New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

LG X Charge isn't automatically connecting to home or wifi hotspots

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 98

The initial activation and setup went smoothly and the phone connected to my home wifi and xfinity hotspots right out of the box. Later in the day it stopped working. The "automatically connect to xfinity hotposts" setting under advanced wifi is on, I factory reset the phone a couple times, and it still wont automatically connect to anything. I can manually connect to home wifi and access the internet fine but not though xfinity hotspots. Can someone please help?

97 REPLIES
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 2 of 98

I suggest you try the app WiFi Prioritizer and enable autoswitch for your home WiFi and xfinitywifi in the app. Also, if there is an option in the Settings to skip/ignore the WiFi access points with weak signals, try not to enable it to see if it will fix the problem.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 98

That wont do anything since when I manually connect to xfinitywifi hotspots it doesn't allow any internet access. There is no login webpage and I even installed the Xfinity Hotspots android app which has no username and login as well.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 4 of 98

I believe there is the option in WiFi settings to restore/reset the WiFi settings to defaults, try it.

Highlighted
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 98

I performed the network/WiFi reset and factory reset multiple times. I also executed a "hard reset."

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 6 of 98

MdAsh wrote:

That wont do anything since when I manually connect to xfinitywifi hotspots it doesn't allow any internet access. There is no login webpage and I even installed the Xfinity Hotspots android app which has no username and login as well.

The xfinity wifi hotspots app does not provide access functionality.  It only tells you where to find them, and nothing more.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 98

I was trying everything I could think of. I realized that once it was installed and didn't have any sign in/sign out options like on my family's non Xfinity mobile phones.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 8 of 98

MdAsh, You should be able to auto connect fresh out of the box.

Maybe toggling the auto connect feature on and then off? Did you enable developer options? Did you download any apps after the reset before testing? Let me know. 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 9 of 98
I am having the same problem with a Galaxy S8+. Connected to XFINITY in the store. When I got home I factory reset the phone and it no longer autoconnects. I have tried the XFINITY wifi app but also don't have the the login option.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 10 of 98

Hi Ckramer1, as long as you’re signed into the Wi-Fi source or hot spot the device should auto connect. If you're still having issues after signing in, please go to your phone settings and make sure the proper network is selected to auto connect to the network.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 11 of 98
You can try a couple of things. First go into wifi hit on the hotspot you want to connect with and when the small box opens up click on forget. Then go back into wifi click on the hotspot again and when you hit connect it will ask you for your sign in information. The other thing you can try is open up your browser and try to sign in to the main Xfinity website. Then go back and try to log into a hotspot.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 12 of 98

I tried toggling the auto connect feature many times and it didn't do anything. I didn't enable developer options or install any other apps after factory resetting.

I exchanged the original LG X Charge and added a few more phones.

The exchanged LG X Charge auto connects to "xfinitywifi" only.

An additional LG X Charge initially auto connected to in home wifi on 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and both hotspots "xfinitywifi" and "XFINITY". After a few days it would only auto connect to the in home 5GHz wifi and "xfinitywifi" hotspot. Currently it only auto connects to "xfinitywifi".

An additional Samsung Galaxy S8+ only ever auto connected to "xfinitywifi" and attempts but fails to connect to "XFINITY" hotspots.

It seems that auto connect feature is only reliable with connecting to the unsecure "xfinitywifi" hotspots. Even so, the auto connect feature wants a perfect connection before the automatic connection kicks in even when I can manually select "xfinitywifi", get a decent connection, and save mobile data.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 13 of 98

Yes that has been my experience as well with my LG X Charge. Will autoconnect when I walk in the door sometimes with the 2.4 other times with the 5.0. If I "forget" the 2.4 it would connect with the 5.0 more often. But since it only takes a second I don't mind hitting connect. Sometimes it will connect with a Wifi hotspot when I walk in the door, but not often.

When on the street it seldom connects with wifi hotspots when available without manual help. But one good thing is, for some reason, many of the hotspots that I used to get a 72mbps connection with my old LG phone now gets a 120Mbps connection with the LG X Charge out on the street.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 14 of 98
I had to manually put my wifi password in
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 15 of 98

cuddles3 wrote:

cuddles3 wrote:

You shouldn't have to do that more than once.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 16 of 98

Hello all, this link will help you get connected to a hot spot and stay connected. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 17 of 98

Coming back home, after being out my wifi both 2.4 & 5 ghz will say disabled even though I did not disable anything.  It was connected and working fine when I leave the house, but disabled when I return.  Anyone else notice this and is there any setting I should be doing?  It connected automatically when I first came home with the phone from the store, but shortly afterward it started this and a few times I have even had to enter the wifi password to connect.  

When I have the SIM in my S5 it always connects just fine with no issues.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 18 of 98
It isn't just your phone. It has been happening to mine too.

Hopefully we will get an official update soon. I'd like to get our data usage refunded since this problem isn't on our end. It is happening on each device tested, regardless of the WiFi network. It'll need to be connected manually each time because it'll just say "Disabled" when returning to the WiFi network area. This has resulted in unexpected data usage.

It's kind of funny, because they say they don't support bringing your own device, yet using their LG X Charge has a problem itself.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 19 of 98

I'm not sure the problem you are having. Yes my LG X charge doesn't always log in to the network when I come home and seldom when I am out but it takes just a second to log in. So although a pain it doesn't require any mobile data usage. Disabled doesn't mean anything that I can see.  And when I am logged into a wifi hotspot out on the street I am getting much faster speeds than I used to get with my old LG on T-mobile. What am I missing?

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 20 of 98

Aha, I had a feeling as both mine and my wife's X-charge are doing it.  I first noticed it on my wife's phone as I mostly use my S5 so I fired up mine and same thing.  My neighbor is gushing out a strong Xfinity Wifi signal but our phones refuse to connect to it most of the time, when it does it is only for a moment.  

So, XM, what are you guys going to do about it?  You must know we are having a problem here.  

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 21 of 98

WindsurfMaui wrote:

I'm not sure the problem you are having. Yes my LG X charge doesn't always log in to the network when I come home and seldom when I am out but it takes just a second to log in. So although a pain it doesn't require any mobile data usage. Disabled doesn't mean anything that I can see.  And when I am logged into a wifi hotspot out on the street I am getting much faster speeds than I used to get with my old LG on T-mobile. What am I missing?

Every cell phone and tablet I have ever owned automatically connected to my network when I get home.   The emails start chiming in as soon as I pull in the driveway including my 3 year old S5 which has a thousand times better radio then the LG. The LG, rarely connects automatically and it should.  I realize some of us only paid a buck for the bloody thing, but seriously, it should work as intended and the intention is it should auto connect.  I like the phone otherwise.  Not better then my old S5 becuase of the camera, screen, wifi radio, but it is a nice phone nonetheless.  XM needs to fix this.  Why is the connection being labeled "disabled" in the first place?  It clearly is not disabled and it messes up the phone from trying to keep connecting. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 22 of 98
Just curious:

Do you have it set to automatically connect to XFINITY WiFi? I don't, that setting is off.

Also, do you have Data Saver on or off? I have that setting on.

Other than that, I don't think I've changed anything that should mess with the WiFi or network settings.

I have three family members with the LG X Charge, and then my phone also. The one family member is using a lot of data but is trying to remember to turn WiFi off and back on. The other two aren't using much data, yet. I'm glad I didn't show the other two how to use YouTube or anything like that. I was going to tell them everything they could do on a smartphone when at home (meaning on WiFi), but I didn't and I'm glad I didn't or we'd have even more charges.
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 23 of 98

I have auto connect to Xfinity off, Data off, data saver on and Passpoint off.  In desperation I downloaded WiFI Prioritizer to see if that makes a difference.  Worth a try.  I have set 5 ghz as #1, 2.4 #2 and my neighbors Xfinity Hot spot as #3 but the phone won't even manually connect to the Xfinity Hot Spot.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 24 of 98

I started another thread asking what was the real effect of downloading the Xfinity WiFi hotspot app. Does it really work  and what does it really do besides providing a map of the hotspots. Does anyone here use the app? Does it seem to help?

