Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Issue with Unlocking Phone

ANSWERED
New Poster

Issue with Unlocking Phone

I originally submitted an unlock request for my iPhone 8 Plus on Sunday, March 25th and have had no communication from email or phone (even checked my junk mail and Comcast email) and never received anything until Thursday, March 29th saying that my iPhone is not an Xfinity Mobile phone and you all were unable to unlock the device. I purchased my device brand new back in October 2017 and paid it off in full, but then had the line cancelled during a port over back to Verizon. So the phone is not connected to any network. I've been assured numerous times that a resolution would come but still no contact of this request. Is this how you all do business daily is keep customers waiting day to day? I was told three times that it would take 72 hours. Once the 72 hours is reached I was told it would be another 72 hours. I have my phone fully paid off and need my phone unlocked today!

Verizon and AT&T would never take days or weeks to unlock a device if it's paid off. As a matter of fact, Verizon doesn't even lock their phones if the phone is postpaid....why is it that I can't get my phone unlocked the same day that I request it? This is very poor customer service!

Accepted Solution

Re: Issue with Unlocking Phone

@cowens17
So what is the best solution for the iPhone 8 Plus that was running on Xfinity Mobile to get unlocked? I still have the SIM Card from them installed on the phone...

I would take the phone back to a Xfinity store, get service established, have the unlock issued, then terminate the service after a month. Xfinity will probably have to issue the unlock code since they were the first ones  to activate the phone. Since the phone would be paid off Xfinity should be able to issue the unlock code. That unlock should have been issued before the number was ever ported.

View answer in context
Contributor

@cowens17 wrote:

So the phone is not connected to any network.

That may be the reason the phone cannot be unlocked. It is not connected to any network and thus is not a Xfinity device. You may have caused the problem by reverting to Verizon. You should connect the phone to a network and have the unlock issued. A lock prevents use on other networks. Without any network affiliation who is to issue the unlock?

Verizon doesn't even lock their phones if the phone is postpaid....why is it that I can't get my phone unlocked the same day that I request it? 

Verizon cannot, by law, lock any iPhones on their network. Has nothing to do with Verizon being charitable or being more responsive to customers.

New Poster

I actually ported my number to Verizon but purchased a new phone through Verizon to get the iPhone X. So what is the best solution for the iPhone 8 Plus that was running on Xfinity Mobile to get unlocked? I still have the SIM Card from them installed on the phone...

Contributor

@cowens17
So what is the best solution for the iPhone 8 Plus that was running on Xfinity Mobile to get unlocked? I still have the SIM Card from them installed on the phone...

I would take the phone back to a Xfinity store, get service established, have the unlock issued, then terminate the service after a month. Xfinity will probably have to issue the unlock code since they were the first ones  to activate the phone. Since the phone would be paid off Xfinity should be able to issue the unlock code. That unlock should have been issued before the number was ever ported.

New Poster

@rayt435

That unlock should have been issued before the number was ever ported.

I was thinking the same thing that they would have at least unlocked it before the process, but when I called in to see why the phone wasn't unlocked they said you actually have to request for it to be unlocked. They don't automatically unlock it for you when the phone is paid off - based on what I was told by a representative.

Contributor

@cowens17 wrote:

@rayt435

That unlock should have been issued before the number was ever ported.

They don't automatically unlock it for you when the phone is paid off

That is fairly common in the industry. No automatic unlocks are generally ever issued. The providers don't want you to leave and any effort on their part without your express request just helps that effort. Not something they want to enable. My initial phones were with Verizon because Verizon iPhones could not be locked. I needed unlocked to use the phone in Europe. Other vendors were no so cooperative in doing the unlock requiring paid off devices, some term of service satisified, etc. I did not want to deal with the minutiae of dealing with lock/unlock.Several years ago vendors simply never unlocked phones at all, ever. The feds stepped in and stopped that practice. But vendors found other ways to lock you into their service for an extended time. Xfinity is no different in that regard.

New Poster

I just contacted Apple and they said the device is unlocked, but looks as if the carrier policy says: Xfinity Mobile - block others. But the unlocked status is Yes.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation