Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

LG X Charge isn't automatically connecting to home or wifi hotspots

New Poster

Re: LG X Charge isn't automatically connecting to home or wifi hotspots

The problem is that if you have mobile data turned on, and your device does not automatically log in to Xfinity Hotspots as you drive around, or even sit at home, then you will start incurring mobile data charges. It's not a problem if you are on the $45 unlimited plan, but if you are paying by the GB and you sit at home to watch a few YouTube videos, instantly you are shelling out $12 for going over your 100MB data cap. After that, a few times a month of not connecting and you are running up a $40 bill in no time. 

If the Wi-Fi service connected accurately, that wouldn't happen. It's very much like the Wi-Fi-Gate that the iPhone go into where you needed to shut off the "go to cellular data when my Wi-Fi connection is weak" type thing. Apple set that up for the carriers to rake in some extra money and it wasn't until they got caught doing it that they said it was easy to turn off. It's great protection for poor Wi-Fi signals, but at the same time, for those not on an unlimited plan, it gets pricey!

Most Valued Poster

I doubt there will be a "fix" for this issue. My sense is Xfinity hopes to increase the coverage of their hotspots so that you will be connected when you are stationary but not on the move. To make the wifi hotspots hand off like a cell tower would probably be a very expensive improvement. Also, automatically connecting to  hotspots would log many more people who are just walking by than want to actually use the wifi so it would clog the bandwidth.

Frequent Visitor

In my case it won't automatically connect to our home WiFi network. I don't want to connect to XFINITY WiFi, just our home network. It is happening at our house and a family member's, and probably would happen to any other network too.

Is there ever going to be an official update regarding this issue?
Valued Contributor

Coaxial wrote:
In my case it won't automatically connect to our home WiFi network. I don't want to connect to XFINITY WiFi, just our home network. It is happening at our house and a family member's, and probably would happen to any other network too.

Is there ever going to be an official update regarding this issue?

I do not think there will be any update for the WiFi issues on your X-Charge as my two X-Charge phones are working great and do not have the problems you're experiencing. 

Most Valued Poster

SBM17 Your X Charge automatically connects to wifi hotspots when you are out of the house? My phone never does that. I get a message there is a wifi hotspot available but then I have to manually  tell it to connect.

Silver Problem Solver

I have three saved wifi settings. My home wifi, the secure Xfinity wifi and xfinitywifi. Lots of hotspots in my area, driving around, I notice that the phone connects to whatever is available. If it's out of range then there is no connection. (mobile data switched off).

Sometimes when home, it does connect to xfinitywifi, but there is a strong signal from that hotspot. I always check which one I'm on, then click on the home wifi if it's not on that.

Most Valued Poster

Paraniod wrote:

I have three saved wifi settings. My home wifi, the secure Xfinity wifi and xfinitywifi. Lots of hotspots in my area, driving around, I notice that the phone connects to whatever is available. If it's out of range then there is no connection. (mobile data switched off).

Sometimes when home, it does connect to xfinitywifi, but there is a strong signal from that hotspot. I always check which one I'm on, then click on the home wifi if it's not on that.

Paranoid is your phone stock or do you have the Xfinity Wifi hotspot app or any other app that helps the phone to connect?

Most Valued Poster

Just ran out and was at a store where I checked my connection and I two options, XFINITY and xfinitywifi. I selected XFINITY and the report said I had a strong connection (72mbps). I ran the speed test and got a 17Mbps. Then I connected to xfinitywifi got the same strong signal report and ran the speedtest again. Got a similar 17Mbps then I tried to reconnect to the XFINITY connection and it wouldn't let me in. Said there was an authentication issue. So I went back to the open xfinitywifi.

Interesting experience. I had to manually connect to both of them but why did it let me into the XFINITY connection the first time and not the second time?

Silver Problem Solver

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Paranoid is your phone stock or do you have the Xfinity Wifi hotspot app or any other app that helps the phone to connect

I do have the hotspot app, I believe it downloads the security cert required for XFINITY wifi, but not sure. That's all I have.

