Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Is xfinity using all of Verizon’s cellular towers?

ANSWERED
New Poster

Is xfinity using all of Verizon’s cellular towers?

Is xfinity using all of Verizon’s cellular towers or just a subset of their towers? Will my “cellular” coverage be the same or less than using a Verizon plan? Has anyone that made the switch from Verizon to xfinity mobile see less “cellular” coverage after changing their service?
Accepted Solution

Re: Is xfinity using all of Verizon’s cellular towers?

I live in a Verizon NO COVERAGE area, but many friends and co-workers have exceptional service here and up the road at my work. My home is in a US Cellular ONLY tower area and I know Verizon itself shares and everyone is happy.  I activated ONE of the xfinity phones I ordered to MAKE SURE everything was kosher before porting over my US Cellular #'s and 10 miles down the hill and elsewhere is FANTASTIC...but I have to "double dial" at my house and work in order to make a call. Receiving calls and the call clarity has been fine--need to test out voicemails to make sure they are not being delayed.  After many calls, several to Verizon itself, finally have been told that "Xfinity Mobile does use the exact same towers as Verizon, but when partnering with another carrier in poor service areas (my neighborhood) the use of double dialing is required for now". I CAN make calls, but it is annoying to have to input the #'s again. It appears to be their way of sharing the coverage and being able to monitor and bill between the different carriers themselves. They say they are looking into a fix for this, it will be between Verizon and the other carrier though. 

View answer in context
Official Employee

micsli, we've combined the nation's largest 4G LTE network with our millions XFINITY WiFi hotspots. You can get more information about coverage here: https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/223276307/how-do-i-check-for-xfinity-mobile-coverage

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I had Verizon wireless and had 1 circle signal on my iPhone SE at my house, and 1 circle signal at my parents house.  I made the switch from Verizon to Xfinity yesterday.  I still have 1 circle of signal on my new iPhone 7 at my house and 1 circle at my parent's house.  This was not an issue whatsoever with me, because Verizon's smartphones could use a home's WiFi to conduct a call.  NOBODY complained when I made calls at my house or parent's house.  As a matter of fact, the calls were in HD literally.

Yesterday and today I've been using my new iPhone 7 at my house and my parent's house with the 1 circle of signal, but guess what?  Everyone is complaining that I'm fading in and out and they can't hear me!  I literally posted onto this forum about WiFi calling, and someone said Xfinity Mobile does not allow WiFi calling!  This is crazy.  I knew the switch from Verizon Wireless to Xfinity was too good to be true!

By the way, on my Verizon iPhone, in the top left it would say Verizon.  When in the house, it would switch and display VZW WiFi.  On Xfinity, it says Xfinity Mobile, but when in the house, it still says Xfinity Mobile.  (All the iPhone settings are correct.)  I currently am on hold waiting to speak to a Xfinity Mobile rep.  Stay tuned...

Official Employee

CellJunkie, I just saw your other post. We do not have WiFi calling available at this time. We hope to bring this to our customers, soon. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Yep.  I just hung up with an Xfinity Mobile rep (using my house phone since cellphone is UNUSABLE AT MY HOUSE NOW.)  She confirmed what you've said, that there is NO WIFI CALLING ON XFINITY MOBILE SERVICE.

I find this appalling since this is a brand new service/technology/offering.  I also had a feeling it was too good to be true, that I was cutting my Verizon Wireless bill in half!  Turns out, now I can't and my parent's can't even use the CELLPHONE while at home.  SO SAD.  I'm returning both iPhone 7's tomorrow and going back to Verizon Wireless.

Problem Solver

CellJunkie, you started your own thread on Wi-Fi calling, and then you hijacked this one. Not a cool thing to do. There were also already a number of threads pointing out the lack of Wi-Fi calling.

In terms of the original question, Xfinity definitely uses all of Verizon's towers. I think the unknown is those areas where Verizon has roaming agreements. If you're on Verizon and your phone switches into "extended" coverage, I think that service is provided by another carrier that Verizon has an agreement with. Does Xfinity have the same roaming agreements? Probably not. But for me that's not a major concern since Verizon's network is so big.
Official Employee

CellJunkie, Apologies for this inconvenience and I'm sorry we've lost you as a customer. We hope to bring this feature to our customer soon and hope to have you back. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

CellJunkie wrote:

Yep.  I just hung up with an Xfinity Mobile rep (using my house phone since cellphone is UNUSABLE AT MY HOUSE NOW.)  She confirmed what you've said, that there is NO WIFI CALLING ON XFINITY MOBILE SERVICE.

I find this appalling since this is a brand new service/technology/offering.  I also had a feeling it was too good to be true, that I was cutting my Verizon Wireless bill in half!  Turns out, now I can't and my parent's can't even use the CELLPHONE while at home.  SO SAD.  I'm returning both iPhone 7's tomorrow and going back to Verizon Wireless.

