online now

discussions

Data usage when there should be none

Problem Solver

Re: Data usage when there should be none

cggo wrote:

ComcastKenF wrote:

Hey Everyone, 

I have a response from tier 2 on our question. 

I phrased the question this way: At what point does XFINITY Mobile round to 100MB on display online for those getting free data? Is it rounded to 100MB when customer hits 70MB or 50MB?How is data rounded when you're under 1GB and how is that reported online?

Here is the response: 

"When looking at the online account the data usage meter will always read 0.1GB even when a brand new cycle has begun until the 100mb threshold has been crossed. There is no rounding up of data usage, the internal system will be able to keep track of how much data each line has used when on the By the Gig plan as the lines on on a shared Data usage plan."

Thanks Ken! So I guess the big question is does Comcast's meter accurately match/reflect what is shown on a device? For example if my phone says 45.28mb  is that what Comcast's meter shows? (The one that they use to monitor if we go over... not the one we see on our account details.)  

It would matter too much I think for those who use very little data, but would be useful to know for people are usually close to the limit.

Do you really think they would say its not accurate?

It will never be "the same" xf measures data leaving their servers, if your phone doesn't receive the data due to transmission loss, the data will be retransmitted. You phone measures data received by your phone, therefore data loss will not be measured.

Some of the posted discrepancies cann't be attributed to data loss, the differences are too big.

Official Employee

ComcastKenF wrote:

Hey Everyone, 

I phrased the question this way: At what point does XFINITY Mobile round to 100MB on display online for those getting free data? Is it rounded to 100MB when customer hits 70MB or 50MB?How is data rounded when you're under 1GB and how is that reported online?

Here is the response: 

"When looking at the online account the data usage meter will always read 0.1GB even when a brand new cycle has begun until the 100mb threshold has been crossed. There is no rounding up of data usage, the internal system will be able to keep track of how much data each line has used when on the By the Gig plan as the lines on on a shared Data usage plan."

Thanks Ken! So I guess the big question is does Comcast's meter accurately match/reflect what is shown on a device? For example if my phone says 45.28mb  is that what Comcast's meter shows? (The one that they use to monitor if we go over... not the one we see on our account details.)  

It would matter too much I think for those who use very little data, but would be useful to know for people are usually close to the limit.

cggo, that is the question of the day and it's a hard one. Different phone developers have different methods of how they measure and report data usage on the phone. I'm sure if you had an iPhone and an LG, HTC, and Samsung phone in the same room doing the same thing on the same network, they would report data usage differently because they use them differently. I think the data meters on the device are a great tool to get an idea for how much data is being consumed, but I wouldn't count on it fully. I reccomend basing usage measurement on what we provide via your XFINITY Mobile account. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Contributor

ComcastKenF wrote:
ComcastKenF wrote:

Hey Everyone, 

Here is the response: 

cggo, that is the question of the day and it's a hard one. Different phone developers have different methods of how they measure and report data usage on the phone. I'm sure if you had an iPhone and an LG, HTC, and Samsung phone in the same room doing the same thing on the same network, they would report data usage differently because they use them differently. I think the data meters on the device are a great tool to get an idea for how much data is being consumed, but I wouldn't count on it fully. I reccomend basing usage measurement on what we provide via your XFINITY Mobile account. 

"I reccomend basing usage measurement on what we provide via your XFINITY Mobile account. "

But how can we if all we ever see is 0.1gb?  Am I missing some tab that shows actual mb usage in my account?

Official Employee

ComcastKenF wrote:
ComcastKenF wrote:

Hey Everyone, 

Here is the response: 

"I reccomend basing usage measurement on what we provide via your XFINITY Mobile account. "

But how can we if all we ever see is 0.1gb?  Am I missing some tab that shows actual mb usage in my account?

cggo, you can also use data notifications via the app or the website and get notifications via email. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

cggo, you are asking how can we tell what Xfinity is actually measuring as usage vs what our phones are telling us? So we can have some reference to make sure we don't go over the limit by accident but still use some  of the 100MB of mobile data each month? We need to see what Xfinity is actually measuring each month so we can intelligently use some mobile data and yet not go over the limit.

Contributor

ComcastKenF wrote:
ComcastKenF wrote:
ComcastKenF wrote:

Hey Everyone, 

Here is the response: 

cggo, you can also use data notifications via the app or the website and get notifications via email. 

Yep, I do have that set, but it only notifies after you reach 1gb, 2gb, 3gb etc. Not any setting in between or that is coming up/near the limit. 

