New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Devices

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 1 of 7
Is it true that I can not use this service with my current phone, that customers must purchase a new phone from xfinity? My phone is new so this is not cool. One of my lines will require a new phone but I will not.
6 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 7

amywon wrote:
Is it true that I can not use this service with my current phone, that customers must purchase a new phone from xfinity? My phone is new so this is not cool. One of my lines will require a new phone but I will not.

True

http://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/115000868288/can-i-bring-my-own-phone-to-xfinity-mobil...

Can I bring my own phone to XFINITY Mobile?

You can’t bring your own phone to XFINITY Mobile. Phones purchased independently or through other carriers will not work with XFINITY Mobile service. By keeping everything in the family, we're able to support all aspects of your XFINITY Mobile experience. And the great news is, we have such awesome phones that you won't even miss your old one.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 3 of 7
Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 4 of 7

I am trying to understand the implications of buying a device from Comcast to use with your service.

Take the iPhone 7 for instance.

Which model is it you are selling--is it the Verizon-branded model or is it the sim free model?

What is the Apple activation policy that applies to the device--is it the multimode unlock or is a custom activation policy that would impact my ability to use the device on another network?

If I buy an iPhone from Comcast and wish to use it elsewhere and discontinue the Xfinity Mobile Service, is there anything I need to do other than terminate service with you?

Where can I find a written policy that describes all these issues--I have not been able to locate one online?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 7

ComcastAndrew wrote: 

Can I bring my own phone to XFINITY Mobile?

You can’t bring your own phone to XFINITY Mobile. Phones purchased independently or through other carriers will not work with XFINITY Mobile service. By keeping everything in the family, we're able to support all aspects of your XFINITY Mobile experience. And the great news is, we have such awesome phones that you won't even miss your old one.

Please provide some techincal facts to support this statement.  Why can't you use an existing phone?  

I'd give your service a try in a second if it didn't mean throwing hundreds of dollars on a new phone that I don't need.  The existing unlocked Galaxy S7 (SM-G930U) that I already own is much more capable, in terms of radio bands, than the S7 that you are selling.  It is also capable of wifi calling since I currently use it as such.  So, why can't I use it?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 7

pretty simple... you can't use it because they aren't allowing it.  it's not rocket science and they aren't going to make an exception for just you.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 7 of 7

t looks like the Comcast agents are a bit green for this type of question :-)

It is so easy to copy/past what is written on the website...

My answer is yes. But you need to make sure your iPhone 7 Plus was either bought throught Verizon or as a SIM free model on the Apple Store.

Apple is selling 2 different iPhones 7. One with an Intel modem and one with a Qualcomm modem. Only iPhone 7 with a Qualcomm radio will be compatible to be used on Xfinity mobile.

But do not buy the LG X. If you buy the LG X, your line will be recorded as an Android line and you won't be able to access Visual Voicemail.

What I would suggest is to order the cheapest iPhone. In that case the SE. You activate the Sim received on the SE. Once the activation is done and all the services like 4G LTE and visual voicemail are working you just run off you phone.

Then you put the SIM in your iPhone 7 Plus. The first thing you have to do is to go under settings/General/About. You wait couple of seconds to see if there are any carrier update. If none you should see under network: Xfinity Mobile.

Now everything should work. The Sim and the phone number are recorded as an iOS device on the Xfinity/Verizon server.