Most Valued Poster

I'm going to download the app and go back to the same spot and see what happens. Thanks

Valued Contributor

WindsurfMaui wrote:

SBM17 Your X Charge automatically connects to wifi hotspots when you are out of the house? My phone never does that. I get a message there is a wifi hotspot available but then I have to manually  tell it to connect.

Right, whether I was at Walmart, Target, convenience store, gas station... The X-Charge phones just held on tight to the Xfinitywifi it detected.

Most Valued Poster

Well I don't see anything in the app besides a map that tells me where to position myself to get a signal. But I will run a test in a couple of hours. I will open my phone to the wifi page and walk by known wifi spots, with the phone in front of my face like so many people seem to be doing these days, and see if it connects automatically.  :>)

Most Valued Poster

I saw no real difference in my LG X Charge connecting to  xfinitywifi hotspots when I went out to test after downloading the Xfinity Hotspot app.  I encountered a couple of XFINITY hotspots and they didn't let me in

Silver Problem Solver

So if you look at the available WI-FI networks in the settings, top right corner three vertical dots, press that / press advanced WI-FI, is the setting  Auto=Connect to XFINITY WIFI on? Does it make a difference?

Most Valued Poster

Yes I am set to auto connect as you described. The only time it auto connects consistenly is when I come home. It auto connects to my 2.4 freq and I have to switch it over to 5.0. Only once outside of the house did I connect to xfinitywifi and I'm not sure I was connected because it said my connect speed was 150 and that is a 5.0 freq not the normal xfinity hotspot freq.

Silver Problem Solver

Hotspots are dual band, they have to be within range, sometimes the signal is too weak, not sure what else is going on sorry,

One thing you can do at home is press on the 2.4 home connection and then forget it. Then it should only connect to the 5GHz wireless. (If they have seperate names). Hope that helps....

Valued Contributor

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Yes I am set to auto connect as you described. The only time it auto connects consistenly is when I come home. It auto connects to my 2.4 freq and I have to switch it over to 5.0. Only once outside of the house did I connect to xfinitywifi and I'm not sure I was connected because it said my connect speed was 150 and that is a 5.0 freq not the normal xfinity hotspot freq.

Have you tried the app WiFi Prioritizer I mentioned above, disable the option "Auto connect to Xfinitywifi when saved connections are not available" and let WiFi Prioritizer manage the connections? You need to arrange the connections in the app WP, the higher ones have more priority.

Most Valued Poster

Just tonight I was putzing with the LG even though there is no SIM card in it.  I put the phone in sleep mode and then a few moments later woke the phone and no wifi connection.  A check in settings shows both 2.4 and 5 ghz disabled and no auto connect. Why? This has been an ongoing issue for me and because of it, mostly, I won't use the phone.  I wish this disabling of wifi signals for no apparent reason would get fixed as it has essentially ruined an otherwise really nice little phone.  

I tried wifi prioritizer before and it made no difference.  This phone seems to have a mind of its own in regards to wifi connectivity.  

Most Valued Poster

I had the XFINITY WIFI Hotspot app  and it didn't help. So I took it off. But I just downloaded it again b/c I ran into the XFINITY wifi hotspots and had an authentication problem. So I am trying to solve this. Does anyone know why I'm getting an authentication problem?  When signed into Xfinity do I have to sign in as the main account holder or can I sign in as an unrestricted secondary user? I know Xfinity main website has a problem in certain areas when other users sign in rather than the main  account holder.

Most Valued Poster

WindsurfMaui wrote:

I had the XFINITY WIFI Hotspot app  and it didn't help. So I took it off. But I just downloaded it again b/c I ran into the XFINITY wifi hotspots and had an authentication problem. So I am trying to solve this. Does anyone know why I'm getting an authentication problem?  When signed into Xfinity do I have to sign in as the main account holder or can I sign in as an unrestricted secondary user? I know Xfinity main website has a problem in certain areas when other users sign in rather than the main  account holder.

Yesterday at the Olive Garden I got the same thing.  I had already downloaded the app and signed in.  My phone would not connect.  I connected to the OG open wifi network with no issues.  