Problem Solver

cggo wrote:

ComcastKenF wrote:

You're not missing anything, that is THE problem, xf doesn't report to us the data usage with enough accuracy and large discrepancies have been reported between xf numbers and those on the phone.

Most Valued Poster

cggo, have you tried the data limiter? does it really turn off the mobile data usage?

Problem Solver

WindsurfMaui wrote:

cggo, have you tried the data limiter? does it really turn off the mobile data usage?

The data notifications via the app or the website that comcastkenf is referring to just send emails, it does take any action other than sending emails. Do you know of something else that I missed?

Contributor

WindsurfMaui wrote:

I have that set and also went into all the apps and set it to use no background data. It still uses a very small amount (3mb or so).  I am usally nowhere close to going over, but I want to know if that should happen, how close can I get to 100mb on my phone. I understand there will be slight discrepancies, but how much... 10mb? 3? 15?  

I think being able to adjust that notification scale to warn you before you hit the gb level would be very useful. So if it warns you say at 80mb, and you see your phone is at 78.5mb, you know it is kind of close in reporting. If that makes sense!

Official Employee

ComcastKenF wrote:
ComcastKenF wrote:
ComcastKenF wrote:

Hey Everyone, 

Here is the response: 

Yep, I do have that set, but it only notifies after you reach 1gb, 2gb, 3gb etc. Not any setting in between or that is coming up/near the limit. 

Oh I see what you're saying. It sounds like the problem is we don't have a solid method of tracking/presenting data consumption under 100MB (or under 1GB for that matter). It's tricky, especially with smartphones because they are dependent on cellular data connection. I've submitted the feedback on this thread to my leadership about data usage under 100MB and how that is reported. I'm hoping it's something we can provide soon.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

Yes give us the Xfinity numbers with a 10% error factor and we can then tell how much we are using and stay under the 100MB. 

Problem Solver

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Yes give us the Xfinity numbers with a 10% error factor and we can then tell how much we are using and stay under the 100MB. 

and more resolution on the data notification email function

Contributor

I have two lines, one line shows the 0.1 gb data and the second shows 0.. No way that I can find to tell if you are getting close as the data tracker starts at 1GB.. 

Most Valued Poster

Which data tracker are you talking about? The graph will show data used. You can move the  limit lines down. Also scroll down under the graph and it will show you which apps are using data and how much. The problem is this is the measurement of our phones and we can't be sure that Xfinity is using the same numbers.

Contributor

I meant the lowest amount you can set the notification alert at is 1gb.

Most Valued Poster

bigbw1 wrote:

big, I keep my mobile data turned off and have gone into some apps that are using mobile data in the background and turned the mobile data in each app off as well. So I don't have any practical experience. But I have gone into setting>mobile data and turned on the alert data notifier on the graph and set the line down to 60MBs, and turned on the data limiter  and set that line to 80MB. Are you saying that if I have the mobile data turned on and those two lines set on the graph that they wouldn't alert me or stopped data usage where I have the lines set?

Problem Solver

WindsurfMaui wrote:

bigbw1 wrote:

big, I keep my mobile data turned off and have gone into some apps that are using mobile data in the background and turned the mobile data in each app off as well. So I don't have any practical experience. But I have gone into setting>mobile data and turned on the alert data notifier on the graph and set the line down to 60MBs, and turned on the data limiter  and set that line to 80MB. Are you saying that if I have the mobile data turned on and those two lines set on the graph that they wouldn't alert me or stopped data usage where I have the lines set?

According to the LG manual it should though all the do is mention it:

Customizing mobile data settings
1 On the settings screen, tap Mobile data.
2 Customize the following settings:
• Mobile data: Set to use data connections on mobile networks.
• Limit mobile data usage: Set a limit for mobile data usage to block mobile data if the limit is reached.
• Alert me about data usage: Enable this option so you can set the amount of data usage that will trigger an alert.

Source: http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LGM322#manuals

Most Valued Poster

Mvenanzi, yes but the question is does it actually do what it says it will? Has anyone received an email for data usage under 1GB? Does it physically stop data usage once it hits the limit? Has anyone actually tested it?

Problem Solver

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Mvenanzi, yes but the question is does it actually do what it says it will? Has anyone received an email for data usage under 1GB? Does it physically stop data usage once it hits the limit? Has anyone actually tested it?

I haven't seen any posts about its use other than yours. I have S8+ so I can't try and I can't find anything similar on S8

Edit: Found data limiter on S8, had to turn on data to get to it. Will set to 25Mb and turn on data for a while to see what happens.