It may be too good to be true for you, but for those of us who don't need or even care for wifi calling, it totally is irrelevent. It's not a needed feature and if I can cut my cost in half from Verizon, all the better. Why would I want to pay for a feature I don't use?

I am concerned about roaming. Verizon definitely has roaming arrangement with other providers. 

KenF, can you comfirm -- or try to find out -- whether or not XM has access to only Verizon towers or also towers with whom Verizon has roaming agreements? Thanks. I understand XM has Xfinity hot spots to help cover some areas that lack cell coverage, but as acknowledged in this thread, wificalling is unaviable at this time, so being in an area that doesn't have cell signal but does have wifi hotspot may not be very useful if one wants to make and receive voice calls. I'd like to know if XM has access to the same towers with whom Verizon has roaming agreements. 

Contributor

It's hard to say until someone compares the PRL files as Verizon uses 15518 while XFINITY Mobile uses 15516.  The PRL is what determines what it can or cannot connect to as far as towers are concerned.  Comcast is a MVNO and it's Verizon who actually determines the access based on the PRL so until we know what the differences are in the two different PRL's, it's hard to say since the versions can be released at the same time and customized for even different Verizon plans and MVNOs for example.

Official Employee

Lakino,

Almighty188 is correct as XFINITY Mobile is an MVNO of Verizon and Verizon determines the cell towers XFINITY Mobile has access too. I'm not certain of the roaming agreements Verizon has and our access to those specific towers. 

We utilize the same coverage map (non Wifi) Verizon does via https://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/dotcom/coveragelocator/

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

micsli wrote:
Is xfinity using all of Verizon’s cellular towers or just a subset of their towers? Will my “cellular” coverage be the same or less than using a Verizon plan? Has anyone that made the switch from Verizon to xfinity mobile see less “cellular” coverage after changing their service?

XM is said to be using all of Verizon's own towers. Not a suset. However, we are unsure whether or not XM also gets to use the towers that are non-Verizon -- those towers with whom Verizon has a roaming agreement. We'd like to know if XM customers will be able to roam onto those towers that Verizon Post Paid customers can roam to. That's the question. 

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

I was just told by a rep that they Do NOT use all of Verizon’s towers. Im looking into switching from Verizon to xfinity wireless and doing a bunch or research. This has kind of turned me off and I may just stick with Verizon.

Most Valued Poster

My service in Vermont has been exceptional with XM / Verizon.  Then again, I am coming from ATT so anything would be better then them.  Even using two tin cans and a string have ATT beat.  

Contributor

Look above at my post above "Serious issues with service"  think there maybe some issues. I've had cell service for 20 years and never had a voicemail notification the next day, of course we only tried Verizon once long ago and didn't like going out into the cul-de-sac to make calls.

Contributor

I can tell you that in the Seattle area that my XM and work phone Verizon always have the same LTE signal.
Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

I have xfinity mobile by the gig plan with a new LG X Charge. The phone is great and comes preloaded with all the basic apps that all the new phones have. Xfinity told me the Verizon towers, two are very close to my home. My phone is confused as to which tower to use therefore I have to dial outgoing calls two times. Sometimes calls go straight to voice mail. Not sure yet if that has been resolved. Hope this helps answer your question.
New Poster

I'm presently encountering reception problems I didn't have on Verizon. Wife using her s8 calls me sitting next to her on couch and my Note8 doesn't ring but after she leaves message I get notification. Working with Tier2 tech support will update. Very frustrating!!! I only show 3 bars on phone. This never happened on Verizon with s5 phones.
Contributor

At least your getting the notification right away. I have gotten notifications hours later along with voicemails.

Official Employee

Anon701157, I can monitor that ticket if you'd like. Just send me a private message. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Hijacked? Seriously? Are you the internet police? Let the boy speak... After all... This is a public forum. You don't own the internet!
New Poster

I live in a Verizon NO COVERAGE area, but many friends and co-workers have exceptional service here and up the road at my work. My home is in a US Cellular ONLY tower area and I know Verizon itself shares and everyone is happy.  I activated ONE of the xfinity phones I ordered to MAKE SURE everything was kosher before porting over my US Cellular #'s and 10 miles down the hill and elsewhere is FANTASTIC...but I have to "double dial" at my house and work in order to make a call. Receiving calls and the call clarity has been fine--need to test out voicemails to make sure they are not being delayed.  After many calls, several to Verizon itself, finally have been told that "Xfinity Mobile does use the exact same towers as Verizon, but when partnering with another carrier in poor service areas (my neighborhood) the use of double dialing is required for now". I CAN make calls, but it is annoying to have to input the #'s again. It appears to be their way of sharing the coverage and being able to monitor and bill between the different carriers themselves. They say they are looking into a fix for this, it will be between Verizon and the other carrier though. 

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 14 in conversation