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 25 of 98

In trying to access this site from the LG, it says no internet connection.  Then the phone tries to connect to the Xfinity Hot Spot, fails and then tries to connect to my home wifi again.  It connected, then dropped out and finally reconnected.  This thing is just plain not a wifi phone.  I will put the SIM back in my S5 and this thing goes in a drawer where it belongs.  Then figure out what do to get wifey a phone that works.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 26 of 98
From what I've read it doesn't do anything on XFINITY Mobile phones because there's already an application like it built-in the phone.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 27 of 98
I really like the phone. It's just this WiFi problem that is upsetting me.

I'm assuming an update is needed to fix this. Hopefully XFINITY Mobile has contacted LG about this problem. We'll see what their official response is.
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 28 of 98

Folks, I suggest you try WiFi Prioritizer. Open WiFi Prioritizer to arrange the WiFi connections in the order you prefer, in this case let's move Xfinity WiFi to the top so it'll be the 1st available network the phone will connect to. After that, open the phone's Advanced WiFi Settings to disable  Auto-Connect to Xfinity WiFi  to let WiFi Prioritizer do its job. 

There is nothing wrong with the LG X-Charge, only the labeling (Auto-Connect to Xfinity WiFi) is confusing. When Auto-Connect to Xfinity WiFi is enabled, the phone only connects to Xfinity WiFi when it detects no other saved networks. If the phone detects other saved networks (your home WiFi, for example), it will connect to 1 of those with the strongest signal but it will not connect to the available Xfinity WiFi.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 29 of 98

Coaxial wrote:
From what I've read it doesn't do anything on XFINITY Mobile phones because there's already an application like it built-in the phone.

Coaxial this is what I am trying to understand. I don't want to load my phone with apps, taking up storage space if they have very little value. Thanks.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 30 of 98

SBM17 wrote:

Folks, I suggest you try WiFi Prioritizer. Open WiFi Prioritizer to arrange the WiFi connections in the order you prefer, in this case let's move Xfinity WiFi to the top so it'll be the 1st available network the phone will connect to. After that, open the phone's Advanced WiFi Settings to disable  Auto-Connect to Xfinity WiFi  to let WiFi Prioritizer do its job. 

There is nothing wrong with the LG X-Charge, only the labeling (Auto-Connect to Xfinity WiFi) is confusing. When Auto-Connect to Xfinity WiFi is enabled, the phone only connects to Xfinity WiFi when it detects no other saved networks. If the phone detects other saved networks (your home WiFi, for example), it will connect to 1 of those with the strongest signal but it will not connect to the available Xfinity WiFi.

So this is why my S5 works perfectly with wifi while my LG s**ks with wifi.  I have already done all the advice you have stated above with the exception of moving Xfinity wifi to the top before disabling. I moved my 5ghz connection to the top, then disabled xfinity wifi.  

Maybe it is just my phone then, but my LG disconnects randomly when it is connected for no apparent reason with a strong signal as I stated earlier.  That cannot be right. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 31 of 98

My LG X will only disconnect when I am out on the street and moving.  When I am home once the connection is made it never drops. 

I live in an apartment building where many residents seem to have Comcast. When I do come home it will connect to a wifi hotspot rather than my home network but it only takes a second to switch it over. I can usually tell by looking at the wifi icon on the top bar if I am connected to my home network or a wifi hotspot.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 32 of 98
The phone is not working correctly.

WiFi will be on, and when manually connected it is fine, but when leaving the WiFi network area and returning it won't connect to the saved network again. WiFi is still on, but it'll just say "Disabled" next to the saved network. By tapping the network name and then "Connect" it'll start to work again for as long as the phone is within the WiFi network area.

I'm estimating we'll probably be at $36 in data usage this billing cycle when it should be $12 at the most.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 33 of 98
I have the Auto-Connect to XFINITY WiFi off, and it won't connect to my network automatically. After it is manually connected it'll usually stay connected.

If you were to turn off the Auto-Connect to XFINITY WiFi setting I'd assume it won't automatically connect to your home network either.
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 34 of 98

Coaxial wrote:
I have the Auto-Connect to XFINITY WiFi off, and it won't connect to my network automatically. After it is manually connected it'll usually stay connected.

If you were to turn off the Auto-Connect to XFINITY WiFi setting I'd assume it won't automatically connect to your home network either.

My 2 X-Charge phones auto-connected to Xfinity WiFi OK. Now it makes me believe that the QC on the LG X-Charge was lacking, some phones work fine and some don't. Note that I bought my two $1 X-Charge phones early in the sale.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 35 of 98

Coaxial wrote:

WiFi will be on, and when manually connected it is fine, but when leaving the WiFi network area and returning it won't connect to the saved network again. WiFi is still on, but it'll just say "Disabled" next to the saved network. By tapping the network name and then "Connect" it'll start to work again for as long as the phone is within the WiFi network area.

I'm estimating we'll probably be at $36 in data usage this billing cycle when it should be $12 at the most.

My LG Xcharge will connect to xfinity when I get home, so I have to go in and switch to my home network.

However I keep data turned off, so I won't use anything accidentally.  Is that a possibility for you?  I find it is much easier to connect to data only when I don't have wifi than to keep having to check to make sure I'm using wifi.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 36 of 98

My X-Power and two X-Charge phones are working great as they should be. They always connected to whatever networks I set them to when these networks were detected, including the Xfinitywifi hotspots. Even when I was at the stores like Walmart, Target, Fiesta, HEB, convenience stores... and the Xfinity hotspots were nearby.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 37 of 98

Well, then I guess we got lemons then.  Outside the house the LG does not even see the 5ghz signal while my S5 indicates a good signal.  The LG says fair on 2.4 while my S5 says very good. 

That's enough for me.  These may be decent phones, but I need something better then just decent.  My S5 is 2014 tech and hands down better in every regard then the LG with the notable exception of battery life.  The LG has what basically amounts to a car battery, LOL, so it should be better.  I leave data off all the time, so good high quality wifi connectivity is an absolute must and the LG just does not deliver the goods for me.  

The way I see it, we paid 2 dollars to get two SIM cards, a heck of a deal,  so I will find my wife a nice S5 or S6 on eBay or Swappa and go from there.  Enough complaining about these bad boys.  ;-)

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 38 of 98

TiredRetired wrote:

Well, then I guess we got lemons then.  Outside the house the LG does not even see the 5ghz signal while my S5 indicates a good signal.  The LG says fair on 2.4 while my S5 says very good. 

That's enough for me.  These may be decent phones, but I need something better then just decent.  My S5 is 2014 tech and hands down better in every regard then the LG with the notable exception of battery life.  The LG has what basically amounts to a car battery, LOL, so it should be better.  I leave data off all the time, so good high quality wifi connectivity is an absolute must and the LG just does not deliver the goods for me.  

The way I see it, we paid 2 dollars to get two SIM cards, a heck of a deal,  so I will find my wife a nice S5 or S6 on eBay or Swappa and go from there.  Enough complaining about these bad boys.  ;-)

Well if you really don't want them I'll send you $5 for the postage and you can ship them to me. I really like these phones.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 39 of 98

WindsurfMaui wrote:

TiredRetired wrote:

Well if you really don't want them I'll send you $5 for the postage and you can ship them to me. I really like these phones.

I agree. The phone looks gorgeous and works great on everything for me (calls including HD Voice, mms, sms, data, WiFi 2.4GHz & 5GHz,...). I planned to move the SIMs to other phones before I received these 2 X-Charge orders. After I received them, activated & used them for a few days, I fell in love with them and just left the SIMs to run in them. I love the 5.5" 720p screen of these X-Charge's!

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 40 of 98

WindsurfMaui wrote:

TiredRetired wrote:

Thank you for that generous offer but for the time being I think I shall pass.  I don't think it would be a good idea to get rid of them until XM gets BYOD up to speed.  Never know what the brainiacs will dream up for us SIM swappers.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 41 of 98

:>) Well it wasn't a generous offer but it was what you paid for them. And I was only offering b/c some people just want to get rid of stuff they don't like so they never have to see it any longer. 