Most Valued Poster

When I downloaded the app it didn't ask me to sign in. I remember signing in when I set up the phone so I assume that original sign in is allowing me to get to any wifi hotspot. BUT then why isn't it allowing me into the XFINITY hotspots? I have the auto connect turned on. I think I may have to talk to one of the Comcast employees so they can look at it from their end.

Contributor

WindsurfMaui wrote:

When I downloaded the app it didn't ask me to sign in. I remember signing in when I set up the phone so I assume that original sign in is allowing me to get to any wifi hotspot. BUT then why isn't it allowing me into the XFINITY hotspots? I have the auto connect turned on. I think I may have to talk to one of the Comcast employees so they can look at it from their end.

Don't know if this will help you.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/secure-vs-open-xfinity-wifi/

Most Valued Poster

Lakino wrote:

Don't know if this will help you.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/secure-vs-open-xfinity-wifi/

Arrrrrggggg. OK I think I may have found what the problem is, for me anyway. AND I hate when companies bury an important point deep in there documentation instead of having it in large print right at the front of the process. 

Thanks Lakino, I clicked on the link and then read each part and clicked on each additional link and way deep down  buried in the documentation it says that using a swipe pattern to unlock your phone will prevent access to XFINITY secure sites. So I switched to a pin code. (I hate pin codes) and will go out tomorrow and see if I can now get access to XFINITY secure hotspots and if my phone starts to auto connect to regular xfinitywifi hotspots as well.

Most Valued Poster

So I thought I had found the problem to my getting automatically connected (see above post). No such luck. As a matter of fact things got worse. When I went out on the street to both XFINITY and xfininitywifi hotspots my phone did not automatically connect or even try to connect. Both types of sites said there was a fair to good signal strength so I tried to connect to the XFINITY site but it didn't connect then the system tried to connect to xfinitywifi site but before it could start the XFINITY site moved to the top and tried to connect again. Generally whenever I tried to connect to XFINITY it would try 4 or 5 times, stopping the xfinitywifi site from connecting before it gave a message authenication problems. Then it stopped trying to connect to either site. Sometimes I could then manually connect to the xfinitywifi site but sometimes I couldn't connect to xfinitywifi even though I had connected to the xfinitywifi site many times before when out walking. Eventually after trying this at 4 or 5 locations that I usually can manually connect to my phone seemed to lock up and I couldn't connect to any wifi. I love my new phone but at that moment I was ready to throw it against a wall. So I uninstalled the Xfinity wifi hotspot app and the phone still wouldn't connect. I restarted the phone and still no connections and then about 10 minutes later I was able to connect to a xfinitywifi hotspot and it seemed back to normal.

I will call in later and see  if they can tell me why I am unable to connect to XFINITY. It must have something to do with official log in names etc.But I am sure they will resolve it, then I will try to give it another test. If that doesn't work then I will try some none xfinity apps.

Frequent Visitor

We are still having the problem where the LG X Charge won't automatically connect to a saved home WiFi network.

The Auto-Connect to XFINITY WiFi is turned off, the app isnt installed, and we'd like to keep it that way. It is happening both on a purchased modem and wireless router as well as on a Comcast supplied Wireless Gateway.

We are getting close to $48 in data when that should be $12 at the most. Nobody on our plan is advanced with technology other than myself so two aren't even aware of the issue, one is trying to remember to manually connect, my phone is off, and the last line is using a Verizon phone (not guaranteed to work, but is working fine).
Most Valued Poster

I have two LG X Charges. The one I am paying for on the monthly plan can't seem to connect to external Xfinity wifi hotspots automatically and won't connect to the XFINITY secure wifi hotspots at all. The second phone, that was bought during the sale and is totally paid off, will connect to the XFINITY secure wifi hotspots automatically or the regular xfinitywifi hotspots if they are the only ones available. Now the two phones are set up identically, all apps, settings, sign ins etc and yet the first phone won't connect. I can't explain why and after many hours of testing I still can't find  a solution. I get an error message authentication problem so I am trying to find out what section of software on the phones is associated with authentication. I know ComcastKenF is  looking into this and I believe we are waiting  to hear back from a ticket he has put in.

Most Valued Poster

I'm on the verge of giving up on this issue. There doesn't seem to be any logic to why it works or doesn't work. But I did read in the documentation an answer to one of my questions. In the XfinityMobile app FAQ's they tell how to answer some of the queestions in the box that opens when trying to log into the XFINITY secure wifi hotspot. the answers are GTC, TTLS, Then it asks for Idenity. I am stuck here because I don't know exactly what kind of idenity it is looking for. I have used screen user ID, email address but I still can't get connected. I also believe that with LG phones you need to use a pin or password to get through the lock screen and not a swipe.

Frequent Visitor

Agreed -- the phone even states that if you turn on Hotspots the app will drain your battery life.  Also, Wifi to Hotspots and Hotspots back to Wifi was not automatic, at least I did not think it was.  I have Wifi most often in use at my house, then switch to data when I am driving.  If I am stationary, then I tap the Hotspots.

I thought the automatic was if you have both Data and Hotspots turned on, the cell will switch back and forth between both sources, in order to reduce data usage.

I suppose you could have both Wifi and Data running at home, which I often do, and the phone would switch back and forth as well.

I have had no problems with the LG X switching between data and hotspots, or data and wifi.  I also have all other apps minimized or turned off,a nd data saver turned on, and battery saver turned on... so as far as rating on the LG X goes, it is a superior phone, in my view, because of the quick recharge time, the longevity of the battery, and its clear quality phone/audio

Most Valued Poster

I agree I love the LG X Charge. I have no complaints about the phone. My only problems are with Xfinity secure hotspots. But i am about to give up on them because I just can't figure out how to get connected.

The other problem I have is there doesn't seem to be very many secure hotspots anyway. More trouble than the few secure hotspots are worth.

I would like to make a suggestion to Xfinity on the hotspot app. In places where you have the hotspot red dot that is for multiple hotspots instead of having to enlarge the dot to show the hotspot with the lock icon put the lock icon on the number size dot so we know which dot to enlarge to view the exact location of the secure website. In Boston the map is just covered red with dots so many it is hard to find a secure hotspot if needed.

Frequent Visitor

It doesn't look like an update has been posted here by an employee yet. Maybe we need to create another post since this seems to be getting overlooked?

I'm trying to be patient and will give it a little more time, but if they don't even acknowledge this issue I might need to dispute charges with my credit card company and get everyone moved over to another company. It's really going to upset family because everyone is all set with their phone and service.
Most Valued Poster

Coaxial, actually I had DM'd ComcastKenF and he put in a ticket to Tier 2 and we are waiting for a reply. We will post it here. 

Frequent Visitor

Support via Messenger has had a ticket open for me since September 12th without any response yet.
Most Valued Poster

Coaxial wrote:
Support via Messenger has had a ticket open for me since September 12th without any response yet.

Yes they are just over whelmed with a variety of issues and they have probably prioritized the problems trying to get people phones and connected as top priority and the other stuff like us as lower down priority b/c it is more paperwork oriented and not critical to getting people hooked up. But I am sure they will get to us eventually.  

Most Valued Poster

WindsurfMaui wrote:

I'm on the verge of giving up on this issue. There doesn't seem to be any logic to why it works or doesn't work. But I did read in the documentation an answer to one of my questions. In the XfinityMobile app FAQ's they tell how to answer some of the queestions in the box that opens when trying to log into the XFINITY secure wifi hotspot. the answers are GTC, TTLS, Then it asks for Idenity. I am stuck here because I don't know exactly what kind of idenity it is looking for. I have used screen user ID, email address but I still can't get connected. I also believe that with LG phones you need to use a pin or password to get through the lock screen and not a swipe.

You are doing it correct. Select TTLS as the EAP Method and GTC as the Phase 2 authentication. Next, sign in using your XFINITY username and password.  If you still cannot get connected it is the LG phone and trust me there is nothing you can do. Nothing.  Today I had no problem at the dentist office logging in to xfinitywifi automatically with my S5.  Later, I drove down the road from my house where there is a XFINITY hot spot.  The special one all in caps.  Connected there too.  