Most Valued Poster

the S8+, which is a great phone, doesn't have a usage graph for mobile data or wifi usage??? I thought all phones had this kind of utility to help users.

Problem Solver

WindsurfMaui wrote:

the S8+, which is a great phone, doesn't have a usage graph for mobile data or wifi usage??? I thought all phones had this kind of utility to help users.

Felt the same way, found it, had to turn on data to get to it. Setting to 25Mb to see what happens.

Contributor

WindsurfMaui wrote:

bigbw1 wrote:

I think bigbw1 is referring to the alert you set in your account on xFinity Mobile, not the phone.  The phone you can scale but the xFinity alert you can only do in increments of 1gb, 2gb, etc. and only alerts you after the fact. So it is kind of useless to warn you of being near the 100mb limit.  Your phone can do that though.

ComcastKenF is aware of this limitation on the account notifications and said he was going to put in a request to have them review.

Contributor

You are correct, I am refering to the data tracker on the xfinity website or mobile app.. It only allows for a warning when your data use hits 1 gb, which is too late to avoid charges.. I have turned off data in every possible way on my phone and it still uses a little, mostly OS things that you can't turn off.. I don't even come close to 1gb, yet.. When I switch to the xfinity phone as my main phone, that could change..  I am tracking data on my current phone and have it set to the same time period as XFinity, hopefully that will let me know what to expect.. 

Regular Contributor

I agree that the Xfinity data usage display and email notifications are useless for those trying to stay under 100MB. Xfinity should change their display to show the nearest MB (.001GB ) or at least .01GB.The email notification should have a 100MB option.

However, the Xfinity 1GB notification works better than some have assumed, and it isn't an after the fact notification. Last month I received an email saying that I had reached 80% of my first GB, so it is useful for anyone trying to stay under a GB threshold who doesn't constantly check their usage. If Xfinity added a 100MB option, then in theory it would notify you when you hit 80MB.

Another potential issue is how quickly the Xfinity notification goes out. I've noticed that the displayed Xfinity usage numbers often don't update until hours later. I might use a lot of data during the day, check my numbers that evening on Xfinity and see no increase, then check again in the morning and see that the Xfinity number has increased by 0.1GB as it should have the day before. I don't know if their notification system has the same potential lag.

Official Employee

Hey All, 

I've submitted your concerns to my leadership regarding the usage alerts/notification and how data is reported online. You can also leave feedback here: https://support.xfinity.com/svp-contact-form

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

WindsurfMaui wrote:

My billing period ends in 4 days. So far phone 1 has used 2.33 MB and phone 2, that was turned on this month has used 12.84 MB. When I look at my current status on the XfinityMobile website it shows phone 1 as 0.0 GB usage and phone 2 as 0.1 GB. To me 0.1 GB looks like 100MB so technically 0.1 GB plus 2.33 MB is over 100 MB. It will interesting to see what the bill will be in 4 days.

I've been out on a road trip and haven't been actively keeping tabs on this thread. I havent' seen any updates on this. WindsurfMaui, did you ever post an update? 

Something is weird about this thread. I can't see all the posts in this thread now. 

Most Valued Poster

Lakino Xfinity forum changed their layout and took away pages so the whole thread is on one page now. plus some other small changes in format.

And yes they labeled Phone 2 that had 12.xx mobile data used as 0.1GB and the other phone that had single digit mobile data usage as .0GBs.

Contributor

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Lakino Xfinity forum changed their layout and took away pages so the whole thread is on one page now. plus some other small changes in format.

And yes they labeled Phone 2 that had 12.xx mobile data used as 0.1GB and the other phone that had single digit mobile data usage as .0GBs.

I see. So in the end, did you pay $12 for having a total of less than 100mb? 

Problem Solver

WindsurfMaui wrote:

The forum thread still have multiple pages, they just took away the ability to change pages in the thread. The only way to get to a different page is to go to the forum page a click on a different page link. I started a thread about this in the "My Account Sign-In & Xfinity Website" forum here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/My-Account-Sign-In-Xfinity/Forum-thread-view-has-changed-today-and-is-m...

Untitled.png

Most Valued Poster

No so far I haven't been charged for any mobile data. Which is just as it should be since I haven't used more than 20MB of data in any month. 

Contributor

mvenanzi wrote:

WindsurfMaui wrote:

The forum thread still have multiple pages, they just took away the ability to change pages in the thread. The only way to get to a different page is to go to the forum page a click on a different page link. I started a thread about this in the "My Account Sign-In & Xfinity Website" forum here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/My-Account-Sign-In-Xfinity/Forum-thread-view-has-changed-today-and-is-m...

