Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

If I am on WiFi and send a text message with a pix am I using data.

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

If I am on WiFi and send a text message with a pix am I using data.

I have a second phone on Trackfone and I don’t use data sending a text with a pix.

If I send a text with a photo do I use data?

I have asked this question every time I speak with Xfinity reps some say yes and some say no.

I have cellular data turned off. 

Accepted Solution

Re: If I am on WiFi and send a text message with a pix am I using data.

Thank you Mike.  I just checked my phone data and you are correct.  It shows a MMS message going to my other phone and the data did not increase.   I will send some pics of the snowstorm in NJ to my family over Xfinity and check my data later.  I think my question has been answered.  Just keep iMessage turned off.

View answer in context
Contributor

No, you don’t use data when you send a text with a photo (aka MMS). You don’t even need wifi to send MMS. 

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/224728688/do-my-text-messages-count-as-data

Do my text messages count as data?
JULY 20TH, 2017
Text away! Your text messages—including SMS and MMS—are covered in the unlimited nationwide texting that's included with all XFINITY Mobile lines. They do not count toward your data usage.If you're an iPhone user, your iMessages do count as data.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the answer to my question.  I do have a iPhone what if I turn off iMessage? 

Can I send a pic that way? 

Contributor

yes

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207006

Surf2826 wrote:

Thanks for the answer to my question.  I do have a iPhone what if I turn off iMessage? 

Can I send a pic that way? 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply.   This is my first iPhone and don’t understand all the differences between the iPhone options so, I think my answer is to turn off iMessage and then I can send as MMS on WiFi or cellular is that right?

Frequent Visitor

I just tried to send a pic with iMessage turned off and I got a message not delivered.

I didn’t have any problems before when I was using my Moto android phone on another carrier but I don’t want to use up a lot of data on Xfinity 

Can anyone with a iPhone help me 

Contributor

Did you enable Send as SMS and MMS messaging under Messages setting?

To properly test SMS/MMS, you should turn off both wifi and cellular data.

It's not unusual to get a message not delivered, particularly one with photo. I experienced that at midnight on new year's eve when presumably the whole world was texting each other. Try sending a SMS (text only) first to see if it gets through, then MMS.

Surf2826 wrote:

I just tried to send a pic with iMessage turned off and I got a message not delivered.

I didn’t have any problems before when I was using my Moto android phone on another carrier but I don’t want to use up a lot of data on Xfinity 

Highlighted
Contributor

Correction: I just experimented on my iPhone (non-Xfinity Mobile) and I think you do need to turn on cellular data to send MMS. SMS can go through with both cellular data and wifi off.

My guess for why you could send MMS with cellular data off on your Moto android phone is that it was drawing background mobile data. For example, on my Android phone (Xfinity Mobile), Android OS mobile data usage (which cannot be turned off) includes MmsService. On iPhones however, there is no background mobile data usage in apps; you need to explicitly turn them on in order for them to use mobile data.

Surf2826 wrote:

Frequent Visitor

1. Thank you SRG I will try with cellular data on.   I will try to send a pic to my moto.
  2.  The pix and text went through 
  3. I just checked my data usage and it now shows 0.1GB before it was 0 GB
  4. I thought Xfinity Mobile said use all the text and data text away 
  5. From now on I will not be using Xfinity Mobile for data text 
Contributor

"They do not count toward your data usage", that's what Xfinity Mobile said. In retrospect I think that means it still uses data but don't count against your paid data usage.

Surf2826 wrote:
  1. I thought Xfinity Mobile said use all the text and data text away 

The imprecision in Xfinity Mobile's data usage reporting is a known issue. Search data usage in the forum for past discussions. The following is one thread from a few months ago.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Data-usage-when-there-should-be-none/td-p/2951284

Surf2826 wrote:
  1. I just checked my data usage and it now shows 0.1GB before it was 0 GB

It turns out some phone services require cellular data. I just learned today that visual voicemail does. FYI. 

Surf2826 wrote:
  1. From now on I will not be using Xfinity Mobile for data text 

Frequent Visitor

Hi SRG   Just reviewed the thread you suggested.  It was interesting and informative but I didn’t see any answers to my question.  I hope your right that they don’t count toward your GB usage.  I just wish I could get an answer from Xfinity.  I sent a text to Xfinity’s support but I didn’t get a reply yet.  Maybe a Xfinity rep will see this and be able to help.

Regular Contributor

I just ran a test on my iPhone. Turned off iMessage and sent about 100MB of photos via MMS over cellular. My Xfinity data usage did not increase. Also interesting is that the iPhone doesn't report it as cellular data either under Settings-Cellular. I think you're safe sending MMS as Xfinity says.

The fact that your data usage showed 0.1GB isn't surprising. That's what typically happens as soon as you turn on Cellular Data. It just means you've used at least a tiny bit of data. Look under Settings-Cellular and you'll see that System Services or some app has used some data. You need to turn off data in every app on this Settings page, or at least the ones you don't want using lots of data like Photos and Mail. Monitor your data usage on this Settings-Cellular page and you can avoid any surprises.
Regular Contributor

Also, if you look at your Xfinity account under Activity-Current Cycle Costs and click on your phone number you'll see how many calls and messages you've made. These are all included on unlimited talk/text. Under messages, you should see all your MMS labeled multimedia. It can take an hour or two for this to be updated.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Mike.  I just checked my phone data and you are correct.  It shows a MMS message going to my other phone and the data did not increase.   I will send some pics of the snowstorm in NJ to my family over Xfinity and check my data later.  I think my question has been answered.  Just keep iMessage turned off.