Personally as much as I would like the technology of an $800 phone, I'm a klutz. I ding and bang everything I own so the LG X Charge is a great phone for the price and I won't have to constantly worry about damaging it.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 42 of 98

LOL, which is why I spent 67 dollars on a real nice S5 with the intention of changing over to Verizon PrePaid.  After winning the bid and before getting the phone, I discovered XM which I had somehow missed before.  Then the $1 sale appeared and I decided to basically pay the $1 for a SIM card.  Like you guys, I was pleasently surprised to find the LG to be basically a nice phone.  I was willing to trade off the lesser screen resolution and lesser camera for a bigger screen and bigger battery.  The WiFi performance was not something I want to trade off, though. 

I am glad some of you guys are having better luck with yours.  I have to say for me, if wifi on the LG was as good as Samsung radios, I would likely be using the LG.  I'm not dissapointed, though, the S5 is the perfect phone for me.  Cheap, nice and it works well and I have to say for what I use it for, I see very little difference from my S6 I had on AT&T except for the fancy aluminum and Gorilla glass backing which I covered up with a 10 dollar knockoff Spigen Case.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 43 of 98
But does it auto connect? When I'm driving and using maps, I find it very unsafe to be looking down at my phone to see if there's a network available, then clicking on it to open it, only to find I've driven out of that XFINITY or xfinitywifi network range. I have the S8 and I NEED it to auto connect.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 44 of 98

kamee2109 wrote:
But does it auto connect? When I'm driving and using maps, I find it very unsafe to be looking down at my phone to see if there's a network available, then clicking on it to open it, only to find I've driven out of that XFINITY or xfinitywifi network range. I have the S8 and I NEED it to auto connect.

kamee2109 wrote:

My understanding is Wifi range is only 150 feet so I am surprised you are getting any connection at all. Plus each  wifi modem has to reconnect and go through the log in process so you must be driving in and out of each node  before it can do this process.  I think you need to connect via mobile data to do what you describe unless you are driving in rush hour traffic.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 45 of 98
What if you turn off the Auto-Connect to XFINITY WiFi setting? Does it connect to your home network automatically or say "Disabled" when opening up the WiFi settings?

We need the data on since we use Google Voice.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 46 of 98
Google Maps will allow you to download maps to be available offline. I'd recommend you do that.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 47 of 98
I refresh my downloaded maps every month, but I appreciate it, thank you! I live in Chicago, and having live traffic maps is a necessity of sorts. I'm just upset because what I was promised and guaranteed does not work. And with 16 million hotspots, I know I wouldn't have a problem if it worked the way it should.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 48 of 98

I do use the XFinity WiFi Hotspots app on my Verizon LG G4 VS986 since February 2016 and what it does is it will connect to xfinitywifi as soon as it sees one even though sometimes the hotspot doesn't work at all.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 49 of 98

kamee2109 wrote:
I refresh my downloaded maps every month, but I appreciate it, thank you! I live in Chicago, and having live traffic maps is a necessity of sorts. I'm just upset because what I was promised and guaranteed does not work. And with 16 million hotspots, I know I wouldn't have a problem if it worked the way it should.

I don't think you understand at all how Xfinity hot spots are to supplement this deal. Xfinity never claimed their hotspots are situated on or near freeways or highways such that you can use Google Maps/Navigator to route you live traffic. If you're getting intermittent wifi interference, leave it only in cell/data mode and you'll be fine. Wifi Hotspots are for when you've reached your destination and are semi stationary -- e.g. at a coffee shop, eatery, friends house -- and they have Xfinity hotspots at or near their places, then you should be able to take advantage of the 18 million wifi hotspots. 

Comcast never advertised their 18 million hot stops for you to be active driving around in urban areas and use google map live traffic with their wifi hot spots.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 50 of 98
When do you think we'll get an official update regarding this issue?