Untitled.png

thanks. that's helpful. I'll read the whole thread when I get back home.

Contributor

WindsurfMaui wrote:

No so far I haven't been charged for any mobile data. Which is just as it should be since I haven't used more than 20MB of data in any month. 

Very good. Then dimsum was excited over nothing. Well, perhaps not nothing.

I've had my own problems during my road trip. XM's website does not do a good job of updating datat usage. It says it updates every 20 minutes but that wasn't my experience. At the very end of my month, I had lots of data left over so I wanted to see exactly the speed I'd get once I get speed limited. Long story short, I thought I was still on my last day and was using up my left over data. The next day it showed up on my 1st day of new cycle. It showed I used over 3GB worth of data on the first day of my new month. Suffice it to say, I was quite annoyed at that. I thought I was using up all the data  on the last day of my previous cycle. XM charged it into my new cycle.

Also, I want to fully understand from XM when the cycle switches over. I am situated in California and normally would be in Pacific Time. But during my switch over, I was in Mountain Time Zone. I'd like to know when exactly is the switch overe. Is it 12 am Eastern Time? Or 12am the time zone of your physical billing address? That makes a difference. KenF? 

Official Employee

Lakino, It should align with your billing address. Do you know the bill cycle dates?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

Lakino wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Untitled.png

thanks. that's helpful. I'll read the whole thread when I get back home.

It is interesting that you can go to a page from the index. However, I went to page 2 from the index but then couldn't get to page 1 or 3 and there was no indication I could see on the page that told me there were more posts to that thread that I couldn't get access to from page 2. Very confusing.

Most Valued Poster

Ouch that hurts. That is the experiment that I have been trying to avoid so I won't end up with a large bill as well.  You were trying to see the drop in speed. If we are paying by the Gig there shouldn't be a drop in speed. They usually drop the speed in the unlimited plans so they won't be abused. But if we are paying full freight per GB the speed should remain at 4G LTE. Dosen't it?

Official Employee

That's correct, WindsurfMaui.

Ouch that hurts. That is the experiment that I have been trying to avoid so I won't end up with a large bill as well.  You were trying to see the drop in speed. If we are paying by the Gig there shouldn't be a drop in speed. They usually drop the speed in the unlimited plans so they won't be abused. But if we are paying full freight per GB the speed should remain at 4G LTE. Dosen't it?

With unlimited data, you get the first 20GB at 4GLTE. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

Lakino wrote:

Also, I want to fully understand from XM when the cycle switches over. I am situated in California and normally would be in Pacific Time. But during my switch over, I was in Mountain Time Zone. I'd like to know when exactly is the switch overe. Is it 12 am Eastern Time? Or 12am the time zone of your physical billing address? That makes a difference. KenF?

I am also wondering when the cycle switches over. I'm not sure whether it even happens at 12am, regardless of time zone. I'm in Pacific Time Zone and my last bill appeared to reset at around 6 or 7pm. My first billing cycle was Sep 19 - Oct 19 and my current is Oct 19 - Nov 19. First of all, these dates are confusing. Most companies would include Oct 19 in either billing cycle 1 or billing cycle 2, but they wouldn't list it in both cycles. Is usage on Oct 19 charged to cycle 1 or cycle 2? This had me curious, so I checked my bill throughout the day on Oct 19. During most of the day Xfinity reported my $24 bill and data usage for cycle 1. At about 7pm I saw that it was now reporting $0 and usage had been reset to 0.1GB. However, I don't know if this switchover time was accurate, or if it was just due to lag in the system. I agree that I've seen hours of lag between my actual usage and when Xfinity shows that usage.

If the cycle change for a Sep 19 - Oct 19 billing cycle does occur at 12:01am on Oct 19, then Xfinity should show that cycle as Sep 19 - Oct 18 to avoid any confusion about which cycle Oct 19 usage falls under. The online billing system should also immediately reflect the cycle change, regardless of any lag they may have in their data usage reporting. It's pretty bad if Xfinity can report that you are currently in cycle 1 but your usage is actually being charged to cycle 2.

EDIT: While I can't see when my data usage reset, I can view call/message history. I can see that an SMS at 4:20pm on Oct 19 was counted towards the Sep 19 - Oct 19 billing cycle. That says to me that maybe the billing cycle really did change at ~7pm on Oct 19. It certainly appears that it didn't change over before 4:20pm.

Contributor

-Mike wrote:

EDIT: While I can't see when my data usage reset, I can view call/message history. I can see that an SMS at 4:20pm on Oct 19 was counted towards the Sep 19 - Oct 19 billing cycle. That says to me that maybe the billing cycle really did change at ~7pm on Oct 19. It certainly appears that it didn't change over before 4:20pm.

Could the cycle switch time is set referencing to the activation time of the first line on the account? Since the billing cycle begins with the date of activation of the first line (though in my case it's the next day). I don't have enough call/message density to test this theory.

Regular Contributor

SunnyRadGal wrote:

Could the cycle switch time is set referencing to the activation time of the first line on the account? Since the billing cycle begins with the date of activation of the first line (though in my case it's the next day). I don't have enough call/message density to test this theory.

I was also wondering whether it was tied to activation time. However, the timing I saw didn't quite line up. The data usage and billing in the Xfinity app reset at approximately 7pm on Oct 19, while my first phone was activated at 10:18pm on Sep 19. Like you, I don't have enough call/message density to confirm the exact changeover time.

This was my timeline:

Sep 19, 10:18pm PDT: Phone #1 activated, billing period listed on account as Sep 19 - Oct 19

Oct 19, ~4pm PDT: Billing on app/online shows bill at $24, 1.8GB, current cycle is still Sep 19 - Oct 19.

Oct 19, 4:20pm PDT: SMS received, appears on Sep 19 - Oct 19 bill.

Oct 19, ~7pm PDT: Billing on app/online shows bill reset to $0, 0.1GB, new cycle is Oct 19 - Nov 19.

Oct 20, 8:20am PDT: SMS received, appears on Oct 19 - Nov 19 bill.

Problem Solver

mvenanzi wrote:

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Felt the same way, found it, had to turn on data to get to it. Setting to 25Mb to see what happens.

As I mentioned above, I turned on mobile data with data limits/warning feature set on phone to see what happens. Today was the first day the phone is showing mobile data used 114KB = 0.144MB = 0.000114GB. Went to xf mobile account and xf is showing 0.1GB used. Prior to this I had mobile data turn off and account and phone always reported 0.0GB. Seems to me that the website reports 0.1GB as soon as you use any mobile data. About half of the 114KB used was from background app use, not sure what used the other half. Looked at each app and all have a switch to turn off background mobile data usage except the Android OS.

Most Valued Poster

my billing period runs from the 7th of the month to the 6th. I always assumed it was midnight EST but I never tracked it.

Most Valued Poster

I usually don't see my record show 0.1GB until I cross the double digit of MB usage.

Official Employee

SunnyRadGal wrote:

I was also wondering whether it was tied to activation time. However, the timing I saw didn't quite line up. The data usage and billing in the Xfinity app reset at approximately 7pm on Oct 19, while my first phone was activated at 10:18pm on Sep 19. Like you, I don't have enough call/message density to confirm the exact changeover time.

This was my timeline:

Sep 19, 10:18pm PDT: Phone #1 activated, billing period listed on account as Sep 19 - Oct 19

Oct 19, ~4pm PDT: Billing on app/online shows bill at $24, 1.8GB, current cycle is still Sep 19 - Oct 19.

Oct 19, 4:20pm PDT: SMS received, appears on Sep 19 - Oct 19 bill.

Oct 19, ~7pm PDT: Billing on app/online shows bill reset to $0, 0.1GB, new cycle is Oct 19 - Nov 19.

Oct 20, 8:20am PDT: SMS received, appears on Oct 19 - Nov 19 bill.

Hey -Mike,

It is important to note that our billing cycle don't start and end on the same numerical date. For example, a billing cycle wouldn't open and close on the 19th of both months. Instead, it would either open on the 19th and close on the 20th of the following month, or open on the 20th of the months and then close on the 19th of the following month. Not sure if this impacts your findings. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

KenF, it sure looks to me like my billing cycle begins and ends on the 19th.
0507C5C1-0008-4221-8762-E79E6D1D2E47.png
Official Employee

-Mike, if you send me a private message with your full name and address, I can tell you for sure. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

Mike mine says Oct 7 - Nov 6, 2017.  Interesting that yours includes both days.

Official Employee

Mike mine says Oct 7 - Nov 6, 2017.  Interesting that yours includes both days.

Yeah billing cycles usually look like this. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

My billing cycle begins and ends on the 24th.

cycle.jpg

Most Valued Poster

siudimsum wrote:

My billing cycle begins and ends on the 24th.

cycle.jpg

Then it must be a time zone issue. What time zone do you live in?