My advice is, if connecting to xfinity hot spots is as important to anyone as it is to me, lose the crappy LG and get a real phone.  Not trying to be a wise guy, but I have spent hours trying to get that LG working right and it has frustrated me to the point I will use it for target practice once BYOD is official.  

Contributor

TiredRetired wrote:

WindsurfMaui wrote:

You are doing it correct. Select TTLS as the EAP Method and GTC as the Phase 2 authentication. Next, sign in using your XFINITY username and password.  If you still cannot get connected it is the LG phone and trust me there is nothing you can do. Nothing.  Today I had no problem at the dentist office logging in to xfinitywifi automatically with my S5.  Later, I drove down the road from my house where there is a XFINITY hot spot.  The special one all in caps.  Connected there too.  

My advice is, if connecting to xfinity hot spots is as important to anyone as it is to me, lose the crappy LG and get a real phone.  Not trying to be a wise guy, but I have spent hours trying to get that LG working right and it has frustrated me to the point I will use it for target practice once BYOD is official.  

That's interesting. The LG X Charge for me connects much better to xifinity public wifi hot spots than my 'real phone' iPhone 7 Plus. I think Apple stinks when it comes to connecting to wifi hotspots. Android OS does it better, and since LG uses Android OS, it connects fine for me. I do have a lot of problems connecting with my iPhone 7 Plus where my LG X has no problems. 

Most Valued Poster

Well I can't blame the LG. At least I don't think I can blame the LG. I have 2 LG X Charges. the one I am paying for on the monthly plan has never connected to the XFINITY secure hotspot. The one bought for $1 did connect to the XFINITY secure hotspot immediately originally. Then when I wanted to learn how to answer the questions to the XFINITY secure hotspot box I marked the XFINITY secure hotspot connection on the 2nd phone "forget". Hoping when I tried to reconnect to that secure hotspot and the question box opened it would show the answers that I could then use on phone 1. Unfortunately when the box opened on phone 2 it didn't show the answers only the questions. Since then I can't get either phone 1 or phone 2 to connect to the XFINITY secure hotspot.!!!

One of the problems seems to have disappeared. I no longer get the "authentication problem" reply. It just tried to connect over and over but never does. Second, I'm not sure what the right answer is when it asks for identity. Is that the email address or the nick name? and no matter what I put in as an answer it has never asked me for a password. I have tried both email address and nick name for both primary account holder and other secondary users and nothing works.

So I can't blame the LG because the 2nd phone did work perfectly before I messed it up. The documentation says that sometimes another app may be causing the problem but I have no idea which app it can be and I really don't want to delete all the apps to find out. Besides the two phones were set up identically and the 2nd phone did work immediately when I first tested it so I doubt it is another app that is causing the problem.

Most Valued Poster

I have tested 5 phones at my house recently both mine and phones belonging to friends.  What I have discovered is that by far the LG phones have the weakest wifi radios on the lot.  Outside, about 75 feet away from the routher on our patio the LG is the only phone that could not lock on to the 5 ghz signal.  It actually did connect, but says no internet.  Changing to 2.4 it would get a connection and internet.  All other phones had no problem locking on to both signals and giving an internet connection.  

I realize this is a very unscientific study, but I do find it interesting.  Of the fact that some manufacturers must put better radios in their phones then others I have no doubt.  Of the fact that LG must put cheap radios in theirs i am beginning to think I have no doubt.  Of course, the other phones tested were either iPhones or Samsung Galaxys or a Nokia, so much better quality components from the git go so maybe this may not be a fair test, but it tells me a lot.  

BTW, my wifes LG will not connect to xfinity either and she has hardly any apps installed at all and practially not even used her phone since she got it.  She seems to like it well enough but prefers to use her tablet at home and only cares about phone or text functions and saving money with it.  Having paid our monthly taxes in advance when we both got our phones, our monthly bill for September was a big fat zero.  Nado.  Zip.  No money.  Excellent cell phone coverage, many text messages and phone calls and no money.  Of that, I have no complaints. Smiley Happy

The correct answer is your Comcast username.  That is what I used on my S5 and it worked perfectly.  Why doesn't it just say username, instead of identity?  Why make theings more confusing?  

Most Valued Poster

TR Thank you for that info that I should use the user name on the XFINITY secure wifi hotspot log in. Will it work with all users or only the primary account user or the name of the person on the credit card like the XfinityMobile app? Does it then require a password. I never get as far as a password.

I can't tell if the LG radio for the 5.0Mhz is weak b/c these are the first 5.0 freq phones I have owned. I do see that when I walk in the door the phone 1 prefers the 2.4 and phone 2 will get 5.0 automatically sometimes. Other times I have to log in. I'm starting to feel like phone 1 is a lemon and Phone 2 is the standard.

My reading of the documentation that in order to use the XFINITY secure wifi hotspots the phone must use a pin or password code to get through the lock screen and not a swipe or pattern. Have you tested this and is it true? Thanks

Most Valued Poster

In wifi advanced settings, what is Passpoint? And is this supposed to be turned on?

Also in advanced settings what is "Install certificates" Should these be installed?

Most Valued Poster

WindsurfMaui wrote:

TR Thank you for that info that I should use the user name on the XFINITY secure wifi hotspot log in. Will it work with all users or only the primary account user or the name of the person on the credit card like the XfinityMobile app? Does it then require a password. I never get as far as a password.

I can't tell if the LG radio for the 5.0Mhz is weak b/c these are the first 5.0 freq phones I have owned. I do see that when I walk in the door the phone 1 prefers the 2.4 and phone 2 will get 5.0 automatically sometimes. Other times I have to log in. I'm starting to feel like phone 1 is a lemon and Phone 2 is the standard.

My reading of the documentation that in order to use the XFINITY secure wifi hotspots the phone must use a pin or password code to get through the lock screen and not a swipe or pattern. Have you tested this and is it true? Thanks

You are welcome. I tried to post a picture of the proper procedure from Comcast a few posts back but it seems to have gone bye bye. I use the primary user name and it worked for me.  I think sometimes the 2.4 ghz signal is stronger and will get picked up first when I come back home, pulling in the driveway so usually my phone logs onto that signal as it is the first it sees.  I use wifi prioritizer and set 5.0 as #1 and 2.4 as #2.  After a minute, wifi will disconnect and re log onto the 5.0 signal. The app works great in that regard, just does not do a thing to help the LG log onto anything.

Yes, yes, you need to have a PIN code in order for the Xfinity hot spots to work.  I found this out on my wife's phone right off the bat.  I got a message indicating it.  Funny thing, is once I set up a code for her, it did not help, except the message went away.  

I do not use any data.  If I cannot find a wifi connection when out, I do not connect to the internet.  Having a good wifi capable phone is a must for me. I would give up tons of other features in order to have that if I needed it.  I so wanted the LG to work for me.  Bigger screen, outstanding battery, great call quality is awesome.  Without a reliable wifi, it is useless to me.  Others with a unlimited plan, I am sure not so much.  Cheers  

I tried Wifi Passpoint both ways and made no diff    Passpoint is a solution to streamline network access and eliminate the need for users to find and authenticate a network each time they log on.  In essence, it creates a more cellular experince when dealing with wifi hotspots.  One would think the xfinity hot spots would be thusly certified and it would be needed to have this box checked, but I have yet to see this anywhere in any official Comcast documentation.

Most Valued Poster

Thanks TR.  Yes the 2.4 freq is stronger but slower and the 5.0 is weaker but runs much faster.

I may try the prioritizer app if I can ever get connected. Thanks for the info about PIN codes. I hate pin codes b/c I have to pay more attention but I am willing to use them if it will get me connected to secure wifi hotspots and if there are enough secure hotspots in my normal travel radius to make it worth while.

I hadn't thought of it before b/c I really like these LG X Charge so much but I should load the Xfinity Wifi hotspot app to my old LG K7 that I used with T-Mobile before I switched over to XfinityMobile. Maybe it will be able to connect to the secure wifi hotspots and I can use what I learn from that to help fix the X Charge.

Official Employee

Hey All, 

I like what's being discussed here. A WiFi prioritizing app would definitely help if you're seeing this issue. I have one on my phone. Also running a device in safe mode (if you have android) might work too. 

If you've done factory resets and still don't see a change, there might be a few diagnostics I can run to improve on the experience. Just let me know by sending me a private message so I don't miss it.

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Most Valued Poster

OK so if you have read the above thread you will know I have two activated LG X Charge phones. Phone 1 had (does now) never been able to log into a XFINITY secure hotspot. No matter what I tried. While phone 2 logged into the secure hotspot automatically when I get in signal area. The two phones were set up exactly alike. And I couldn't explain why one worked and one didn't. Then in trying to see the log in  settings on Phone 2 so I could try to duplicate it on phone 1 I messed up phone 2 and it didn't log in either. So I gave up for a week.

At this point I found the log in box and answered the top 3 questions. I didn't know and couldn't get the box to open larger to see I needed to add a password as well. So both phones wouldn't log into an XFINITY secure hotspot but would log into a xfinitywifi hotspot but only manually. I localed 2 XFINITY secure hotspots in my area even though they don't show on the Xfinity Hotspot app (????) but after many tries I gave up. Then a couple of days ago Phone 2 logged into the XFINITY secure hotspot without prompting. I tried phone 1 and it too logged into the secure hotspot without prompting. I then left the hotspot area and when I came back phone 2 would log in but Phone 1 again wouldn't log into the secure hotspot. Again no idea why. (Yes I have been carrying around two phones for the last month trying to solve this problem) Then for the first time I was able to open the whole log in box on phone 1 and entered my password and was able to log into the secure hotspot. Now phone 2 logs in automatically and Phone 1 will log in sometimes automatically and sometimes I have to add in the log in info. Again no idea why but I have been able to log in multiple times so I consider Phone 1 to be as cured as I could hope for. 

Still no idea why two identical phones act differently. Also, I previously thought I had to use a Pin or Password unlock process for access top a XFINITY secure hotspot (according to how I interpreted the documentation) but this is not true. I have a pattern unlock process on both phones and each has logged into the secure hotspot now.

So both phones can gain access. But no idea why the hotspot app doesn't show either XFINITY secure site on my map.

Official Employee

But no idea why the hotspot app doesn't show either XFINITY secure site on my map.

Can you explain this further? Are you saying the hotspot app is missing an xfinitywifi hotspot location? 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

Interesting, my S5 does not log into the XFINITY hot spot anymore.  It will log into the xfinitywifi hot spots automaticially.  I stopped into the Xfinity Store and the rep was very good, but had no answers.  He was very surprised to see me running the S5 with the SIM from my LG, but not answers why XFINITY does not connect.  

Official Employee

TiredRetired, we do not support this device so certain features won't be accessible. It's pretty cool that it functions otherwise, though. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

I consider my issue with logging into XFINITY secure wifi hotspots solved. Thanks for everyone's help. I don't know why my Phone 1 wouldn't sign in and now started to sign in, but it does. Not automatically always but as long as it signs in. I have also manually logged in using the codes, idenity and my password and that now works. So for me that is enough. I do notice that some of the time, but not always, I do automatically log into  the xfinitywifi unsecure hotspots and some of these hotspots have a faster speed than previously.

Official Employee

Good to hear, WindsurfMaui!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

MdAsh, did you ever get this resolved? My wife's X Charge will randomly drop connection with our home network and will require her to input the password to reconnect, if it even will. Same issue when it connects to XfinityWiFi.
Most Valued Poster

Is your wife connected to the secure in house network when it drops or the public wifi hotspot that your modem sends out? Is she connected to the 2.4 or the 5.0 freq? The 5.0 is faster but a weaker signal. The 2.4 is a stronger signal but slower and will get interference from other 2.4 devices in the house like wire free house phones, wifi cameras, microwaves, etc. Is your house/property that large that you need a range extender for certain parts of your house? Does it only happen to the LG X Charge and not other models? Curious that you have to reenter password. If the LG X Charge is listed in your modem's acceptable devices it should reconnect without the need for a password (unless you click on the forget then it will ask for the password again.)