if there wasn't the 'required' script response and they were able to get directly to the question presented.

Nothing with Comcast for me has been easy regarding equipment and devices. Modem, cable cards & telephony none easy! I was hoping maybe Mobile was going to be a first!!

Official Employee

Re: NEW ACTIVATION DEFINED - PLEASE - & other questions

wvzr1, thanks for posting. 

1. It depends when the number is being ported. If a device has a number ported during the activation process, that is considered a new activation. Sometimes people port numbers after activating their device so that wouldn't count as a new activation. 

New activation is considered as the time when you create an establish an XFINITY Mobile account. Activations always require a new number or a port from a previous carrier. 

BYOD only works for new lines of service and cannot work with preexisting lines or BYOD "upgrades". 

2. MMS requries data connection to send the message. WiFi or cellular. Without an internet connection, MMS will fail. MMS utilizes a small amount of data to send and receive content. If you are concerned about data consumption, you can use WiFi. 

3. BYOD is considered to be any device not purchased from XFINITY Mobile. 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

ComcastKenF -

Thanks for the information. I've seen comments that the MMS doesn't work with WiFi? IS IT MAYBE - it will only work with an XFINITY "HOT-SPOT" and maybe not with the user's or any other WiFi? It might be interesting for those that say NOT to try with XFINITY "HOT-SPOT" in comparison to their "user" WiFi or other(cafe/coffee shop/retailer)

I believe I sorted the 5S thing - I didn't realize the A1533 was built either with (GSM) or (CDMA).

Problem Solver

True MMS uses the cell data network but it doesn't count against your monthly data. See this thread for more details:
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/If-I-am-on-WiFi-and-send-a-text-message-with-a-pix-am-I...

If you currently use less than 100MB, you shouldn't have any problem with Xfinity. Xfinity doesn't push any big updates to your phone. Apple is the one to watch, but that shouldn't change by switching carriers. Just manage which apps (like App Store) are allowed to use cellular data under Settings-Cellular.
Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation